EQ Never

belfast_sl

shitlord
It's going to be interesting.. I just assumed combat collision is in. I assumed that when i saw the Ice wall and destructible terrain. I guess I'm more worried that mobs will be running through a jungle gym at times. I put up an ice wall and dig a hole behind it. Mob breaks ice wall and falls into hole. Rinse/repeat.. stuff like that. It's fun at first but over time? I'm going to continue to put some faith in just not knowing all the details and wait and see.
I will say that if people liked and thought EQ had a lot of character because it allowed for things like splitting, kiting, training, etc., this game will be able to do those things an order of magnitude better/more. If they don't cockblock us from it, like games like to do to anything fun or interesting as of late.

Imagine digging a mob pit ala minecraft, collecting a shitload of skeletons, and dropping them on someone's head. This is like the difference between 2d emergent gameplay and 3d emergent gameplay.

If the AI is too smart, there *has* to be one of two things: taunt, or physical blocking (no clipping). In every example the mob wants to kill the high dps class or healer because that makes sense to preserve its life. The only thing causing there to even be a useful tank/fighter role is taunt or environmental restrictions on the AI that don't give them an alternative.

They already said there are no taunts but have alluded to "intercepts." I don't see how it could be fun if every single encounter is going to involve manipulating enough environment to restrict the AI for a fighter class (whirlwinding around a mob until its left standing on a platform? ), but it does seem fun as hell for the casters (ice walls, blowing holes in the ground, etc). I predict we should all be casters/ranged classes.
That old, pass?, rickshaw-level D&D has a few suggestions here

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemasterin...neuver-Defense

Moving, Tripping, Grappling, Sundering weapons and armors, Overrunning, Dragging, Disarming, etc. All maneuvers that can realistically be given to melee classes to enable battlefield control.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I will say that if people liked and thought EQ had a lot of character because it allowed for things like splitting, kiting, training, etc., this game will be able to do those things an order of magnitude better/more. If they don't cockblock us from it, like games like to do to anything fun or interesting as of late.

Imagine digging a mob pit ala minecraft, collecting a shitload of skeletons, and dropping them on someone's head. This is like the difference between 2d emergent gameplay and 3d emergent gameplay.
yep, I'm hopeful.. Like I said before I loved all those utility abilities and they've seem to fall to the waste side for no good reason. AI certainly didn't get better so may as well let players have fun using that stuff and giving classes a real sense of worth/meaning.

zzeris

King Turd of Shit Hill
<Gold Donor>
I don't understand the "it's fun the first time, fun for casters not tanks, Ping-Pong matches, etc". In EQ, if the tank did not get aggro, was there a ping pong effect? If the healer got aggro for a few seconds until the tank got it back, was this not a ping pong effect? GW2 has already shown where the system needs improvement so I'm pretty sure these devs saw that issue or have been told repeatedly about it. There is no difference in using ice walls, stuns, slows, terrain deformation, etc and using the 'taunt' button in true effect outside of the previous options being much, much cooler and better overall.

Where did the 'fun' of tanking come from really? This argument of tanking needing to be uber fun must be a new one. Every time I've ever tanked, it's absorb/prevent damage, place mob for optimum benefit, prevent other party member's deaths....anything missing here? Isn't the fun in a job well done? So what is truly different here? When did tanks start getting fireballs, ice comets, etc to make it flashy and 'fun'? Do DPS really use 6-8 spells every time they fight? Let's get real here. Saying this system is a lot different than current gaming hasn't been shown to be true. There are just more options. BETTER players can adapt. Isn't that the goal of many posters here? To show you are better?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Sorry, I have to agree with "Chris" here, it sounds like he understands WoW's limitations better. I mean, how does Dave expect the WoW "tank" as designed at the time of this post (IE very narrow, 2009 defined roles) to "jump back and help if there is a flank"? With what abilities? Snares the bosses are immune to? Stuns they are immune to? Agro that won't be there thanks to these changes? This is WHY Chris talked about having to rebalance the classes of the game to account for new AI. The fact is, all of WoW's classes were designed around very narrow roles--and the bosses have a lot of specialized rules in place that do not allow the kind of leeway to help other classes you find in PvP (Snare immunity, high HP, Stun immunity ect.)
But thats his whole point hes trying to make, or at least the way I understood it, that they would in fact need to be redesigned with other skills not limiting classes to the same old tank, dps, heals trinity, therefore not limiting a tank to just stand there and whack buttons while reading his aggro meter if he should whack them faster. The healer would have to have more abilities than just heals as well as the mage and rogue characers having other skills as well.

Also while the Ai of the boss or the general mob is now smarter, so he does not need a million more hitpoints than you have. Mobs, even bosses can now have limited hit point pools. Now the trick is to outthink the mob rather than out dps him before the enrage timer goes off and your tank dies.

belfast_sl

shitlord
Now remove the taunt ability/augments that proc aggro, and remove the fact that the enemy is drawn to these things but instead wants to kill the things most responsible for it not living. Seems pretty clear.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
And add to that mobs using a host of abilities and skills not on timers, but reactive to what the players are doing.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Tanking, IMO, was never fun. In either WoW or EQ.
The most fun role I ever had in these games was pulling/splitting mobs as a monk. That role has pretty much been all but eliminated in the genre, so it's been hard for me to really find a lasting enjoyment in any MMO since. It was the feeling that you were an essential part to the success of the raid or group. Classes/roles are so watered down in other games by comparison.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
The most fun role I ever had in these games was pulling/splitting mobs as a monk. That role has pretty much been all but eliminated in the genre, so it's been hard for me to really find a lasting enjoyment in any MMO since. It was the feeling that you were an essential part to the success of the raid or group. Classes/roles are so watered down in other games by comparison.
Pretty much the same for me. I like tanking (and healing) in MMOs now. It may not be as fun as DPS because I don't see huge numbers on my screen or in my combat log, but I like playing a class where success is based on me playing well. So many times in wow heroics it would be me and a guildy healer duoimg bosses because dumb DPS would die all the time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's the point I've been trying to make. We lost that fun stuff for no reason really. They added so much flavor to classes. I wouldn't say the games that went away from that class/role style had Group content that was anymore fun or challenging if anything it was less fun..

Going back to my Wizard in EQ. I loved quading! I enjoyed hitting new zones and just trying to quad random camps. It was just something I really enjoyed doing.. That shit is long gone from games.. What did we get in it's place? Nothing really.. just some solo questing. It really blows that game makers have moved away from all that cool shit.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
Lol. EQN subreddit has gone full NAZI. Only positive votes will be allowed ;-)

Don't they know? You never go full Nazi.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tad10 again. Yeah they just lost me on that, lol.

Srathor

Blackwing Lair Raider
Wow Vanilla AI was already quite smart. Tanks had to work to keep aggro. Some folks loved the challenge. They were the good tanks, the rockstars. Others hated the idea cause they were tanking because it got them groups not because they loved it. They wanted the system changed, so they could do more damage.

All the new Ai is going to do is make it less fun overall. You have 8 skills you can slot. If you have to take 2 of those skills to get the tools to control fights then you are just limiting the player to the 2 button gameplay of a taunt and an +aggro button. Wow had fantastic combat AI before they upped the aggro of tanks to Yawn status, before they took out the frustrating as shit npc abilities like Gouge (aggro suspension for the duration of gouge) Stuns, knockdowns, blinds, roots, snares, secondary target abilities, charms, wing buffets, aggro transfers and all the other mechanics wow used to get fights interesting.

Chasing down a monster is fun a few times. Every fight is fucking frustrating and eventually boring when you want to be the tank and have no tools that allow you to do that role. (See GW2)

Saying you can play your way then allowing you only a few ways to play is more frustrating than having a defined role and the tools to complete that role. Better to be honest and let folks choose than offer up false choices and frustrating mechanics and guise them in a cloak of bullshit PR speak.

I want action and reaction not smoke up my ass and a pat on the head for jumping through the hoops of some superdev who thinks they can reinvent the wheel. The wheel fucking works, use the tool in a smart way don't ignore it because you want to be a pretty special snowflake.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I don't see how anything anyone is suggesting here is "emergent". A mage outdamages everyone in a particular group so the mob always targets him. Guess what, that's a mage "tank". He re-slots his skills so he has more crowd control, now the rogue is outdamaging him and is always being targeted. Now we have a rogue tank. The rogue re-slots his skills so he has more escape tools, now the warrior is outdamaging him. Etc etc etc.

EQ1 already had all this. The taunt button didn't even work if I remember right, warriors would just be given a huge damage head start so they would hold aggro. Wizards had to watch how much damage they did so they wouldn't steal aggro because the mob wanted to rip their head off for being the biggest threat to its own safety. How is this shit even worth the amount of discussion it's getting? It's old hat. It's the same old shit we've already seen.

Everyone is saying "Oh but now we all have to take care of ourselves, it's totally different!". I will be very, very surprised if it doesn't turn into "Hey the death knight has the biggest HP pool, let him hit the mobs for 25 seconds first before the rest of us engage".

Bellringer_sl

shitlord
Well eqnext even in their demo showed things like creating walls of ice that blocked the path of the kobolds that they had to break it down so they can do physical object collision. Not sure if players themselves will have collision but even at this early state things like annivias wall or trundles poo pillar look very possible to do in eqnext.
That ability would have been much cooler if the spell would have raised the actual terrain rather than creating a wall from the atmosphere.

Carl_sl

shitlord
I don't see how anything anyone is suggesting here is "emergent". A mage outdamages everyone in a particular group so the mob always targets him. Guess what, that's a mage "tank". He re-slots his skills so he has more crowd control, now the rogue is outdamaging him and is always being targeted. Now we have a rogue tank. The rogue re-slots his skills so he has more escape tools, now the warrior is outdamaging him. Etc etc etc.

EQ1 already had all this. The taunt button didn't even work if I remember right, warriors would just be given a huge damage head start so they would hold aggro. Wizards had to watch how much damage they did so they wouldn't steal aggro because the mob wanted to rip their head off for being the biggest threat to its own safety. How is this shit even worth the amount of discussion it's getting? It's old hat. It's the same old shit we've already seen.

Everyone is saying "Oh but now we all have to take care of ourselves, it's totally different!". I will be very, very surprised if it doesn't turn into "Hey the death knight has the biggest HP pool, let him hit the mobs for 25 seconds first before the rest of us engage".
Theres nothing to build up in the sense that you are talking about, you can't get a lead on hate because there is no hate to get a lead on.

Running Dog_sl

shitlord
Enchanter in EQ was my most fun role ever in mmo's.
Yep, I was hoping the Priest in WoW would bring back that goodness but as soon as Sleep got axed the writing was on the wall, plus they didn't get illusions which were just hugely entertaining. Being one of the first to get Illusion:Werewolf on the server and getting a mate to run in front of you shouting "train to zone" in the starting areas was good times.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Holy crap this thread has blown up in the past few weeks. Is the any possibility we can get the mods to edit the first post with what's been learned so far?