EQ TLP 2024 Teek (Random loot) & Tormax (Traditional) #neckbeardnostalgia

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
No, they need to eat the loss, not us. This is pretty much the worst blunder I have ever seen. I know we talk shit on them, and various games, and too much brown, and wow lore became bipolar, and eve this and that... nothing even comes close to literally removing a real money value token straight out of an inventory. Its absurd.

Eating the loss would be the thing to do. As when you think about it, deleting the krono bought with fraudulent ways is really just making them have way too much CS work. Now you need people to basically handling that 24/7.

The only reason I can think they are deleting it, is worrying that the person buying is just filtering their krono to other accounts to try and hide it. So they take the nuclear approach and get rid of it all, instead of trying to investigate every account its going too.

Just launder it all through richgirl, imo.

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Why are they deleting them? I hear its cause they are fraudulent? I assume that is bought with stolen or fake CCs or something? So person A buys 10-20 with that number, uses that kr to buy w/e, that number gets reported or found its fake/stolen, so its charges are all removed/redacted. THen they go in and delete all the kr wherever it ended up. They could eat it sure, but its a corporation, so lets be honest. They at least reimburse it. How would you stop that? its not a patch to just implement and fix a bug.

Now if there is duped KR, well that is all on them. Or literally krono randomly poofing on its own, then sure.

Solve the issue entirely, remove KR from the game. :p
I pretty much gueseed it's due to credit card and debit card fraud.

Upon determining theft, banks will automatically charge back the account in question.

My guess, too, is someone is using a credential stuffer (there is no lockout if you bypass the launcher on attempting account logins) and stealing Krono by attaching a stolen credit card to the ac count on record. Older accounts have trust, which means they can get Krono faster. This results in legitimate old accounts getting banned and needing to repay the amount, or they may just opt to reverse the in-game currency. I think, given the nature of the compromises, they would opt to remove the Krono instead of ban the legitimate account that was compromised.

Since the eqmain.dll login actually bypasses any two-factor auth, it would be perfect for a cybercriminal to just blanketly test accounts without penalty.

As for the financial rationale:

For every Krono chargeback, you lose $35 on the chargeback generally, and $18 on the sale of the item. This happens to any game company that operates. Steam will generally eat the loss, but if you take credit card transactions directly, you eat the loss. If you work with Paypal, you eat the loss. I imagine Stripe is similar.

It's enough financial loss that it is worth removing the Krono, and each purchase will have an ID associated with it, thus each Krono will have an ID. They'll also likely flag the credit card up to be unusable.

So if you ended up with a fraudulent Krono, it'd be removed.

They need to automatically parcel the amount instead of having people petition. It will be ripe with fraud for other reasons otherwise. And it feels shitty for everyone.

Realistically, they need to lock down the eqmain.dll file login and disable it as a method. It will suck for boxers launching the game, but I am sure the third party program folks would write programs to use the launcher automatically anyway.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't enough about the backend to comment on the specifics. I just assume this company can't absorb the losses. They seem to be scraping by already.

Enough they feel the demand of constant CS attention is worth deleting them.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
They need to automatically parcel the amount instead of having people petition. It will be ripe with fraud for other reasons otherwise. And it feels shitty for everyone.

I wonder how much of the massive inflation on teek this generated plat is causing. Right now krono is about 400-500% higher than Oakwynd at the similar life of the server.

The tower repeatable quest caused about 10% of the current inflation. The bonus loot on teek is causing about 30% raw inflation. The number of players is causing about 50% of the inflation. Teek has double the amount of AErs and botters than Oalwynd did at this time. I could estimate thats causing 100% of the inflation.

So my numbers just don't add up. I can come up with 180% no where close to the 400-500%+ we are seeing.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If this is all related to fraudulent credit card use, why is this just all of a sudden a problem? You can't tell me this is the first time credit cards were being abused. Now it seems widespread.

I still lean more toward it being some coding/database fuckup.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If this is all related to fraudulent credit card use, why is this just all of a sudden a problem? You can't tell me this is the first time credit cards were being abused. Now it seems widespread.

I still lean more toward it being some coding/database fuckup.

There is a Chinese crew operating on ectunnel (just look for the China flag and anyone who just started selling recently with that flag). They have told many people they have unlimited krono for sale. They have told people they also have unlimited Daybreak cash available. I can only assume this is from CC fraud since they are not operating a crew on any server.

• 1Like

Greyman

Trakanon Raider
Need to just perma ban every single account that connects or has connected from China until we figure out what's going on.

• 1Like

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
You will ban a thousand people who vpnd into hong kong, and miss all the intended chinese farmers vpnd out.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Need to just perma ban every single account that connects or has connected from China until we figure out what's going on.

Are you calling for a full and complete shutdown on Chinese accts playing EQ, until we figure out what's going on?

We'd lose APlus though and everybody loves APlus.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
I'm no krono lord, but some of my buddies are. The amount of krono they've made from tower gear is insane, and of course some of it's poofed, but they get the plat back. The whole thing just seems like a complete cluster fuck. I feel like a damn fool for not trying to learn how to box and add some more accounts to take advantage of it. They've got their multiple accounts paid off for a couple years and had enough left over to buy another surface pro to load up another account on, all from selling that tower gear all day.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm no krono lord, but some of my buddies are. The amount of krono they've made from tower gear is insane, and of course some of it's poofed, but they get the plat back. The whole thing just seems like a complete cluster fuck. I feel like a damn fool for not trying to learn how to box and add some more accounts to take advantage of it. They've got their multiple accounts paid off for a couple years and had enough left over to buy another surface pro to load up another account on, all from selling that tower gear all day.

Meh. Sounds like turning your hobby into another job. Why not just work more hours instead of playing a game and buy that surface pro or pay for accounts.

No thanks.

I like having enough to pay for 2 accounts and the occasional item from time to time. Anything more just feels like a way to tell people how much you have or to sell it, which again the latter just becomes work.

I get the people who 6 box because they want an entire group controlled by them , so they can do things on their time when they feel like, or join another 6 box to do something. And you want to make enough kr to pay for those accounts. But just doing boxes to make Kr or playing purely to make it, no thanks.

To each their own, not my time.

• 1Like

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Meh. Sounds like turning your hobby into another job. Why not just work more hours instead of playing a game and buy that surface pro or pay for accounts.

No thanks.

I like having enough to pay for 2 accounts and the occasional item from time to time. Anything more just feels like a way to tell people how much you have or to sell it, which again the latter just becomes work.

I get the people who 6 box because they want an entire group controlled by them , so they can do things on their time when they feel like, or join another 6 box to do something. And you want to make enough kr to pay for those accounts. But just doing boxes to make Kr or playing purely to make it, no thanks.

To each their own, not my time.

Yeah, I wouldn't last long doing it either. Probably why I'm always poor in MMOs. Always looks tempting, though! I've definitely felt a bit like a 5th wheel in my playgroup, though. Everyone else has 2-3 characters they show up to group with and I come rolling in on my single shaman, the most boxed character ever, and just feel like a bit of a useless tool. Been nice just being able to essentially play as a pure dps, though.

Leaton

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I wouldn't last long doing it either. Probably why I'm always poor in MMOs. Always looks tempting, though! I've definitely felt a bit like a 5th wheel in my playgroup, though. Everyone else has 2-3 characters they show up to group with and I come rolling in on my single shaman, the most boxed character ever, and just feel like a bit of a useless tool. Been nice just being able to essentially play as a pure dps, though.

Quite a few boxes were garbage, but when you find a 3-5 box team that works great, my god the exp is awesome.

Some boxes were slow but, even though not group leader and box not bothering f to LFM, always find more do’s to fill up the spaces in box group for even better exp.

Had a nice break from pulling duties in LGuk from level 32 all the way to 42 with one in-group character boxing one Cleric and one Chanter OOG with the Chanter doing all the pulling and tanking at Hamlord. No deaths at all.

Korzax Stonehammer

Blackwing Lair Raider
Quite a few boxes were garbage, but when you find a 3-5 box team that works great, my god the exp is awesome.

Some boxes were slow but, even though not group leader and box not bothering f to LFM, always find more do’s to fill up the spaces in box group for even better exp.

Had a nice break from pulling duties in LGuk from level 32 all the way to 42 with one in-group character boxing one Cleric and one Chanter OOG with the Chanter doing all the pulling and tanking at Hamlord. No deaths at all.
Sounds like the classic EQ experience.

• 1Seriously?

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

The problem with doing EQ as a job is that unless you're in the top 0.1% of people who can effectively six-box, powerlevel, etc, most people aren't going to make much regardless of what they're doing. If the amount you make is below minimum wage, or what you'd be making by getting actual work done, then there's no point except to do it for fun, which it isn't. And if EQ-work isn't fun, then there's no point except to do it for the money, which isn't enough to justify doing it instead of just doing a regular job during those hours.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
1721111896398.png

New Tower gear for Wednesday. Ring will obviously lose the no trade tag and possibly the lore tag on Teek. I think there's also a new type 25 aug but it isn't better than the mana regen aug for anyone except the pure melees so not worried about that one.

Got a question: What class epics are good to do the Truespirit faction skip on? I've never used it before this server and did all the quests legit in the past. I know the faction skip is super-useful on SK, and on Wizard, the skip lets you start at the "what oil?" step which is pretty solid. What other classes can jump ahead on the epic to a useful enough degree that it's worth doing the skip?

Wondering in particular about Rogue and Druid.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I pretty much gueseed it's due to credit card and debit card fraud.

Upon determining theft, banks will automatically charge back the account in question.

My guess, too, is someone is using a credential stuffer (there is no lockout if you bypass the launcher on attempting account logins) and stealing Krono by attaching a stolen credit card to the ac count on record. Older accounts have trust, which means they can get Krono faster. This results in legitimate old accounts getting banned and needing to repay the amount, or they may just opt to reverse the in-game currency. I think, given the nature of the compromises, they would opt to remove the Krono instead of ban the legitimate account that was compromised.

Since the eqmain.dll login actually bypasses any two-factor auth, it would be perfect for a cybercriminal to just blanketly test accounts without penalty.

As for the financial rationale:

For every Krono chargeback, you lose $35 on the chargeback generally, and $18 on the sale of the item. This happens to any game company that operates. Steam will generally eat the loss, but if you take credit card transactions directly, you eat the loss. If you work with Paypal, you eat the loss. I imagine Stripe is similar.

It's enough financial loss that it is worth removing the Krono, and each purchase will have an ID associated with it, thus each Krono will have an ID. They'll also likely flag the credit card up to be unusable.

So if you ended up with a fraudulent Krono, it'd be removed.

Realistically, they need to lock down the eqmain.dll file login and disable it as a method. It will suck for boxers launching the game, but I am sure the third party program folks would write programs to use the launcher automatically anyway.
Isn't it bad enough that it could actually be a serious risk to DBG ? Like this will just become more rampant and they are losing money on every single chargeback. This is actually pretty scary if you're a fan of EQ remaining live. maybe I'm overreacting but I remember some other game had a bad chargeback problem and they were losing a fuck ton of money.