EQ TLP - Oakwynd (Evolving Ruleset Progression Server)

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
Out of Combat regen used to be TSS but has been brought forward to Gates.

30 seconds after you stop fighting in general solo/group play, in raid zones it's typically 5 minutes. You will regen back to full health/mana/endurance in about 3 mins max after it kicks in, regardless of pool size because it's percentage based.

how much does this trivialize classes like shamans with canni and enchanter with clarity?

are enchanters even needed because of this in excess?

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
how much does this trivialize classes like shamans with canni and enchanter with clarity?

If I have to wait 30 seconds before the puller pulls a new mob I’d be pissed.
Mana regen things very much still needed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I’m thinking of going in on a bard, I know it will be hell but I’ve played a bard to 70 with 110 AA on mangler but started in POP so I never did classic bard. Also never raided bard.

How viable is charm kiting on TLP in classic? What is old world raiding like for a bard beyond twisting resists and mana? I feel like I don’t remember them being on pull teams ever. Just curious the role. I’m super newb on raiding in general. I have probably 20 max level characters over the years just never got sweaty, just liked the thrill of the hunt. Figure now is the time to try it for something to do after the kids go to bed now that I’m California sober lol

Trying to remember. When the charm cost no mana, its feasable, but as soon as it cost mana, you just dont have the pool or regen to farm with it. I want to say without looking the first charm was like 27 and no mana, but only went up to like 38 level mobs? The charms after do higher but cost mana.

I basically used charm as an emergency short term CC/extra dps in group or on a named. Otherwise chant kiting was basically how I solo'd(which i barely ever did). Especially as iirc they nerfed the ae DD, so no farming fire fields.

Raiding in classic and any dragon really, was resist, with regen and mana, and/or dot song(to debuff that resist). Don't really pull on raids, until fade or something like open field dragons(EJ or skyfire one). Or maybe fear once geared. And kite bees around forever, so they can be peeled off.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Too bad Vainglorious Shout got so nerfed. I remember playing as a bard box and kiting like 50 mobs with it. Had to play chicken with the oncoming death-blob (which meant being aware of about how many there were so you didn't overpull and cause lag). Soon as the train got close enough, wham, hit Vainglorious and then back the hell up and get out of the way. One slight miscalculation and you're splat. Get it right enough times in a row and boom, 50 obliterated mobs and a big pile of AAs.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Dirge was the one I was talking about. Could kite field 1 or 2 in fire with it, PoN animals or almost all of maidens eye etc. I think they changed it to max targets now(7 maybe? I dunno).

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
so I downloaded Everquest and gave it a shot.

sorry folks but idk how you even consider this thing playable. not knocking it but its like almost a quarter century old and it sure as fuck shows.

this is the quickest i've ever uninstalled anything in my life.

No need to apologize, I doubt anyone was emotionally invested in you playing this

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm

sorry folks but idk how you even consider this thing playable. not knocking it but its like almost a quarter century old and it sure as fuck shows.

Bro some of these fucking LOSERS here play even older games. Like one time a few fohers showed their game of chess - have you seen the graphics? That shit is like pre atari or something. Holy fuck what a crappy looking game.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
also im stupid so let me confirm this one last time. The drop rules mean any no drop become heirloom.

So lets say im on my bard. And a sweet Caster ring drops no drop, everyone in the group has one, I can loot it, bank it over to an alt and they can equip and use.

So in theory, nothing should ever rot, and all alts should be twinked somewhat easy with no drop gear, so the economy will be different. Not mischief type distruptiion, but we wont short on gear as a server for alts in theory. Hell, if you were so inclined you could twink a level 1 warrior in full planar gear if you could get your hands on it, although I dont remember when required level gears started

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
also im stupid so let me confirm this one last time. The drop rules mean any no drop become heirloom.

So lets say im on my bard. And a sweet Caster ring drops no drop, everyone in the group has one, I can loot it, bank it over to an alt and they can equip and use.

So in theory, nothing should ever rot, and all alts should be twinked somewhat easy with no drop gear, so the economy will be different. Not mischief type distruptiion, but we wont short on gear as a server for alts in theory. Hell, if you were so inclined you could twink a level 1 warrior in full planar gear if you could get your hands on it, although I dont remember when required level gears started
Level limits don't start until Luclin.

One thing about it being heirloom is in a pug I'm guessing you can expect everyone to roll because they all have alts or future alts.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden

One thing about it being heirloom is in a pug I'm guessing you can expect everyone to roll because they all have alts or future alts.

Fair point. But im just imagining all the Velious no Drops being on rotation that usually rot in TLP when you have 3 instances. Could be substantial. What paladin is paying much for a sword of morning when so many alts will have the Lower Dogs Paladin sword.

But your point is valid, and even more when you think of what camps are used the most.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>

It's only after Gates, and what normally happens is you'll keep pulling while the healer just doesn't do anything and meds to full ooc.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Ohh its definitely playable. The thing is you need to give it a while and then you will settle in and get used to all of its nuances. I think last time I played this was a few years ago and same thing, you log on and say WTF is this shit? But then you play it a while and it gets really really cozy until you no longer see the flaws of it being an older game. And its really a great game, even by todays standards. The gameplay stands the test of time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider

Some velious shit has req levels, mainly some of the ST stuff like primals.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Ohh its definitely playable. The thing is you need to give it a while and then you will settle in and get used to all of its nuances. I think last time I played this was a few years ago and same thing, you log on and say WTF is this shit? But then you play it a while and it gets really really cozy until you no longer see the flaws of it being an older game. And its really a great game, even by todays standards. The gameplay stands the test of time.

Yeah, EQ still has really solid gameplay.

Sylas Sylas The problem is that the worst part is the very beginning. Probably level 1-8 or so. You move slow, miss a lot, have no gear, and most of the noob yards are pretty bland. Class choice is also a big factor, some classes at those levels are even more of a chore than others. I think the only classes that are actually fun in the first 8 levels are like...monk/enchanter/necro/shaman and those might even be pushing it.

I could see why like half the people who try EQ probably tap out in the first few levels. It gets better as it goes along.

Jasker

brown Officer please /brown
Going shaman, fyi. To start at least.

Looking for duo and trio people, and more. Hopefully I can find a SK or MNK friend or two.

I had a dream where six of us made mages. Not sure.

Sylas

<Bronze Donator>
can you turn off luclin models still? I think that was a big part of the wtf factor trying to fire this shit up after 20 years of not playing it.

also lol look at all these faggots in this thread who can't read. stop trying to sell me on this like I never fucking played, lol.

The gameplay of this was absolute ass. it doesn't stand up the even 2003 standards which is why it basically became "a tale in the desert" the moment an actually polished MMO released and it has remained there in the bargain bin tub at walmart along with every other garbage game next to the 2 for 5 DVDs of late 90 buddy cop films.

The only thing this game has is nostalgia but like I said, main'd a rogue there is no nostalgia there for combat or gameplay. it was the first 3d virtual world and despite being generic fantasy the world holds a special place. I can fondly remember guk and lake rathetear or aviaks in south ro and shit like that while simultaneously recognizing how absolute ass the game was and from the looks of it, still is.

with all the talk about this new TLP and how devs weren't listening and trying to force through some gay change called FTE, it got me thinking and maybe, give it a shot you know?
it's disappointing I was hoping that this would be classic EQ but TLPs aren't classic, they are just live retail game without access to certain zones or features until X unlock happens.

Like I said the gameplay is not worthy of a second thought and I never looked back after quitting, I never had interest in any of the private server or planet 1999 or whatever it was called trying to come up with a classic realm. I had hoped that's what TLPs were but I guess not.

Last edited:
  • 1EyeRoll

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Every group is better for having a bard. You are not expected to pull until Planes for groups but the good ones still can however its more of a practice and location thing. Plus every group will have a couple monks, one of them should be pulling in dungeons. Noone will really care if you have to go afk for a reasonable time as you are always contributing.

Charm kiting works but I never liked soling in EQ, but I've seen it done, its okay but soloing in EQ is OKAY at best really anyways.

Raiding on a bard is probably the most boring shit I have ever done however, so really if you can box one even if its set as your main I recommend it for raids.
I was in groups on Mischief where I'd be "Aight guys i gotta go" and get the "NO YOU STAY, just sing songs and afk as long as you want". Also pulled a majority of the time which was fine by me as the groups usually had someone that was ok with giving me a breather. Honestly the thing I hated most about bard was raiding, group play was 100% a better time.