EQemu - Nagafen's Lair (Reborn)

WHAT DO NOW?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deruvian

Lord Nagafen Raider
I tried a similar combo when I started. NTOV took almost 7 hours. After that, I threw in the towel and rethought what I needed to bring to the table to progress in a way that still felt fun.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Looks like a rogue might be joining the party then
I'd replace the DRU with a SHM as well. Much better buffs and you're going to really hate not having slow.

The only way I can really see getting away from having a shaman in a 3 man is by using a BST as your DPS.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider
I'd replace the DRU with a SHM as well. Much better buffs and you're going to really hate not having slow.

The only way I can really see getting away from having a shaman in a 3 man is by using a BST as your DPS.

Looks like I've got some leveling to do, haha

Thanks for all the info

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Speaking of raid mobs, is Velious the point where you at least need a group to down the higher end stuff? I got through Veeshans easily with the exception of PD with my 3 box of War/Dru/Brd and haven't tried anything in Vel outside of killing Lodizal which doesn't really count

Pretty much anything is possible in Velious when you can bind anywhere and there be no exp loss for dying. Just depends how much you want to cheese it.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nek has been broken on this server since the beginning. It has never worked. Just have to avoid it entirely.

For mob killability: Aside from some PoP gods, I was able to 2 box my way into EP minis before they even allowed 3 boxing. Shm was super powerful with slow and Puma line though. Plus infinite mana with Manastone / Canni and Torpor. YMMV with other classes.

Server support is near dead though. I am still a GM if anyone is completely stuck in world, etc. I don't play here anymore though. PM me here or Discord if you need a hand.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Anyone know of an emu server where a lot could be accomplished without boxing? Somewhere that has worthwhile bots or something like that. I did the Imperium server a couple years ago which was fun but required boxing at the high end cause the bots started to get 1 shot.

Drakain

Trakanon Raider
Anyone know of an emu server where a lot could be accomplished without boxing? Somewhere that has worthwhile bots or something like that. I did the Imperium server a couple years ago which was fun but required boxing at the high end cause the bots started to get 1 shot.
There was a group of FoH folks who were on Stormhaven for a while when This server got nuked last September. I tried it out but it wasn't for me. I quit EQ live after PoP was out but before the next expansion so Stormhaven was like a whole new game, plus being almost 100% custom. I just remember getting a merc in the second or third zone and not knowing how to use them effectively. You can get through most of the game solo with mercy, but the end game I heard you needed groups.

I had never boxed with MQ before Nag's Lair, but I found its not that hard once you get into it.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme

AX Classic Everquest Bots

These guys have done extensive work on bots and if you are interested in that sort of thing, check them out. They stay pretty true to the "old school" numbers (needing 2 - 3 groups to do Naggy/Vox, 60+ by the time to you get to PoP). It was fun for a bit, but I soon realised, I was watching the game play itself. Bots tank FAR FAR FAR better then any PC can with NPC ac stats and I quickly realised I could stand naked watching my bots kill things and it wouldn't make any difference. But it was super casual friendly as you have a ready and willing group/raid every time you log in that you hand picked yourself and geared.

• 1Like

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There was a group of FoH folks who were on Stormhaven for a while when This server got nuked last September. I tried it out but it wasn't for me. I quit EQ live after PoP was out but before the next expansion so Stormhaven was like a whole new game, plus being almost 100% custom. I just remember getting a merc in the second or third zone and not knowing how to use them effectively. You can get through most of the game solo with mercy, but the end game I heard you needed groups.

I had never boxed with MQ before Nag's Lair, but I found its not that hard once you get into it.

Yea, I led the move to Stormhaven. Lots of us enjoyed it quite a bit. The amount of custom content is 2nd to none. You can still enjoy the server, but the very top end you will need to 6 box at a minimum. I would still say 80% of the content you can get by with the bots. The overall problem is, the server in its heyday had hundreds of people playing and content is tuned accordingly. So for the last 20% of end game content, there is simply no one else around to defeat it.

I have been playing the last couple months on Raid Addicts, which advertises as solo friendly. You start with a War bot and later quest for a monk, druid, paladin (war replacement), wiz, and ranger bots. A lot of people end up giving up on the bots and simply box. The truth is, you have to invest all the time on gearing and fully augging your bots as if they were real chars. They CAN do everything but the very top content of the server. This isn't much of an issue though, as the top content was designed to get people grouping anyway. It's definitely worth a look if you want to try something different. It's one of the oldest Emu servers around and there's endless custom content to work on.

raidaddicts.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The wiki needs a bit of work, but you get the overall idea of the server.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
AX Classic Everquest Bots

These guys have done extensive work on bots and if you are interested in that sort of thing, check them out. They stay pretty true to the "old school" numbers (needing 2 - 3 groups to do Naggy/Vox, 60+ by the time to you get to PoP). It was fun for a bit, but I soon realised, I was watching the game play itself. Bots tank FAR FAR FAR better then any PC can with NPC ac stats and I quickly realised I could stand naked watching my bots kill things and it wouldn't make any difference. But it was super casual friendly as you have a ready and willing group/raid every time you log in that you hand picked yourself and geared.

That sounds pretty interesting. So you can fully gear up your bot raid? Is there much control over them? How do they level, etc? Could be just the thing for me to casually scratch an eq itch and play a rogue, since I can't dedicate to things like the new TLP server and don't want to deal with boxing/MQ etc

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Yea, I led the move to Stormhaven. Lots of us enjoyed it quite a bit. The amount of custom content is 2nd to none. You can still enjoy the server, but the very top end you will need to 6 box at a minimum. I would still say 80% of the content you can get by with the bots. The overall problem is, the server in its heyday had hundreds of people playing and content is tuned accordingly. So for the last 20% of end game content, there is simply no one else around to defeat it.

I have been playing the last couple months on Raid Addicts, which advertises as solo friendly. You start with a War bot and later quest for a monk, druid, paladin (war replacement), wiz, and ranger bots. A lot of people end up giving up on the bots and simply box. The truth is, you have to invest all the time on gearing and fully augging your bots as if they were real chars. They CAN do everything but the very top content of the server. This isn't much of an issue though, as the top content was designed to get people grouping anyway. It's definitely worth a look if you want to try something different. It's one of the oldest Emu servers around and there's endless custom content to work on.

I'll check this one out too. Are all classes viable to be played by PC? A key part is that I really want to play a rogue.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'll check this one out too. Are all classes viable to be played by PC? A key part is that I really want to play a rogue.

Sadly, Rogue is one of the worst classes currently. Server Dev just got back from vacation today and I know a Rogue revamp is on his list of to-dos. They are basically lacking in DPS and have a weak Epic 5.0, aside from that they are fine. You could start one and hope he gets around to fixing them before you get to upper content or you can try something else.

I will say, the Dev here is super active. After all these years, the guy still pops on nearly every day.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
That sounds pretty interesting. So you can fully gear up your bot raid? Is there much control over them? How do they level, etc? Could be just the thing for me to casually scratch an eq itch and play a rogue, since I can't dedicate to things like the new TLP server and don't want to deal with boxing/MQ etc

Not only CAN you gear your bots, but you darn well better. Naked bots go pop pretty damn fast when taking on raid targets. They level like normal bots. When you level, any bots you summon will be of the new level and you can auto-level any bots currently spawned with #botupdate.

As far as control goes, they have some pretty good bot commands, but it really is like running an old-school guild, you only have so much control. Setting your tanks and telling the raid "go kill that" is most of the control you'll have. With practice and some scripting you can setup off-tank commands, but that will take a little work.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Not only CAN you gear your bots, but you darn well better. Naked bots go pop pretty damn fast when taking on raid targets. They level like normal bots. When you level, any bots you summon will be of the new level and you can auto-level any bots currently spawned with #botupdate.

As far as control goes, they have some pretty good bot commands, but it really is like running an old-school guild, you only have so much control. Setting your tanks and telling the raid "go kill that" is most of the control you'll have. With practice and some scripting you can setup off-tank commands, but that will take a little work.

Is leveling solo friendly or do people use 6man groups (5 bots / 1 player)? Standard group builds like on live, e.g. tank, cleric, slower, etc? Also what is leveling speed like?

I notice their server rules say no macroquest; can they actually detect it? I used it on most Emu I played just for the maps.

If all of this type of stuff is covered on their site, just let me know :p

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Most people use a full group for botting since group xp bonus counts the bots and it makes killing faster. Leveling speed is set to normal because of the Ladder competition that begins every 6 months (Jan - Jun, Jul - Dec). First to 65 gets special item, etc. You get special items at certain levels anyway, even if you aren't the first to them.

dyadestrant

Molten Core Raider

Huh, this seems interesting

I'll keep on NL as long as its running, but the custom content seems like it might be fun

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Most people use a full group for botting since group xp bonus counts the bots and it makes killing faster. Leveling speed is set to normal because of the Ladder competition that begins every 6 months (Jan - Jun, Jul - Dec). First to 65 gets special item, etc. You get special items at certain levels anyway, even if you aren't the first to them.

Any idea on mq usage? Just for maps really. Also what expac does this go up to? Spawn timers for raid mobs? Are placeholders in, etc? Back from vacation on Saturday, probably get this and the RaidAddict one up and running next week.

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Brikker Brikker
I used MQ strictly for maps and nobody ever said anything. Likely, you would only be banned if it became obvious you were using it, targeting stuff from the other side of the zone, etc.

Time is the final regular zone on the server, but there is custom content for the PoP is the last finished expansion, but they are SLOWLY working on others.

Spawn time for raid mobs are severly decreased. I think a couple hours for classic stuff, but gradually goes up to 24 hours for PoP.

There are PH's. Spawn times aren't ridiculous (Hadden is under an hour).

There are no PoK books and PoK stones will not port you to cities. Learn to use your druid/wiz bot ports.

• 1Like

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Thanks for the info. Kinda like the idea of running around with my 5 bots and just doing nostalgia stuff and duneon crawls. Just hoping it's more or less all doable as if it was a real group. I imagine pulling will be the hardest since I'm gonna play a halfling rogue. We'll see how annoying raid spawns are when I get to that point!