EVE Online

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
How do people set up their overview? It seems like there are only a few option that than built in categories.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
How do people set up their overview? It seems like there are only a few option that than built in categories.
You can google for "eve overview guide". I've seen a couple of different setups, and some corps probably have a custom built one they distribute...

Overview Guide - UniWiki

Anything Eve-Uni is a good place to start. I suggest apping to them, too... CCP released statistics once that revealed new players that joined Eve-Uni had an astronomically higher chance of subscribing past the first month.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Just installed that sara thing. No idea what I'm looking at really. I have 5 tabs now. Time to learn stuff.

Ok this one won't let me see astroids and shit.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Looks like this is 75% off on steam now FYI. I'm always tempted to try it (and the video on Steam is really inspiring lol)

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Don't buy it on Steam, the account sign-in shit is goofy if you do it that way. Game only costs a monthly subscription anyway, so no reason to tie it to Steam.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I know we have a couple newbies from the board who joined FW lately, If either of you want to do stuff sometime come over to the cal/gal warzone nearby where I live. Amarr can do plex in gallente space also and still get LP.

I also have a bunch of random assets strewn about FW lowsec. I contracted 7jean all my stuff in egghelende if that is you Ronne. Any other newbies who wants stuff i still have a bunch of random ships and modules all around those areas to give away.

Solo pvp is best mostly avoided as a new character. Learning to avoid fights and travel around in eve is actually pretty important. The one exception imo is if you in a newbie brawler ship like a merlin and see a kitey ship like a condor/kestrel/navy slicer about to enter your plex. Typically even a newbie can beat a kitey ship with a brawler if your ontop of it and get scram/web down. Learning the attributes, strengths, weaknesses and common strategy's of various ships takes time and experience.

If your a newbie and want to feel like your actually contributing to fleets I would recommend training Caldari frig, small hybrids and gal frigs. Merlins are pretty great DPS ships and have very solid tanks, Gal frigs are very solid also. In fights vs bigger stuff you can use Maulus and Griffin. When you hit your second month or so of eve you should then be able to have
Damn dude, this is like x100 what I owned up until this point, will make it a lot less painful building Merlins over and over again to go get blown up in.

For now I'm still training generalist stuff like powergrid and cpu upgrades, then mostly focusing on some of the generic gunnery like tracking/sharpshooting etc. Mostly only flying Merlins for now, but eventually I'll need to move up to something larger, but that seems a long, long ways off. Plenty to train for now just to stop sucking as frigate piloting. Only thing I'm not really sure on is if I should try and get some frigates to 5 for tech 2 ships, or should I save that for later? I don't really know if progression makes more sense staying in smaller tech 2 stuff or upgrading in to the cruiser/battleship range?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Are the Sej updates worth looking in to? I don't know much about the champ. I'm sure the mana changes help a ton.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Odd. Thought I was in the LOL thread.

Anyway, I finished all the tutorials. Got a Destroyer, need to train it up for about 6 hours.

Now I just need to figure out which direction to go. Industrial, Exploration or PVP. Dunno yet.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Whatever you do, find a player corp to do it in. Even for mining/industry as you'll never get access to more valuable ore without a low/null sec mining corp to protect you.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Plenty to train for now just to stop sucking as frigate piloting. Only thing I'm not really sure on is if I should try and get some frigates to 5 for tech 2 ships, or should I save that for later? I don't really know if progression makes more sense staying in smaller tech 2 stuff or upgrading in to the cruiser/battleship range?
Personally I would go for a single racial frig V, I like Caldari because it gives you Harpies (the best assault frig in the game imo). Then go for a racial cruiser you like, although it might make sense to train a few of them to III as stuff like ewar ect.. can be useful with lowish skills. Vexor Navy issue is pretty OP and can be flown very well with only Gal Cruiser III-IV and not so amazing drone skills.

Basically if you enjoy the small stuff focus on that, otherwise I would go for cruiser/BS. Particularly if you want to move out of fac war eventually.

Edit: the new ship graphics since Rhea look unfucking believably good. This video looks nice but it actually does not do many of them justice.EVE Online: Rhea Release Feature Tour - YouTube

Easily the best looking spaceships I have seen in a video game. blows away the models I have seen from Star Citizen.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
Odd. Thought I was in the LOL thread.

Anyway, I finished all the tutorials. Got a Destroyer, need to train it up for about 6 hours.

Now I just need to figure out which direction to go. Industrial, Exploration or PVP. Dunno yet.
Technically, PvP is more or less necessity you'll meet up with either Mining or Exploration. Mining especially. You should see them short-term-neutrals in Providence, who see a mining barge and can't resist shooting it, causing 50mil of dmg then losing their shit+pod on the way out for twice+ the value
wink.png
And certain vultures will shoot you for being in a relic/data site before them just out of spite, even though certain regions have rules against that.

You'll still have to have a side-job even if you go pure PvP since just PvP won't actually cover all your costs unless you catch officer/faction fitted ships unawares and loot fairy rewards you greatly. FW is an exception to that.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Truly, faction warfare is a money tree that shall never end.

First real fleet op tomorrow, pretty sure I'm mostly going to die a whole bunch in shitty ewar frigates.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Technically, PvP is more or less necessity you'll meet up with either Mining or Exploration. Mining especially. .
I can't remember mining in low/null EVER being more profitable than high. High is just too safe; you can watch Netflix while making 80 percent of the income of a null miner that has to be constantly alert. So saying PVP/mining go hand in hand is silly.

Draegan, if you "get into" Eve, you will absolutely want a second account specifically for this reason. Your PVP account can train relevant skills to how you want to PVP (inty, t3, etc etc) while your PVE account handles the boring-ness that is ISK and logistics (grinding the ISK, purchasing the gear, having it shipped out to your stomping grounds). There is some overlap, but honestly the benefits of two accounts is so strong that I suspect a majority of "serious Eve" players dual account.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I can't remember mining in low/null EVER being more profitable than high. High is just too safe; you can watch Netflix while making 80 percent of the income of a null miner that has to be constantly alert. So saying PVP/mining go hand in hand is silly.

Draegan, if you "get into" Eve, you will absolutely want a second account specifically for this reason. Your PVP account can train relevant skills to how you want to PVP (inty, t3, etc etc) while your PVE account handles the boring-ness that is ISK and logistics (grinding the ISK, purchasing the gear, having it shipped out to your stomping grounds). There is some overlap, but honestly the benefits of two accounts is so strong that I suspect a majority of "serious Eve" players dual account.
Depends on the system/region. 1 hour of your mining, even if hassle free, doesn't come close to what I make with mining in null
wink.png
And you can still get killed in Highsec, SOV null is probably safer than high nowadays. You get roamers and such, but that's what intel channels and teamspeak are for. You see reds coming half a galaxy away and can easily hop into your combat ship and smear their pansy asses across the sun, then get back to mining or ratting or ship spining.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Depends on the system/region. 1 hour of your mining, even if hassle free, doesn't come close to what I make with mining in null
wink.png
The math you're missing here is that high-sec mining is done AFK with bots or semi-afk. There is no risk and minimal upkeep and logistics are easy as fuck. Most people mining elsewhere never calculate their logistics appropriately while trying to run isk/h calculations... and either way, how would that beat the potentially 100 percent uptime that a high sec mining operation can have?