EVE Online

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
So I posted on the eve forums, looking for a corp. One guy contacted me and he had been in 11 corps this year lol.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
So I posted on the eve forums, looking for a corp. One guy contacted me and he had been in 11 corps this year lol.

I can't remember who we had that was living in a mid-sized (?) wormhole but at one point I was thinking of getting in on that. Might be fun but I dunno.

Borzak

The guy that had so many corps was in a wormhole. Had a few others, I'm gonna look into it for a few days and then get back to them.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Jspace (wormholes; called j because the systems start with j) is awesome. I'm taking a break but my last Eve stint lasted 5 months. Ran 4 accounts and set up a POS in an empty C3. Made billions off PI/gas/sleepers. Had a great time, killed a lot of explorers and got a few nice kills in a pimped out Stratios I built for jspace hunting.

It's not for everyone, though. Brought a new player I met on reddit out for a month or so and, while he enjoyed some aspects of it, and definitely appreciated the learning experience, I'm pretty sure he lost hundreds of millions by A) being new, and B) being careless. You can be productive in a jspace corp flying super cheap, though. The most valuable asset to a jspace corp are active players that enjoy scouting. Scanning signatures, updating bookmarks, and looking for targets. Some (most?) jspace corps award 100 percent of the loot from kills to the scout that found them.

As always, never undock anything you aren't comfortable losing. If you have any questions, general or jspace-specific, feel free to ask.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Borzak

If you join a wormhole corp you live in the wormhole and basically never leave? I assume there's some kind of POS or some such. I quit just as they introduced wormholes and never did anything with them.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
If you join a wormhole corp you live in the wormhole and basically never leave? I assume there's some kind of POS or some such. I quit just as they introduced wormholes and never did anything with them.

Depends on the wormhole. The C1-C3 all have kspace connections, either high/low/null. The C4-C6 do not. Different groups will handle logistics differently, but the standard way to play is keep the ships you'll need out there as well as refits. Sometimes your hole will have an easy connection to a market, othertimes not so much. This can vary wildly; sometimes my hole would be 3 jumps to Jita, othertimes, 35 jumps to the nearest market.

I operated out of a C3 with a static low (static meaning I always will have a wormhole up to a random low sec system). The statics rotate every day or so and you can force close them to roll a new one. I'd do logistics when I had a favorable connection to a market.

That all being said, if you're living in jspace then you likely won't have any reason to go to kspace if it isn't logistics or pvp.

EDIT: Yes, small corps will absolutely have a POS minimum. Larger teams have likely set up a Citadel by now.

Borzak

Had a talk with a guy running a null sec corp. He contacted me after my post about a corp. So long story short we got to talking more about EQ than anything else.

So I will talk to him again in a day or two, what do I need to ask him? What am I in for if I go? Never spent any length of time out there other than scanning down sites and hacking, and then get out.

Zyke

Silver Knight of the Realm
Is there anything in the game you haven't done yet that you want to try? Or get back into?

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Is there anything in the game you haven't done yet that you want to try? Or get back into?
Honestly, I have no idea. We tried a couple of times to do some PVP with Too Much Brown, but I think everyone was too new and all we got I think was people trying to bait us with T3s.

It's one of those things where you prob don't know what you'd like until you try it, and even more than that, try it with the right people.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Had a talk with a guy running a null sec corp. He contacted me after my post about a corp. So long story short we got to talking more about EQ than anything else.

So I will talk to him again in a day or two, what do I need to ask him? What am I in for if I go? Never spent any length of time out there other than scanning down sites and hacking, and then get out.

I can't really answer that without knowing what you're looking for. I've never joined a null corp because that style of pvp seems largely zerg-based and it isn't my cup of tea.

Zyke

Honestly, I have no idea. We tried a couple of times to do some PVP with Too Much Brown, but I think everyone was too new and all we got I think was people trying to bait us with T3s.

It's one of those things where you prob don't know what you'd like until you try it, and even more than that, try it with the right people.

Do you want to PvP? If you want small scale and cheap ship, low sec faction warfare area is the way to go.

If you want small - medium scale PvP with shiny expensive stuff and a bit more unpredictability, wormholes.

If you're interested in nullsec and fights that range from small to large and cheap to expensive, nullsec is what you'd like.

If you aren't the PvP sort I'm not really sure what you'd do then, since that's all I've done. I've currently got a corp out in sov null myself. And you're absolutely correctly about that last line, EVE is a social game and the people you play with can be just as (or more) important than what you're doing.

Slyminxy

Lord Nagafen Raider
I could hook you up with some carebear Romanians in nullsec (Providence) if you want. I know they have a wormhole as well if you want to do a piece of that. C3 I think.

As far as joining a corp goes, ask everything. Location, accessiblity, what is allowed, what isn't, are you limited to your own system or not, the rules they follow (NBSI, NPSI, NRDS), how are logistics handled, who pays the bills, taxes, buyback, srp, how many jumps to nearest market hub, how much to empire hubs. Also check their killboards to see what they fly and lose. And might want to drop us the corp name in here so the other vets (I'm not a veteran) can take a look and give you some opinions.

Personally, I'm quite limited to where i can go if my current occupational hazard goes awol, since I'm not giving out my API to anyone. And outside of Pandemic Horde, every fucking lowlife wants your full API.

Borzak

It's hard to get any info about alliances/corps thru looking it up unless you know someone in the corps which kinda sucks. How big is the blades of grass alliance. I kind of think (not sure) that name came from either an offshoot of the blades of wrath guild in EQ or was first made to poke fun at them. I could be wrong tho.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Do you want to PvP? If you want small scale and cheap ship, low sec faction warfare area is the way to go.

If you want small - medium scale PvP with shiny expensive stuff and a bit more unpredictability, wormholes.

If you're interested in nullsec and fights that range from small to large and cheap to expensive, nullsec is what you'd like.

If you aren't the PvP sort I'm not really sure what you'd do then, since that's all I've done. I've currently got a corp out in sov null myself. And you're absolutely correctly about that last line, EVE is a social game and the people you play with can be just as (or more) important than what you're doing.

I'd prefer to "PVE with occasional PVP as needed", but if my past experience is any indication then just about all the PVE content is boring as fuck. Mind you I 2 boxed Level 4s for a while, so my threshold for boring is still kind of high.

Faction warfare only sounds interesting because it's cheap. Otherwise I'd rather skill up and fly better ships. Womholes vs Nullsec, I dunno. My playtime isn't great right now, working a 2nd shift job, so I was thinking of maybe getting back to EVE next year sometime once I find a decent Monday-Friday, 9-5 job again. I'm not sure which would be better for odd hours and playing an hour or two at a time (I'm picturing sitting around for extended periods waiting for fleet fights to commence)

Borzak

I don't know the answer but I am "in game" a lot but either afk or semi ak a lot of that time. About 2-3 hours is all I can put into the game, not because I don't have the time it just works out that way by my choosing.

Zyke

I'd prefer to "PVE with occasional PVP as needed", but if my past experience is any indication then just about all the PVE content is boring as fuck. Mind you I 2 boxed Level 4s for a while, so my threshold for boring is still kind of high.

Faction warfare only sounds interesting because it's cheap. Otherwise I'd rather skill up and fly better ships. Womholes vs Nullsec, I dunno. My playtime isn't great right now, working a 2nd shift job, so I was thinking of maybe getting back to EVE next year sometime once I find a decent Monday-Friday, 9-5 job again. I'm not sure which would be better for odd hours and playing an hour or two at a time (I'm picturing sitting around for extended periods waiting for fleet fights to commence)

Wormholes or FW are probably what you'd want then. Both have PvE and PvP elements that mix together. FW you can go around in small-ish ships and go PvE plex's to help capture territory, and you get LP from those you can use in the LP stores as a reward. PvP is fairly common in those as well and is usually just frigs/dessies and occasionally cruisers, mostly in small gang numbers or even solo. Wormholes are a lot more dangerous and less predictable since there's no local and you need to use bigger/more expensive ships to make any money, and you have to constantly watch your scanners, but the rewards are much greater, and the lack of predictability can be exciting as well.

You could also go null and do missions in NPC space or run anom's in sov null. So really anywhere could work, it would just depend what you want and what group you play with.

It really depends what would appeal more to you there.

RhoA

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you want to get into wormholes, you need to join a fairly solid group. I was a wormholer for quite a while and it is easily one of the most entertaining aspects of EVE, but it requires a lot of effort from you or the people in the corp who handle logistics. People go into wormholes looking for riches and a limitless supply of PVP with every roll of a hole, but wormhole corps that can't get their shit together will rapidly fall apart. If wormholes are what you want to get into, you have to first figure out if you want to venture into low class wormholes (C1-4) or high class wormholes (C5-6) and then find old wormhole corps to hitch your wagon to.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
If you want to get into wormholes, you need to join a fairly solid group. I was a wormholer for quite a while and it is easily one of the most entertaining aspects of EVE, but it requires a lot of effort from you or the people in the corp who handle logistics. People go into wormholes looking for riches and a limitless supply of PVP with every roll of a hole, but wormhole corps that can't get their shit together will rapidly fall apart. If wormholes are what you want to get into, you have to first figure out if you want to venture into low class wormholes (C1-4) or high class wormholes (C5-6) and then find old wormhole corps to hitch your wagon to.

Or, you can drop a POS in an abandoned hole (there are many) and treat it like a little garden. Plant some POCOs and set up PI, leave a relic site up and kill explorers. Scan out your neighbors and lay an ambush. Run your own sleeper sites when things are quiet. Jspace doesn't have to be a large group experience. Though, this does need at least two accounts to do properly. And one really must be able to fly a blocade runner.

Borzak

I'm not even sure what PI is. When I cam back my hauler had it's name changed and it had a PI hold.