EVE Online

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Haven't played this in 2+ years or something. How's it looking now, especially with regards to empire hugging, lvl3-4 mission running carebears?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Haven't played this in 2+ years or something. How's it looking now, especially with regards to empire hugging, lvl3-4 mission running carebears?

I imagine many of them are happier-than-ever making 99 percent risk free ~150m/hr in Incursion fleets.

Can't think of any substantial changes to missioning, but the only people doing that are the absolute anti-socials... I don't think there is any feasible way a missioner can come even close to the isk/hr of incursion carebears.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mur

Trakanon Raider
Just created an account yesterday. Never played before. Holy Shit is all I can say. I feel like it will take a year just to get some skills up to the levels I seem to need. Alot of info to process as a newb, but overall I like it. Biggest frustration so far is trying to find asteroid belts that have not been mined out for my missions. I am sure my random warping all over will end with my death when I end up ambushed.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I imagine many of them are happier-than-ever making 99 percent risk free ~150m/hr in Incursion fleets.

Can't think of any substantial changes to missioning, but the only people doing that are the absolute anti-socials... I don't think there is any feasible way a missioner can come even close to the isk/hr of incursion carebears.

Incursions, are they those NPC "raids" into high sec systems from a few years back, where higher than average bounty NPCs could spawn?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Incursions, are they those NPC "raids" into high sec systems from a few years back, where higher than average bounty NPCs could spawn?

Yea pretty much.

At this point, the community has it down to a science. They've developed optimal fleet comps and built up 3rd party apps. To join an Incursion team, you pretty much go build a ship according to the template they give you and then ask to be put on a waitlist. Sit around until you get called up to the team and then kill shit for tons of isk. The fleets run 99 percent of the time.

It's not really the reason I play Eve, but I've used it to generate easy isk while drinking heavily. There really isn't anything else in Eve that makes 150m/hr while only putting a 300m isk ship on grid.

• 1Like

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

I do missions a fair amount. Mostly because it allows me to come and go freely whle doing other stuff in and out of eve like the market and such. I have a fair amount of anti social in me too tho lol. Not much has changed in the PVE world outside of incursions which CCP recently said the ISK faucet there was right where they wanted it to be and the NPC mining fleets you can attack, but be warned they warp in reinforcements including some of them battleships, logis, and other stuff some more than others but the really hard ones are supposed to have great loot. Fozzie said they are supposed to have an AI more like players including their fits and such. I see them in systems while scanning for abandoned drones ocassional like 7 skiffs all mining together and such and I'm the only person in the system. But it's pretty good isk to do for an hour or two a week after a weekend and pick up a few geckos, Navy drones and such for no risk.

• 1Like

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I do missions a fair amount. Mostly because it allows me to come and go freely whle doing other stuff in and out of eve like the market and such. I have a fair amount of anti social in me too tho lol. Not much has changed in the PVE world outside of incursions which CCP recently said the ISK faucet there was right where they wanted it to be and the NPC mining fleets you can attack, but be warned they warp in reinforcements including some of them battleships, logis, and other stuff some more than others but the really hard ones are supposed to have great loot. I see them in systems while scanning for abandoned drones ocassional like 7 skiffs all mining together and such and I'm the only person in the system. But it's pretty good isk to do for an hour or two a week after a weekend and pick up a few geckos, Navy drones and such for no risk.

Thats true -- Incursions involve some degree of waiting around. Far less so if you become known within the community as a proactive player that can handle a few of the roles that need more than locking and F1. That being said, you can always wait-list yourself then handle other Eve duties... incursion for 90 min and come out with 225m isk.

Borzak

I don't see how ISK is really a limiting factor in playing EVE unless you are losing a lot of ships in PVP, building something in your corp like citadels or doing lots of skill injecting. Maybe it's just me. But I know on reddit they will post someone who loses a 1.5 billion pod and comment on them being an incursion runner so who knows.

I have a vindicator and all the skills to fit for the top incursion fleets but have never messed with it.

Not related to PVE or ISK but I saw on reddit possibly the worst fit ever in a killmail this morning. In a Kronos (the gallente Maurader) they had multiple warp stabs, inertial stabs, and slots filled with energy turrets in a multi billion fit....As a gallente pilot it never occured to me to put an energy turret on a gallente ship lol. Stupid me, I'll have to get with the times.

I guess CCP is pushing back the end of POS's since they announced mining platforms are now fall of 2017. Just took my POS down since it's easier to use someone elses engineering complex for manufacturing now (the reason I had a POS) as long as you do short run stuff.

Yes I'm the ultimate care bear who lives in low sec and goes to high sec and back multiple times a day. I only die in high sec for the most part haha.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

eXarc

Molten Core Raider
Just a quick question from someone looking into playing. How long would it take from day zero noob with nothing to become a PvP viable player and actually be able to make a difference on the battlefield?

Borzak

If you make an alpha you can faction warfare pvp pretty quickly. Use an alpha cause you'll ruin your standing with the other factions. But as far as your main making a difference in pvp, no idea.

• 1Like

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Just a quick question from someone looking into playing. How long would it take from day zero noob with nothing to become a PvP viable player and actually be able to make a difference on the battlefield?

Short answer: probably not long but totally depends on what you enjoy.

Long answer:

"PVP" is a flexible term in most MMOS; moreso in Eve. Solo roaming, small-group roaming, large-group roaming, organized fleet ops in null, general jspace shenanigans which take a different skill set, faction warfare...

So, your question is: it depends. The learning curve to feel productive as a solo roamer is likely quite long; the learning curve to group up with some guys who know more than you and do some damage and get some debuffs on the enemy? Under a day. Eve has a number of essential tasks involved in any PvP encounter and even a newbie can do something worthwhile. Or at least have fun while failing and try again with no tangible cost involved. Forget about the treadmill or grind of other MMOs; there are literally hundreds of Eve corps who hungrily recruit anyone because the chance of getting that diamond in a rough is worth it.

Diamond in the rough --> player who enjoys Eve enough to develop themselves, i.e., become a better pilot, invest in their character, research optimized fits for specific encounters... or become an FC (fleet commander). A competent FC is, literally, the greatest asset to a corporation or alliance. A competent FC working for the corporation/alliance is not only a tangible boon on the battlefield but a meta-boon for the collective: they're force multiplying the fun that your other players are having. Eve, like any game, is about having fun and many Eve players tend to suck at that if left to themselves. They need good FCs to show them the light. Many Eve players can name off a handful of names of the most respected FCs in the last decade.

If your dream is to be Solomaster 9000, then it'll take a long time. You need to memorize a ton of shit and have instant recall. If your dream is to fly with buddies and win some fights, you could be doing that tomorrow night.

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks for the answers. Not sure I'll sign up again though as I'd be mostly soloing missions. Don't have the time or energy to be deep in nul-sec PVP alliance shit as I was 10 years ago, but man were they good times. :)

eXarc

Molten Core Raider
Borzak / Eidal, thanks a lot.

I love the idea of group play anyway, so that's fantastic news.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Saw an ad today on FB for this, something about sub for multimonths and get dual training.

This game worth getting into with a brand new account? Recall a year or so ago hearing you could inject skill points, or some such thing.

Used to be an active thread, feel like I'm doing a necro here with last post Dec 18th

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Game is now limited F2P I think, so you can hop on and see if it is something you'd like.

But, I also recall if you accept someone's invite and then subscribe they get a lot of Isk - which they would probably share with you... so, you might want to wait for that?

(Been a while since I've played, so I'm not sure if either point above is still valid.)

Borzak

Not big on skins, but I mentioned I wanted a police Kronos police skin and she got me one for my birthday (among other stuff) lol. Thought it was pretty funny.

Now, step out of the vehicle.

Never taken a SS in game, I suck at it.

2017.02.05.03.41.45.png

Borzak

Game is now limited F2P I think, so you can hop on and see if it is something you'd like.

But, I also recall if you accept someone's invite and then subscribe they get a lot of Isk - which they would probably share with you... so, you might want to wait for that?

(Been a while since I've played, so I'm not sure if either point above is still valid.)

If you start use a referral code from someone, you'll get like 2 weeks worth of training for free even on the new F2P model.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
F2P eh? Guess I'll mosey on over to the main site and take a look. Likely be working camp/out of town a lot this spring/summer, so be nice to have something that works fine on shit hotel wifi, and doesn't require much of my time.

I played a long time ago, but I mainly just dicked around mining and ratting. Was still fun, and I remember EvE being great for occasional gaming. Don't remember account, and think it was an email from an ISP that folded years ago.

It's a shame space/scifi MMO's are a niche market, always been a fan of the X & star/freelancer sandbox type games.