Everquest - Phinigel server

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
Most of the sellers on RG want you to be verified which means paying a membership fee (it's cheap, like 10 bucks a year) and sending in docs. 10 bucks is whatever, but I don't really want them having my photo id on file. I just used PlayerAuctions instead (dusted off my circa 2000 account even) and paid maybe a dollar more per krono on average.

Mur

Trakanon Raider
I'm ready for round 3. When's the next freshly retarded server?

Fixed.

It's just going to be another cluster fuck like all the others before it. That being said I'll probably join the rest of you masochistic retards fighting for the glory of server first pixel murder. Long live the lead paint chip crew.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noahx

N00b
I suspect each new prog server is paying off nicely for them. They could push one each year w/ minimal support and probably hook us for another 2 decades.

• 1Like

Sterling

El Presidente
The problem with the new one is the most recent ones are still early on in the expansions. The current batch will be in PoP when the new one supposedly is released which seems really early to me, and will just lead to the population being spread all over. Also not sure how I'd feel about doing Classic and Kunark again so soon.

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
If they limited classic and Kunark to 1 month each (with RF/LJ exp rates) I'd play it again. Mainly just because I could take a break and grind out 60 in Velious. I'd say the 50-60 grind in Kunark is one of the most soul crushing grinds in the entire game of EQ (even more so with classic-esque exp rates).

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Ragefire and Lockjaw both have a fraction of the population that Phinny has so I think it makes some sense to want to release a new one once Phinny unlocks the GoD + OoW combo package. You expect people to bail during that time but you'd still like them to give you money so start a new prog server. On Phinny eighteen different guilds have cleared Vex Thal which really is amazing. Instanced raiding has let basically everyone experience all of the content at their own pace. If the exp rates got a little gentler as later expansions released I wouldn't really have anything negative to say. Nerfed quest exp is kinda shitty I guess?

What is going to keep me away from a new server is going to the boxing rules. After playing some on both Ragefire and LJ where mega boxers warped leveling, raiding, balance, and economics I'm just not interested in putting up with that again. I could see Daybreak combining full raid instancing with full boxing to try and get maximum subscriptions but that's not going to be for me.

Sterling

El Presidente
Nerfed quest xp is super shitty. They should have just nerfed beetle eyes and red wine and left it at that.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
People turned to factory farming quest items because the leveling was so slow and blanket nerfing quest exp was a shitty response. Any future prog server is going to force you to club a million goddamn bats and orcs to get through the early levels and that just isn't a good time.

I'm hoping they put in a little effort and have more of a case by case approach to quests and their exp awards. Narrowing down viable roads to advancement just sticks more people in zones like Lavastorm clubbing trash for a dozen levels. Whoop de doo.

Sterling

El Presidente
Might have to make some mages and farm kroners even if I don't plan on raiding on the new tlp!

• 1Solidarity

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Any news, at all, on what the new progression server will be? I imagine I'll play again. It's nice to have a game like this to hop onto at random times and fuck around. Phinny exp rate will be an immediate no go though.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Any news, at all, on what the new progression server will be? I imagine I'll play again. It's nice to have a game like this to hop onto at random times and fuck around. Phinny exp rate will be an immediate no go though.

This is all we've got thus far -

The team is talking through possible rule sets for a new progression server for those players who missed the start of Ragefire, Lockjaw, and Phinigel, and we’re considering mid-2017 for our next server.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You and a lot of others bitch about the experience rate, and yet you are level 60 for an asshole long time. Suck it up and just do it, and then you'll be fine. I went 50-60 in a week? 2 weeks max? Probably 40 hours total.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
The exp rate being aids in Classic and in Kunark doesn't bother me as much as the exp rate continuing to be aids still in Luclin. It's slower on Phinny now than it was back in 2001. It shouldn't be such a pain in the ass for people who show up later on in the server's life.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I think they should spend the time and get the classic zones back, and old spells. I'll bet they made enough money to at least investigate the particulars. Hell I could do it if I had access to their repos.

Also a personalized progression would be an interesting experiment. Unlocks based on your character being on the hate list of dead bosses or somesuch.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
For my complaints about Phinny it is most certainly a huge success and is Daybreak's highest pop server. I'm hoping that its success gives Daybreak incentive to put in a bit more work in on this next iteration with the goal being to improve authenticity.

Sterling

El Presidente
I think they should spend the time and get the classic zones back, and old spells. I'll bet they made enough money to at least investigate the particulars. Hell I could do it if I had access to their repos.

Also a personalized progression would be an interesting experiment. Unlocks based on your character being on the hate list of dead bosses or somesuch.
If they did that they'd also have to redo all the other TSS character changes, like skillcaps etc.

Anyone want to start a guild, "Leadpaint Juiceboxes" next server? "Angry Leadpaint Juiceboxes"? Anything with lead, paint, or juice, I'm down

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
If they did that they'd also have to redo all the other TSS character changes, like skillcaps etc.

I understand it is probably a large time investment and the reverse engineering may be daunting but I feel that restoring EQ is much more lucrative than moving it further with expansions.

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Were they not talking to the P99 people and legitimizing their work? Maybe they can strike a deal with them for their server side code? They have classic, kunark and velious done, right?

Best times for EQ was classic to PoP anyways.