Everquest - Phinigel server

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I don't think Seru had a loot table at launch.

Luclin was so half assed that they just "found" and released the music from the expansion last year lol. SOE was the polar opposite of "we'll release the game when it's finished" Blizzard.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
I don't think Seru had a loot table at launch.

Luclin was so half assed that they just "found" and released the music from the expansion last year lol. SOE was the polar opposite of "we'll release the game when it's finished" Blizzard.
Brad went in depth about luclin before. He said that shit was so incomplete. There was supposed to be factions like Velious and what not. Sanctus Seru was supposed to be the "hub" of the expansion basically. That shit could have been really cool with some more TLC. Damned shame.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Luclin was the expansion that killed my computer. I had some junky Compaq Presario that kinda got the job done. I had a Voodoo3, I had just loaded it up with all the ram it could hold, and Velious was pretty alright. When Luclin came out it's processor wasn't supported. The game straight up didn't launch. The workaround they eventually patched in cut my performance in half. On raids I had maybe 5-10 frames per second. It was a slide show.

Fuck Luclin.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Brad went in depth about luclin before. He said that shit was so incomplete. There was supposed to be factions like Velious and what not. Sanctus Seru was supposed to be the "hub" of the expansion basically. That shit could have been really cool with some more TLC. Damned shame.

LOL as soon as POP went live Luclin was deader than dead. Hardly anyone went there save Paludial Caverns which was the new exp hot spot for lv 5-25, that and maybe some high end raids.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
LOL as soon as POP went live Luclin was deader than dead. Hardly anyone went there save Paludial Caverns which was the new exp hot spot for lv 5-25, that and maybe some high end raids.
People always did the event in SSRA for the BloodFrenzy, but yeah, when POP came out, it was mostly over.

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
So VT isn't even remotely the 8-12 hour poopsock it used to be? Don't actually remember the timeframe, just remember having a raid survival pack always stocked and ready to go, since that shit went on forever. Food, water, Jolt, and a big bottle of rye. Shit was like being prepared for a natural disaster.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sterling

El Presidente
So VT isn't even remotely the 8-12 hour poopsock it used to be? Don't actually remember the timeframe, just remember having a raid survival pack always stocked and ready to go, since that shit went on forever. Food, water, Jolt, and a big bottle of rye. Shit was like being prepared for a natural disaster.
Nope, there's so many ways of using geometry and mages cothing that we finish it in like 2-3 hours when we split it so we have like 40 characters per instance.

If they limited classic and Kunark to 1 month each (with RF/LJ exp rates) I'd play it again. Mainly just because I could take a break and grind out 60 in Velious. I'd say the 50-60 grind in Kunark is one of the most soul crushing grinds in the entire game of EQ (even more so with classic-esque exp rates).

I see your point totally, but "soul crushing" is relative. Many players, or at least a decent number, find "the grind" kinda fun. I get bored if leveling is too fast. I enjoy the "endlessness" for example of being level 56 for months. I can speed it up, but sometimes I like to just get immersed. See my point? Gotta be careful with making levels too easy, imho. Might be bad game design, even if pleasing to many.

truth. I am not sure many younger plays grok the concept of that though. Just like they don't grok the concept of grok. But, google is one's friend.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
I see your point totally, but "soul crushing" is relative. Many players, or at least a decent number, find "the grind" kinda fun. I get bored if leveling is too fast. I enjoy the "endlessness" for example of being level 56 for months. I can speed it up, but sometimes I like to just get immersed. See my point? Gotta be careful with making levels too easy, imho. Might be bad game design, even if pleasing to many.

Then you're not normal. Being 56 for months is shitty design and would make a sane person quit.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

It has already been established that this TLP isn't really legit, as they use all modern damage tables and a myriad of other changes that has scaled up DPS significantly. Plus, you didn't even get VT 1.0 with trash that blinded people and whatnot. Modern EQ is a cakewalk compared to back then.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser

This is the same nonsense that led to Ragefire and Lockjaw getting six month unlock timers on expansions. Those servers have been wastelands longer than they've been healthy.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Not Phinigel, but the guys in FI on Lockjaw woke the sleeper recently. Video courtesy of Lexi.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We (Darkwind) woke sleeper on Ragefire a few weeks into Velious for no reason whatsoever. I played a monk and never got a shroud, nor did we get SoDs for many people. Hell, we didn't even have competition close to us. Leadership was just all kinds of pants-on-head retarded thinking post wakening loot was better.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
We (Darkwind) woke sleeper on Ragefire a few weeks into Velious for no reason whatsoever. I played a monk and never got a shroud, nor did we get SoDs for many people. Hell, we didn't even have competition close to us. Leadership was just all kinds of pants-on-head retarded thinking post wakening loot was better.

Yeah I remember that haha. I think FI had him asleep for eight or nine months and then invited the other guilds (what little there are) to wake him too.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
With PoP opening soon, is there time to get in on that or is it worth it? Anytime I see PoP I get the EQ itch and simply can't help it. However, if it's best to wait until the next TLP that's no problem as i'm pretty sure my casual play may not make it to where it would be any fun.

I would like to raid through some of the planes though. PoP is still probably in my Top 3-5 MMO experiences but a lot of that goes back to the people at the time. Just seemed like we raided A LOT during PoP. (Stupid Rathe Council)

Sterling

El Presidente
With PoP opening soon, is there time to get in on that or is it worth it? Anytime I see PoP I get the EQ itch and simply can't help it. However, if it's best to wait until the next TLP that's no problem as i'm pretty sure my casual play may not make it to where it would be any fun.

I would like to raid through some of the planes though. PoP is still probably in my Top 3-5 MMO experiences but a lot of that goes back to the people at the time. Just seemed like we raided A LOT during PoP. (Stupid Rathe Council)
It won't be like you remember exactly. People will be in Time within a couple of days of PoP release.