Everquest - Phinigel server

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
So I'm getting the urge to play some EQ.

Is it worth rolling on one of the established progression servers? Most folks on Phinagel?

Any needed classes currently? I normally like boxing a beastlord with a bard.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
LJ is super dead and RF is mostly dead. Phinny has a massive population in comparison to each of them. They also have six month unlock timers and six months is a fucking long ass time.

The other thing to consider is that a new progression server is launching in the summer. There's no information other than that (no info on ruleset, unlock timer, anything) but depending on when your nostalgia starts it may be worth waiting.

Phinny gets their Planes of Power unlock I think tomorrow while RF and LJ are both still in Luclin and will be in Luclin until late May (RF) or the second week of June (LJ).

RF and LJ have a better exp rate than Phinny. I tried giving it a go on Phinny during December and couldn't stick with it but tons of other people aren't bothered by it.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I tried Phinny for a few days in dec and just could not stomach the slow ass exp rate and the shitty 1-20 game where youre lacking severely the skills and spells and no fucking gear. Also you cannot box on Phinny unless its a true 2nd box, as in 2nd computer, lol. This is still better IMO than the p99 bullshit of corpse runs and other shittier mechanics, but I would just rather roll on a new server this summer if I feel up to it. Summer is a shitty time though, I dont know why they release this shit in the summer when people are doing shit outside.

Honestly EQ live is such a better game now than old EQ. Fast exp, AAs autogranted, you can solo with merc from lv 1 and defiant gear drops help you progress from 1-80. Run a 2 box crew and have 2 mercs, 1 healer 1 tank. 2 dps, or whatever you like. Well that is unless you want to run in groups like you did back in 1999. Then just do a self imposed progression if you like. Go check out all them places youve never been or at least not fully.

• 1Salty
Reactions: 1 user

Sterling

El Presidente
So I'm getting the urge to play some EQ.

Is it worth rolling on one of the established progression servers? Most folks on Phinagel?

Any needed classes currently? I normally like boxing a beastlord with a bard.
Phinigel has the highest population by a pretty huge margin and the unlock timer on expansions is like half or less of the other ones which is positive as far as I'm concerned. We killed Aten 74 times, that's way more than enough!
Play whatever you want, there really aren't any classes that no guilds will take or whatever, at this point it's just more important that you're just not an idiot. Bards are obviously awesome and stack really well, I'm sure most 72 man raids wouldn't mind having 10 bards or whatever even. Beastlords don't stack as well as bards do obviously.

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
So most folks are going to chase the dragon again when the new progression server opens later this year?

I guess i'll dig up an old toon and clear out Sebilis once then uninstall as usual =)

Sterling

El Presidente
So most folks are going to chase the dragon again when the new progression server opens later this year?

I guess i'll dig up an old toon and clear out Sebilis once then uninstall as usual =)
It's sort of weird, because I don't think they've ever really done another server this soon after the last ones unless you count Phinny which was almost immediately after RF/LJ. I think a lot of people plan on staying on Phinny especially if they had just done Classic/Kunark on RF/LJ and then again on Phinny. You might get some people doing both. Expect the usual Mages/Necros farming everything worth farming early on though.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Yeah its a shame we wont see how successful Phinny could have been in the post PoP era. I'm sure it will still survive but a new tlp just in time for GoD will hurt the population a bit.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
How many times can you do this vanilla-PoP progression before you start pulling your hair out. I mean, yeah, I get it, it was good, nostalgic, but at some point this just seems like some of these peeps need their heads checked, fucking ground hog day. Same with P99 players that are now stuck in the twilight zone of EQ that is a never ending Velious.

• 1Solidarity

lost

<Bronze Donator>
I really dont think corpse banking is such a no-no as people are crying, yeah maybe it lags the zone but otherwise just clever use of one's time xping. Agreed on the ground hog day, maybe there'll be a new twist, or a new guild idk. But people do come back.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
How many times can you do this vanilla-PoP progression before you start pulling your hair out. I mean, yeah, I get it, it was good, nostalgic, but at some point this just seems like some of these peeps need their heads checked, fucking ground hog day. Same with P99 players that are now stuck in the twilight zone of EQ that is a never ending Velious.

I would guess some folks are addicted to the race to the top, some smell a money-making opportunity, some probably get a kick out of doing their best to cockblock content (not as easy on TLP but still possible), some might take a chance to get in on a game they never really got to experience, and some just have an undying love of original EQ and do everything they can to recapture the magic of their first few months in an MMO.

I mean, I loved the shit out of my time on Phinny, had a grand time with some grander people and actually did manage to recapture some of that original magic. Shit, the first week I had a key to ST, I spent all day drinking and straight up passed out on my keyboard face-first about 5 minutes after I scored a primal. Come to think of it, I wandered through most of our raids either asleep or piss drunk. I was a bard though so it didn't really matter. #bardlife

No way in hell I would do it again though. One more time was enough.

rad

Lord of Guk
I would guess some folks are addicted to the race to the top, some smell a money-making opportunity, some probably get a kick out of doing their best to cockblock content (not as easy on TLP but still possible), some might take a chance to get in on a game they never really got to experience, and some just have an undying love of original EQ and do everything they can to recapture the magic of their first few months in an MMO.

I mean, I loved the shit out of my time on Phinny, had a grand time with some grander people and actually did manage to recapture some of that original magic. Shit, the first week I had a key to ST, I spent all day drinking and straight up passed out on my keyboard face-first about 5 minutes after I scored a primal. Come to think of it, I wandered through most of our raids either asleep or piss drunk. I was a bard though so it didn't really matter. #bardlife

No way in hell I would do it again though. One more time was enough.

Which of the fuckstick bards were you? 3 out 4 couldn't even setup a proper melody.

lost

<Bronze Donator>
Sounds liek that one bard in aos that rage logged everytime toxn got on his case.. lol

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I thought I'd be satisfied after the success on LJ but I find myself planning for the new TLP already.

My problem is that its never fun unless I am in guild leadership. I need the politics.

Faltigoth

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Which of the fuckstick bards were you? 3 out 4 couldn't even setup a proper melody.

I was the one that could, Faltigoth Cougarbane baby, the epitome of mediocrity in bard-dom! Though I was in Last of the Ancients, not the top guild by far but man those people were fucking great to get drunk and bullshit and grind shit with.

Sterling

El Presidente
I really dont think corpse banking is such a no-no as people are crying, yeah maybe it lags the zone but otherwise just clever use of one's time xping. Agreed on the ground hog day, maybe there'll be a new twist, or a new guild idk. But people do come back.
It was literally just satoshi/dima going on a witchhunt because he's a hypocrit and a clown. Operation corpse bank completed, level 65 about 20 minutes into the expansion.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Apparently can't zone into PoTranq right now, not affecting me of course.

Nice to be able to zip around at will now. Can finally hit my favorite mid level solo zone easy, Crystal Caverns.

Sterling

El Presidente
PoK/PoTranq are both lagged to shit. Who would have figured having almost 1000 people in a zone might cause lag.