Final Fantasy VII Remake

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well, given they clearly are making some changes to the main overall story I'd assume they wouldn't want the changes to be spoiled since those are the "new" parts. I'm skeptical they change it overly much, but who knows. They could really end up changing how it all plays out with even the addition of more backstory.

That is fair and maybe correct as well. Personally seeing as to how the entire thing played almost identical to the original, I'm just skeptical. Personally I'd rather they just stick to the source. Square has been pretty fucking bad at telling a story now for over a decade.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
Maximillian Dood has a video out talking about Chapter 2.

Apparently it takes 45 minutes to get from Reactor 1 to the Sector 8 Train, that's 3 screens and 10 minutes max in the original if you talk to everyone and do the battles slowly.

It's designed to show you the destruction you caused, Cloud has PTSD flashbacks of Neibelheim burning including visions of Sephrioth murdering his mother, there's an expanded encounter with Aerith who is being haunted by those ghosts in the trailer, then there are battles with guards including a mini boss guard with a riot sheild.

Sounds like things are going to be really expanded.

He also talks about the original 2nd boss, Air Buster being in Chapter 8. If getting to Reactor 5 on the train/tunnel is Chapter 7 and Chapter 3 is just talking to people in the Sector 7 Slums - that's three chapters worth of new content which will include the bike and parachute sections in the trailer.

Air Buster itself has a mini game where you can change the modules loaded onto it throughout Reactor 5 to change the difficulty and abilities it uses.

He also showed the boss battle against Apps, which I think is the 3rd boss in the original. Aerith's animations look fucking amazing when you browse the menus in slo motion, she's twirling around and casting spells. Tifa seems to have way more abilities than everyone else which only take half an ATB gauge and also has great animations.

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
That is fair and maybe correct as well. Personally seeing as to how the entire thing played almost identical to the original, I'm just skeptical. Personally I'd rather they just stick to the source. Square has been pretty fucking bad at telling a story now for over a decade.

I'd argue they've done a great job in telling a story in XIV, but MMO so little different. But then again, the Remake is a little different in that they already have the prime story to go off of. Like I said, I'm not expecting big changes to the main story. Frankly the majority of differences I think will them be adding more stuff. Maybe a little more backstory between Cloud/Sepiroth...because even in the original, with the localization being not so great, some people had trouble following the story. Mostly I think they will add a lot of backstory to the Avalanche crew. Probably designed to make it suck that much more than the original when you get to the end of the Midgar portion. I can imagine some of the out there fanboi's deciding that Jessie is actually best girl, and Aerith/Tifa can get lost.

Merrith

Guess this guy got same sneak peak Max did maybe? Spoilers and all for stuff just beyond the Demo b/c they let them play more, so don't watch if you don't want to spoil things. I tried to skip around just to listen to reactions to it, no idea if this guy is shill or not.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I played the -shit- out of FFVI; FFVII? Once hardcore all the way through when it was still new-ish; bought the player's guide to see what I missed and it ended up not being worth the paper(I'm mildly OCD on figuring shit out; had KotR before the end of disk 2 without knowing that was a "thing," for example)

But I'd easily plow through a high quality remake of FFVI without even batting an eye.

One of my favorite memories of FF6 was a friend of mine bought the game guide from a kid in his neighborhood for $15 or something, new it was $20. The kids dad found out and made him tell my friend he had to sell it back, but for like $5 since my friend had used it. So my friend is pissed off about it and won’t sell it back, then his dad calls my friends dad, etc.

Anyway my friend decided ok he will sell it back since he’s being forced to, but for revenge he puts ruffle potato chips all throughout the book for several days first. Like every fucking page was covered in oil and see through lol

Merrith

One of my favorite memories of FF6 was a friend of mine bought the game guide from a kid in his neighborhood for $15 or something, new it was $20. The kids dad found out and made him tell my friend he had to sell it back, but for like $5 since my friend had used it. So my friend is pissed off about it and won’t sell it back, then his dad calls my friends dad, etc.

Anyway my friend decided ok he will sell it back since he’s being forced to, but for revenge he puts ruffle potato chips all throughout the book for several days first. Like every fucking page was covered in oil and see through lol

That shit was way more than $20 new.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That shit was way more than $20 new.

I don’t doubt it, it was thick and nice. I was going off of 25 year old memory. Just thought the “fuck you” attitude my friend had was hilarious. I was sad to see it destroyed, I was poor and didn’t have one, and liked checking it out.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Those old Prima guides were pretty great. I used to buy them at Gamestop/Software Etc. after beating the game to see what I'd missed. Then that site gamefaqs.com came out and I sort of lost interest in throwing money around like that again =/

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Red XII will be unplayable in FF7 Remake pt 1.

Lame.
whats so cool about red xiii besides his theme song, anyway? was it something like he was the first character you could limit break 4 or something fast? i mean if you coulda combo tag teamed him and rode him like battle cat, well fuck that big titty bitch, i'm always choosing battle cat then.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
This looks cool and I am really tempted to go in and buy it, but the biggest turn off to me so far is it's only part 1 and not the full game. From all the rumor stuff people say it's just the starting city and I don't see how that can be worth $50, any word on when the rest of it is going to come out? Or how many parts its going to be? It is going to take years before you can finish and all the hype and care is gone? Someone tell me this game is gonna be worth it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This looks cool and I am really tempted to go in and buy it, but the biggest turn off to me so far is it's only part 1 and not the full game. From all the rumor stuff people say it's just the starting city and I don't see how that can be worth $50, any word on when the rest of it is going to come out? Or how many parts its going to be? It is going to take years before you can finish and all the hype and care is gone? Someone tell me this game is gonna be worth it.
Each screen of the original has been fleshed out to increase the length.

So after the Reactor 1 Bombing, you walk through a screen showing the damage to Sector 8 and the reaction of civilians, one where you meet Aeris and buy a flower then one where you fight 3 battles and jump onto the train. You can do that in 5 mins.

One YouTuber said that took 45 mins in the remake.

It's unknown how consistent or fun that lengthening is, what they showed looks positive though.

So if Midgar is 5 hours in the original it could be 45 hours in the remake.

Last edited:

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Each screen of the original has been fleshed out to increase the length.

So after the Reactor 1 Bombing, you walk through a screen showing the damage to Sector 8 and the reaction of civilians, one where you meet Aeris and buy a flower then one where you fight 3 battles and jump onto the train. You can do that in 5 mins.

One YouTuber said that took 45 mins in the remake.

It's unknown how consistent or fun that lengthening is though, what they showed looks positive though.

So if Midgar is 5 hours in the original it could be 45 hours in the remake.

Yeah I get that for sure, and maybe it's worth it for 45-50 hours of content, but it's still just a partial game. Have they set any timers on the rest of the story or how many parts they are ultimately planning? As an older gamer these days I am sure I am not the target demographic but I always feel like I am getting bilked with DLC and stringing games into multiple phases and shit.

Loved FF7 and it will probably be worth the money just for the trip down memory lane and the nostalgia, but have they announced and concrete plans for the rest of is it all speculation at this point in time?

Nola

Trakanon Raider
I'm on the fence whether or not if I'm going to buy this. Combat wasn't bad but it's not true turn based like older FF games. I can see a good portion of the played hours will be due to the cut scenes. I found myself skipping all of them during my second play through.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yeah I get that for sure, and maybe it's worth it for 45-50 hours of content, but it's still just a partial game. Have they set any timers on the rest of the story or how many parts they are ultimately planning? As an older gamer these days I am sure I am not the target demographic but I always feel like I am getting bilked with DLC and stringing games into multiple phases and shit.

Loved FF7 and it will probably be worth the money just for the trip down memory lane and the nostalgia, but have they announced and concrete plans for the rest of is it all speculation at this point in time?
They haven't said anything about the later parts, other than they are being worked on.

The scaling of the battle system has been changed to make it a full game though. Like people are lv30 and using summons on the 2nd boss.

In the demo you only go from lv7 to lv9.

Vanessa

Uncle Tanya
<Banned>
Heaven is having what they have now but replacing the combat system with God of War 2's combat system (yes, even with QTE) and making stuff scale in difficulty like that.

I'm a dreamer, I know... and enjoy things simple haha.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
The complete dialogue set was hacked in the demo leak. With that, they estimated 45-50 minutes for the first chapter (Dead on) and also estimated 15 hours of main mission content for the entirety of the 18 chapters because SE left the game files in the demo at that time.

So far everything has been true with regards to the demo leak in January, and if they calculated the dialogue options correctly (Pretty sure they were smart enough to do this) you are looking at a 15 hour main mission game. Even defenders of the game here state that is going to be bullshit. (SE saying 60 hours)

I suggest waiting before purchase so you can verify that, because a week isn't going to kill you; rent the game, or wait for all episodes to come out and get the whole thing on sale for 40-50 bucks. Don't reward these cucks with poor business behavior and unethical practices. This will open up a can of worms which will infiltrate the industry faster than Todd Howard can say, "I should be in jail"

• 1Like

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
Guess this guy got same sneak peak Max did maybe? Spoilers and all for stuff just beyond the Demo b/c they let them play more, so don't watch if you don't want to spoil things. I tried to skip around just to listen to reactions to it, no idea if this guy is shill or not.

First comment: "Thanks to Squarespace for sponsoring this video. "

That's a web site sponsor, but would be curious to see who sponsored Squarespace.

Also, if you look, you will see the same 3 hour "Awesome" previews on every gaming site all saying the same thing in different wording. Be careful out there folks - crazy times with media :)