Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Malkav

French Madman
Yea Gcd is suicide inducing till near end game for some classes

And then you suddenly need to play piano with some of them at some point. Some burst windows are incredibly tight.

If you want faster GCD, play monk or ninja.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
How do people so casually do that pose where they put their hands on their waist, or behind their back? What emote is that? Do they have it on a hotbar? Or is it like eso, where there's some way to change your standing posture?

Goonsquad Officer
some emotes put you into a new stance and arn't just a brief emote. you can use them to change the way you stand some times. you see dark knights do it a lot with their big sword down emote.

you can hotbar emotes or learn their / command. experienced FF14 show-offs, fashionistas and RP'ers learn them so well they mostly comunicate that way it seems. heh

Malkav

French Madman
Yeah /cpose changes your idle pose, multiple choices with weapon sheathed, one alternative with weapon unsheathe depending on your job/gender (I really wished they'd make both unsheathed cpose available to both gender, the gender locking on that makes no sense).

I had no fucking idea this was on PS3….I assumed PS4 only.

They dropped PS3 support a while ago, but it was a very real limiting factor for them at first.

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
some emotes put you into a new stance and arn't just a brief emote. you can use them to change the way you stand some times. you see dark knights do it a lot with their big sword down emote.

you can hotbar emotes or learn their / command. experienced FF14 show-offs, fashionistas and RP'ers learn them so well they mostly comunicate that way it seems. heh
I gotta say, these people are pretty impressive. I have seen this, where people just convey a dozen different things throughout an encounter, entirely with emotes lol. I just don't have the hotbar or the patience for it, but I appreciate the people that are really good at it.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
can I go into dungeons blind without knowing what any of the bosses do, or do I need to read up on stuff otherwise it's a wipefest galore? I assume it's a standard holy trinity in a style of 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps

Goonsquad Officer
can I go into dungeons blind without knowing what any of the bosses do, or do I need to read up on stuff otherwise it's a wipefest galore? I assume it's a standard holy trinity in a style of 1 tank, 1 healer, 3 dps
most players can give a 3 sentance boss rundown, like "he's gonna shoot fire out his ass after her roars, so move to the side. stand under meteors. watch out for falling pillars". and you can often (if you arn't the tank) just follow the healer.

once you do enough dungeons the telegraph / markers for effects are standard. you learn which mean "boss will rotate" which mean "move here not there" and "everyone must stand here" so you can kind of wing most of them. i often do heh.

players are used to so many casuals they do not care about brief descriptions.

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
most players can give a 3 sentance boss rundown, like "he's gonna shoot fire out his ass after her roars, so move to the side. stand under meteors. watch out for falling pillars". and you can often (if you arn't the tank) just follow the healer.

once you do enough dungeons the telegraph / markers for effects are standard. you learn which mean "boss will rotate" which mean "move here not there" and "everyone must stand here" so you can kind of wing most of them. i often do heh.

players are used to so many casuals they do not care about brief descriptions.

nice

Malkav

French Madman

Also, dungeon group are only 4 players, tank/healer/2 DPS. Even more visible when your DPS are mouthbreathing retards.

But yeah, early dungeons are quite simple, and if you get a high level player synced down it's usually pretty faceroll with ignorable mechanics.

At least the game is consistant in its visual language. Which is even more mind boggling when you still see some people at higher level who don't understand stack markers.

Xerge

<Donor>
You can wing FF14 dungeons with a death or two, everything is well telegraphed and you'll easily pick up on the unique telegraphs quickly. I suggest giving the 8 man encounters a quick read through tho or you will likely be carried on the floor. As long as you have the sprout icon it's a free ride through everything basically; wish more games used icons by player names to convey info.

Goonsquad Officer
Some fights, especially alliance raids can turn into telegraph kaleidoscopes

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
"You may not disrupt or interfere with the game experience of other players in any way" is a hell of a rule to have written down for your MMO.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
Between the consistent telegraphs and a little bit of puzzle brain, you can learn quite a lot of dungeon shit on the fly. Mechanics you do fuck up rarely straight up kill you the first time as well, and instead will leave you with either a stacking vulnerability debuff or a bleed, so you can fuck up, but just not too much.

Malkav

French Madman
"You may not disrupt or interfere with the game experience of other players in any way" is a hell of a rule to have written down for your MMO.

For better or for worse, they absolutely do not fuck around with their ToS.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users