Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
You’re asking questions that can’t be answered, like at what exact moment does the story start? What exact moment does combat get good? No one can answer this because it’s an opinion.
Opinion would be part of a discussion. Then I realized they are not supposed to be "discussion" posts per se. Those are long blog posts, on a wide range of topics like "how burnt the toast was this morning" and "the color and consistency of my morning shit."

I mentally clocked out after that. Because once someone admits to not even reading the answers, then answering them isn't worth it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
So I pretty much regret having skipped all the blue quests, Whoever suggested only doing MSQ + Class quests did me dirty. I spent most of the afternoon going around and doing all of them to unlock various dungeons and hard modes (many of these are required for the msq) and game features. I think I got all of them but I can't be sure, there's still I guess a few greyed out options in my various Menus which tells me theres a blue or 2 hiding somewhere I haven't done to unlock that feature. I also started the relic weapon questline for warrior, i'm on the part (Zenith?) where you gotta go farm fates in 12 zones until the atma drops, interwebs says its completely RNG. I got 2 of them so far on super low level Fates right off the bat, first one I did in those zones respectively. The rest i've been farming to no avail while catching up on hunt log and GC hunt log, leveling up my GC level so I can sell all this garbage to the GC.

You know the saying "the game begins at 50" and in most MMOs people are referring to the end game loop. Dailies, raids, dungeons, whatever, "max" level content, vs leveling content. Not this game, this game literally begins at 50. everything before that is the tutorial, sitting in Durotar killing boars. it's 50 hours of that, except about 49 hours of it is teleporting around the world, walking 3 feet, clicking on npcs and watching cutscenes, with 1 hour of killing boars sprinkled across those 50 hours. To put it in perspective, if you just do the MSQ you will finish ARR and unlock the "complete eleventy billion quests" achievement X3 before you unlock the "killed 100 mobs" achievement.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
So I pretty much regret having skipped all the blue quests, Whoever suggested only doing MSQ + Class quests did me dirty. I spent most of the afternoon going around and doing all of them to unlock various dungeons and hard modes (many of these are required for the msq) and game features. I think I got all of them but I can't be sure, there's still I guess a few greyed out options in my various Menus which tells me theres a blue or 2 hiding somewhere I haven't done to unlock that feature. I also started the relic weapon questline for warrior, i'm on the part (Zenith?) where you gotta go farm fates in 12 zones until the atma drops, interwebs says its completely RNG. I got 2 of them so far on super low level Fates right off the bat, first one I did in those zones respectively. The rest i've been farming to no avail while catching up on hunt log and GC hunt log, leveling up my GC level so I can sell all this garbage to the GC.

You know the saying "the game begins at 50" and in most MMOs people are referring to the end game loop. Dailies, raids, dungeons, whatever, "max" level content, vs leveling content. Not this game, this game literally begins at 50. everything before that is the tutorial, sitting in Durotar killing boars. it's 50 hours of that, except about 49 hours of it is teleporting around the world, walking 3 feet, clicking on npcs and watching cutscenes, with 1 hour of killing boars sprinkled across those 50 hours. To put it in perspective, if you just do the MSQ you will finish ARR and unlock the "complete eleventy billion quests" achievement X3 before you unlock the "killed 100 mobs" achievement.

XIV ToDo: Dashboards, checklists, and tools for FFXIV to see if you missed any dungeons. Strongly suggest you set it to "Blur out non-completed story-related encounters" in settings before you peruse it though.

Will give you a list like this:
1644842671171.png

and yes, I make a b-line for any blue quests and do them immediately.

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Thats a pretty cool tool for dungeons, but is there a tool to see where blue quests are? the only ones I can find are levemetes and class unlocks (So you wanna be an ____) but I'm definitely missing some options in various menus.

I've been using:
but the search feature in game for "completed" quests doesn't work half the time. IDK if there's some hidden characters or extra spaces in the quests i'm searching but when i look for something its not coming up, I travel to the spot only to find i've already completed that quest.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
Thats a pretty cool tool for dungeons, but is there a tool to see where blue quests are? the only ones I can find are levemetes and class unlocks (So you wanna be an ____) but I'm definitely missing some options in various menus.

I've been using:
but the search feature in game for "completed" quests doesn't work half the time. IDK if there's some hidden characters or extra spaces in the quests i'm searching but when i look for something its not coming up, I travel to the spot only to find i've already completed that quest.

That website works. I like the layout of this one more though. Just gotta be careful not to get spoiled.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
I'm waiting for the Sylas redemption arc once they finish Shadowbringers. It's gonna be Chris 2.0.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Goonsquad Officer

I've been using:
zepla had a good video on 'must have' blue unlocks. explains what they do so you can give a shit or not.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Gotta finish Tara Tam Deepcroft hard as a side blue quest (50 hard dungeon)

The ending cutscene when you hand in the final quest after beating it is the freakiest shit they’ve ever done in this game lol

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Everyone saying "just wait til ____" question, no spoilers, but does the writing improve?

I get the impression that in the expansions theres less "collect 10 bear asses" filler quests so you get more story nuggets and maybe start to give a shit about any of the characters or their problems, but is the dialogue/writing better or is it the same laughably bad writing just less filler?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well Heavensward certainly wasn't in contention for a Hugo award that's for sure but I personally think the writing is a lot better than ARR was.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I had posted this earlier, but in ARR everyone talks like Urianger, then they tone that down. Except for Urianger, but that sort of becomes his endearing feature

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
Everyone saying "just wait til ____" question, no spoilers, but does the writing improve?

I get the impression that in the expansions theres less "collect 10 bear asses" filler quests so you get more story nuggets and maybe start to give a shit about any of the characters or their problems, but is the dialogue/writing better or is it the same laughably bad writing just less filler?
The lead writer changes to Ishikawa, she wrote the Heavensward Dark Knight quests which are excellent, then was promoted to the Far East half of Stormblood MSQ which is great, then promoted to all of Shadowbringers/Endwalker MSQ.

She answers the question of why a benevolent God would allow evil by Endwalker with a surprising modern philosophical concept, much of it told via gameplay in the final dungeon.

The second half of the final Shadowbringers zone and the last two Endwalker zones are masterpieces which recontextualise the entire game up until those points.

• 1Like

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider

Shadowbringers (70-80) is genuinely well written / would play as a singleplayer story, heavensward (50-60) has the odd good bit (e.g., moogle beast tribe). The rest no, and endwalker was back to bad again after shadowbringers being pretty good.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Shadowbringers (70-80) is genuinely well written / would play as a singleplayer story, heavensward (50-60) has the odd good bit (e.g., moogle beast tribe). The rest no, and endwalker was back to bad again after shadowbringers being pretty good.
Endwalker is bad but... Moogles are good. There's something wrong with you.

phisey

Buzzfeed Editor

Where are you now? As in what part of the MSQ are you doing.

Ehrgeix

Trakanon Raider
Endwalker was just really garbage (spoiler'd just in case but the story is bad so you're fine to read this now with no real loss) -
bad filler zones + vaguely interesting setup into Zodiark dying at level 84 after Zenos breaks the final unbreakable seal by hitting it really hard with his sword, memory deletion, time travel, some random plan to go TO THE MOON masterminded by Hydaelyn for some reason even though she knows Meteion is singing from the end of the universe and can reach anywhere / has destroyed the rest of the universe. But don't worry, we can resist Meteion with our NEW MYSTERIOUS POWER which they obviously pulled out of their ass for this expansion only (and yea yea I know limit break exists but them having this planned when they made limit break is about as likely as the wc3 devs coming up with the jailer). Then to add insult to injury they do even more dumb shit at the end with your party all dying except what's this 30 minutes later they magically come back to life again because of the power of friendship or something.

Complete trash barely papered over with some COOL MOMENTS that are fun if you don't think too much - the best of which is the hear / feel / think redux imo.

Also, have you done moogle beast tribe Chris Chris ? It's not bad.

• 1WTF
  • 1Solidarity

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean I agree that Shadowbringers was far superior to EW, but calling EW garbage is lulz.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Where are you now? As in what part of the MSQ are you doing.
Post arr pre hs. I spent most of yesterday going back and doing all the blue quests and hard trials for the relic weapon, think im like 20 quests in out of 82 until i get to hs