Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
So hows this expansion work if you want to come back and start from scratch? I could never finish the MSQ, hell I don't think I made it past vanilla FF14, the "zone 4 times, kill 1 mob, return" MSQ quests were killing me.

If you want to just jump into ShB/Endwalker you can buy "story" skip books from the mogstation, there is 1 for each expansion up till the End of Shadowbringers, you can also buy level books.

I haven't played thru it but the re-structure they did recently for ARR has supposedly gotten rid of a lot of the "4 mobs, bring skins.." etc

bolok

Trakanon Raider
Nah, there's still a pretty big chunk of that in ARR. They did prune a fair amount tho. But yea, you either play through, or pay to skip up until current ish.

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So hows this expansion work if you want to come back and start from scratch? I could never finish the MSQ, hell I don't think I made it past vanilla FF14, the "zone 4 times, kill 1 mob, return" MSQ quests were killing me.

Everything is pretty much MSQ gated in this game. You could roll the new furry race and play the new classes, but that is about it. To actually visit the new zones, you'd have to beat all the Endwalker MSQ through 6.55 or buy a storyskip (they wont sell an Endwalker story skip until after the xpac officially comes out in July)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I don't think this game is worth playing if you skip the MSQ. The only piece I'd say is acceptable to skip is after you beat the ARR MSQs, skip to Heavensward.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

sleevedraw

Revolver Ocelot
<Bronze Donator>
I feel like that'll be the case for post-EQ to Dawntrail, too. Granted, it was a coda/transition to a new story arc, but 6.1-6.5's story arc didn't do much for me. Probably my least favorite post-patch MSQ since 2.0 to 3.0.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I feel like that'll be the case for post-EQ to Dawntrail, too. Granted, it was a coda/transition to a new story arc, but 6.1-6.5's story arc didn't do much for me. Probably my least favorite post-patch MSQ since 2.0 to 3.0.
Yea but it's not 250 hours long

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I’m in post-ShB patch MSQ stuff. And frankly all the “rebuild Eulmore” shit is killing me. There’s clearly a very well done story in the game that I look forward to seeing the “end” of in EW, but they bog it down with a lot of dumb shit. There are times I have a hard time believing the team responsible for FF16 wrote this “filler” MSQ tripe.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I’m in post-ShB patch MSQ stuff. And frankly all the “rebuild Eulmore” shit is killing me. There’s clearly a very well done story in the game that I look forward to seeing the “end” of in EW, but they bog it down with a lot of dumb shit. There are times I have a hard time believing the team responsible for FF16 wrote this “filler” MSQ tripe.
When you play all of it at once it definitely is pretty tiring, I think it makes more sense when you think there's 4months between every patch so people who play continually have these little bits of story and have already "forgotten" about the boring bits before that. The post expansion MSQ is also generally just "clean up" until it sets up the next expansion. This expansion they did a whole entire story arc instead, but it had its own issues. Personally I try to play through the MSQ every now and then when they have a free login period to avoid burning out too much on the post expansion stuff, like I'll login for only a couple of hours just to do the MSQ. Even then yeah I get pretty tired of it when I do like 2-3 patches in a row until it gets to the "new" stuff.

Anyway it is what it is, they had discussed possibly offering a way to bypass the story but decided against it. I still think they should add a way to just bypass the whole ARR>EW arc at some point as it's kinda untenable the way it's designed currently as it goes, maybe something they'll think about later in this expansion/for 8.0. Can buy skips if you don't mind the money though. Story skips are added at the start of early access(not release like mentionned above), so friday you could buy an EW skip for example and start Dawntrail right away(assuming your char is 90). Since there wasn't much story leading up to the expansion you wouldn't be lost either and then replay 6.0 in NG+ later for the whole story. Dawntrail might have spoilers related to the events of 6.0 though.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
I have zero desire to watch 6 hours of fucking twitch….

i saw it said no background but if i make it my main tab on an iPad or something and just plop it down in my desk that should count, right?

• 1Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider

i saw it said no background but if i make it my main tab on an iPad or something and just plop it down in my desk that should count, right?

As long as you dont have the volume set to mute and just have it open on main tab, it counts. Just set volume to like 1% and check on it every now and again. Some campaigns require you claim the unlocks as you earn them before it starts counting watch time for the next unlock.

• 1Rustled

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

For me the no background doesn't work anyway but I block a ton of scripts so maybe it's that. You can mute the tab but not the player and I think that works too(with firefox, don't know about chrome). I always collect my shit in the background. If it doesn't work yeah just have your phone or tablet on the side and cut the volume directly on the device and it should be fine.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

Prelim patch notes btw. Nothing too interesting, notable stuff is hunt currency is still nuts, bicolor gems from fates are also still the same+expanded to 1500+bonus on xp bonus fates, no more triple turn in crafting leves, big fates(the one with special rewards and long respawn times) are now shown on the map. Rest is stuff mentionned in live letters or stuff they haven't explained yet(DoH/DoL new stuff like the new fishing bait slots for the 91 FSH action)

• 1Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
One of those fate names instantly stood out to me

Omicron Recall: Killing Order

Given that Omicrons are, as far as we know, the most technologically advanced civilization in the FF14 universe and my prior theory about Solution Nine, I am starting to wonder if there is a stronger connection between the two.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

Given that Omicrons are, as far as we know, the most technologically advanced civilization in the FF14 universe and my prior theory about Solution Nine, I am starting to wonder if there is a stronger connection between the two.

It spawns in 5 minutes.

• 1Worf

Pyros

<Silver Donator>

That's the big FATE in Ultima Thule, it's already in the game, it's the fate that gives the level checker mount. They listed the 2 big FATEs from ShB(the big snake thing in Tempest and the giant robot in Kholusia) and the 2 in EW(the one on an island off the coast in Thavnair and the one on a floating platform in Ultima Thule) as being changed, and also mentionned the ones from DT will also be changed. Currently they only display when you're very close(or when you see the spam of shouts, or at least that's how it was during release when everyone was trying to do them) but now will be visible from anywhere.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
GC turnins, Check Adventure Squadron, Send Submarines on new exploration, Plant Crops, Send retainers on LONG mission, De-synth last EX items, Activate FC XP buff, Hand in Book on Paladin, MSQ! - Is my list to do after downtime so I don't forget.

Reminder that I'll be putting up 3 weeks of +15% xp buff in the FC on launch, so it'll be a good time to level those alternate classes if you still need it.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
did my normal massive de-synth sweep before expansion.. almost max'd my GSM De-synth skill ... 95 kills on Zodiark ..
Fool, you lost 10% xp on a crafting class from the desynth challenge log.

I didn't play much this expansion so I barely have anything to desynth. A few raid gear pieces which can't be desynthed until the expansion(like from current raid) and a couple of crafted pieces. Desynth leveling is one of the most pointless feature though since it barely does anything, I remember spending way too much money capping alchemy desynth a few expansions back but when they made it so you can always 100% desynth items regardless of skill levels I stopped paying attention to it, just throw dungeon gear in for free mats that I sell for gold instead of GC seals and that's about it.