Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Desynth can be helpful while leveling crafting - current xpac gear will usually desynth into current xpac crafting materials
I didn't say desynth wasn't good, I said actually leveling desynth doesn't really do anything. I think you get HQ mats more often maybe and it mentions giving "rare" items more often but the rare stuff is usually just garbo anyway so it's whatever. I still desynth a lot, I just haven't bothered leveling it because I can desynth everything regardless now, unlike the old days where your level dictated your chance to desynth and if it was too low you had basically 1% chance to desynth or whatever the min cap was.

On a different note, the patch is up for download on all platforms. 50ish gb so if you have shit internet you might as well get started. Surprisingly though it's downloading really fast for me even without xiv launcher. Went up on console/steam a couple hours ago. Datamining also has started so if you want 0 spoilers you should avoid Reddit/Discord.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
So hows this expansion work if you want to come back and start from scratch? I could never finish the MSQ, hell I don't think I made it past vanilla FF14, the "zone 4 times, kill 1 mob, return" MSQ quests were killing me.
There's a quest log section that has completed quests, so you can see where you are up to.

I hated that stuff too but they pruned a lot of it and made it so you can do NPC parties in all dungeons if queue is too long.

Imo don't skip anything, the story is half the point of the game and a lot of the "boring" stuff has big payoffs later on. You can skip boring seeming scenes, especially if there's no voice acting (do not skip Crystal Tower story).

You'll go insane doing it all at once. You need to have a DPS class you do MSQ with and a Tank/Heal class to run dungeons and farm gear with. You'll spend longer in each content layer but get a better feel of the mechanics, get better gear you can keep for future alts and space the story out more. Also find time for Gold Saucer stuff like cards or chocobo racing.

Rotate those three things and you'll finish it in a few months, rush MSQ and you'll quit. By Endwalker it's the best story told in gaming, yes it's dogshit in ARR.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chinaman889

<Silver Donator>
There's a quest log section that has completed quests, so you can see where you are up to.

I hated that stuff too but they pruned a lot of it and made it so you can do NPC parties in all dungeons if queue is too long.

Imo don't skip anything, the story is half the point of the game and a lot of the "boring" stuff has big payoffs later on. You can skip boring seeming scenes, especially if there's no voice acting (do not skip Crystal Tower story).

You'll go insane doing it all at once. You need to have a DPS class you do MSQ with and a Tank/Heal class to run dungeons and farm gear with. You'll spend longer in each content layer but get a better feel of the mechanics, get better gear you can keep for future alts and space the story out more. Also find time for Gold Saucer stuff like cards or chocobo racing.

Rotate those three things and you'll finish it in a few months, rush MSQ and you'll quit. By Endwalker it's the best story told in gaming, yes it's dogshit in ARR.
Took me a year to go from ARR to post EW. I personally found that I needed to do the many other things in FF14 to keep my interest.

Trying out the other jobs really helps. I have at least 8-10 lvl 90 tank/dps/healer jobs and near max crafting/gatherer jobs.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Are the servers down now? Patching right now but have not yet bought the expansion, hate going to the mogstore to input codes and purchase stuff.

xaivius

Freelance Kwisatz-Haderach
<Gold Donor>
Are the servers down now? Patching right now but have not yet bought the expansion, hate going to the mogstore to input codes and purchase stuff.
Game servers are down for maintenance, official open for 7.0 early access is 3am 2am PST 2024Jun28, however previous expansions have gone live upwards of 3 hours prior. The patch server is separate and already up, as you've noted.

EDIT: Corrected for official release

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Game servers are down for maintenance, official open for 7.0 early access is 3am PST 2024Jun28, however previous expansions have gone live upwards of 3 hours prior. The patch server is separate and already up, as you've noted.
This is wrong on both fronts. They NEVER come up early and wait for the scheduled xpac launch time and it's 2am PDT / 5am EDT.

[Date & Time]
Jun. 26, 2024 2:00 a.m. to Jun. 28, 2024 2:00 a.m. (PDT)
* Completion time is subject to change.
(This maintenance will not end before the scheduled ending time.)

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Fool, you lost 10% xp on a crafting class from the desynth challenge log.

I didn't play much this expansion so I barely have anything to desynth. A few raid gear pieces which can't be desynthed until the expansion(like from current raid) and a couple of crafted pieces. Desynth leveling is one of the most pointless feature though since it barely does anything, I remember spending way too much money capping alchemy desynth a few expansions back but when they made it so you can always 100% desynth items regardless of skill levels I stopped paying attention to it, just throw dungeon gear in for free mats that I sell for gold instead of GC seals and that's about it.

Lol 10% for a set of jobs I'll have capped in a week doesn't mean shit.

I got 14 Zodiark Crystals from that set of de-synths so if any of the weapons look half-way decent(Once they release them) I'll easily be able to make any of them. Or sell them off to some other people either way it's a win.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Let me guess "now add five entirely new actions with independent 90 second cooldowns to your rotation!"

Far as I'm aware, no class has extra buttons except for Scholar. Most of them have had abilities consolidated into a single button or have a lot of upgraded abilities.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Complete patch notes: Patch 7.0 Notes | FINAL FANTASY XIV, The Lodestone
Job guide page: FINAL FANTASY XIV Job Guide
DoH/DoL page: FINAL FANTASY XIV Crafting and Gathering Guide

Patch notes have barely any differences as usual other than adding links for guide pages and pointing out obvious stuff like new materias. I think the only big change was they added Tenacity(the tank stat) is getting buffed again and clarified the prepped leve reduction only affects crafting and fishing as usual.

Many job got potency changes from media tour however, some have still bit of weirdness that might be fixed in a later patch(macrocosmos being a dps loss for AST cause it didn't get buffed by 20 potency for example). DoH changes are kinda interesting although likely won't change too much for macro crafting(manual crafting has some interesting new things though). MIN/BTN new stuff looks meh. FSH changes look great, the new abilities should make big fishing easier so it's quite nice.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Far as I'm aware, no class has extra buttons except for Scholar. Most of them have had abilities consolidated into a single button or have a lot of upgraded abilities.
giphy.gif

Looked up RDM and SAM which are the two main jobs I play and both have new buttons. Argh.