Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
What idiot at Square Enix decided that Paladin's new level 100 Ability, which activates after casting Blade of Valor, the final attack of your 4 hit blade combo, should share a button not with the button you've just been spamming for the last 4 global cooldowns, but on an entirely unrelated button Imperator.

I'm going to have to completely change my keybindings for Paladin and learn new muscle memory, god damnit!
I think they made a conscious choice on some of these to be specifically on a different button so they appear as a new skill and not just the same shit you did before(at least not exactly). It's like the new RPR 92 or 96 skill that opens ups when you transform, but instead of just being the transform button it's a different button that's usually not used during transformation.

Not a fan but well it's not that bad especially for PLD, Requiescat button should already be pretty accessible.

Better than DNC where they went out of their way to NOT add the replacement stuff just to fill up the bars, so you have skills that can only be used after another skill that don't conflict with anything that are still their own buttons(Fan Dance IV and Starfall Dance)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I've been leveling a bunch of other jobs here and there (mostly lower levels). While each job has a resource thing and a different rotation, there's just a lot of very similar stuff going on between a few of which are so similar it's kind of surprising. All the tanks basically feel identical. All the physical range have a very similar toolkit composition.

I realize there's a difference between say ninja and dragoon, but kinda there isn't if that makes sense? Core 1/2/3 rotation, some extras and ogcds, aoe combo, some movement, 2 min cds.

I think it goes beyond the 2 min homogenization thing. It's like why can't there be a single job that has a proc system, or a priority system or any other gameplay type? They're all static rotations with maybe a bit of filler. Between job subtypes they're also very similar sometimes.

Just comparing to where WoW is now, it is striking that there's basically not a single job that wants to press the same attack more than once in a row.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I've been leveling a bunch of other jobs here and there (mostly lower levels). While each job has a resource thing and a different rotation, there's just a lot of very similar stuff going on between a few of which are so similar it's kind of surprising. All the tanks basically feel identical. All the physical range have a very similar toolkit composition.

I realize there's a difference between say ninja and dragoon, but kinda there isn't if that makes sense? Core 1/2/3 rotation, some extras and ogcds, aoe combo, some movement, 2 min cds.

I think it goes beyond the 2 min homogenization thing. It's like why can't there be a single job that has a proc system, or a priority system or any other gameplay type? They're all static rotations with maybe a bit of filler. Between job subtypes they're also very similar sometimes.

Just comparing to where WoW is now, it is striking that there's basically not a single job that wants to press the same attack more than once in a row.
That's the price of having a lot of classes which are well balanced I guess?

Does Dancer not have a proc system? Was thinking of levelling it up.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
That's the price of having a lot of classes which are well balanced I guess?

Does Dancer not have a proc system? Was thinking of levelling it up.

Yea I guess so. But its more combo -> proc ogcd which is somewhat common I guess? Like Bard does this too with hawkeye or whatever procs.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
So yea I'm pausing the MSQ for the Pictomancer to catch up in level. This job is really fun and not overly hard to understand. I like BLM also but the countdowns in fire and ice phase always stress me out. Grinded some dungeons and MSQ yesterday and allready lvl 85.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If anyone doesn't know, Agalia (1st Endwalker Alliance Raid) is pretty much +1 level with preorder earring (still works when you are scaled down to 90), has a 5-10 min queue even for DPS and a bunch of mechanics and phases are skipped due to the kill speed (eg Nald Thal scales).

You can use it to level 90-100.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
It's on the button used to start the combo lol.

For me it's:
R2 + Square, Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Triangle, Square.

The last hit is oGCD so would feel weird having it on a button you just hit 4 GCDs on as you'd have to bash the button randomly faster for the 5th hit.

It's dumb is what it is. At least let us customize it. Goring blade appears on Fight or Flight which is the same order the Paladin combo goes in so there is precedent for an OGCD and a GCD sharing a button. Going back to the starter button of the combo when it's 10+ seconds later is pointless. Who doesn't spam their button when casting an ability? I probably hit my Confiteor button 30 times during the combo.

For me, Fight or Flight is T and Imperator is Shift + Side mouse button. This is intentional so I can activate one with each hand to get the double weave off as quickly as possible on high ping while also maintaining the ability to move at the same time. Confiteor has always been V for me because that's the key I use for cooldown abilities I have to hit frequently.

I intentionally put Imperator in a less premium button placement because it's only a once a minute thing. Now it's a once a minute + after I finish my Confiteor combo thing which is annoying. Hence why I need to rebind it and re-learn muscle memory.

What I might do is change Imperator to Mouse 3 which is currently Atonement and move Atonement to Shift + Side mouse.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
I think they made a conscious choice on some of these to be specifically on a different button so they appear as a new skill and not just the same shit you did before(at least not exactly). It's like the new RPR 92 or 96 skill that opens ups when you transform, but instead of just being the transform button it's a different button that's usually not used during transformation.

Not a fan but well it's not that bad especially for PLD, Requiescat button should already be pretty accessible.

Better than DNC where they went out of their way to NOT add the replacement stuff just to fill up the bars, so you have skills that can only be used after another skill that don't conflict with anything that are still their own buttons(Fan Dance IV and Starfall Dance)

The class I'm most familiar with right now is Warrior, and they both did that and didn't do that at the same time.

On one hand, Primal Rend becomes Primal Ruination so you're spamming the same button twice in a row.

On the other hand, Inner release gives you your Fell Cleaves and then Primal Wrath goes back on the Inner Release button after 3 Fell Cleaves, which is a separate button.

On the other other hand, Samurai gives me exactly what I want - Ikishoken becomes Zanshin immediately after being used, so I can go C, Shift + C, C, Shift + C. If Samurai didn't have a faster GCD, it would be possible to just press C twice to get Ikishoken --> Zanshin.

They seem kinda all over the place with it.

Chris

Potato del Grande
It's dumb is what it is. At least let us customize it. Goring blade appears on Fight or Flight which is the same order the Paladin combo goes in so there is precedent for an OGCD and a GCD sharing a button. Going back to the starter button of the combo when it's 10+ seconds later is pointless. Who doesn't spam their button when casting an ability? I probably hit my Confiteor button 30 times during the combo.

For me, Fight or Flight is T and Imperator is Shift + Side mouse button. This is intentional so I can activate one with each hand to get the double weave off as quickly as possible on high ping while also maintaining the ability to move at the same time. Confiteor has always been V for me because that's the key I use for cooldown abilities I have to hit frequently.

I intentionally put Imperator in a less premium button placement because it's only a once a minute thing. Now it's a once a minute + after I finish my Confiteor combo thing which is annoying. Hence why I need to rebind it and re-learn muscle memory.

What I might do is change Imperator to Mouse 3 which is currently Atonement and move Atonement to Shift + Side mouse.
This sounds awful, use a controller.

I've got a lot of life hacks I can share.

Sprint on R3 is amazing for example, saves me a lot of vulnerability stacks and deaths.

I can tap R1 to switch between Single Target and AoE hotbars which saves a lot of buttons and is irrelevent seeing the AoE abilities in 95% of endgame fights anyway.

Sheath on L3 switches between combat and non combat hotbars, don't need shit all over your screen like Job change buttons.

Instant cast abilities on the opposite of your movement hand so you can move and cast easily, (you can do same hand if you switch fingers but a bit more awkward).

Did you level Viper yet? The going back to buttons you just pressed is crazy with this job but enjoying it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
This sounds awful, use a controller.

I've got a lot of life hacks I can share.

Sprint on R3 is amazing for example, saves me a lot of vulnerability stacks and deaths.

I can tap R1 to switch between Single Target and AoE hotbars which saves a lot of buttons and is irrelevent seeing the AoE abilities in 95% of endgame fights anyway.

Sheath on L3 switches between combat and non combat hotbars, don't need shit all over your screen like Job change buttons.

Instant cast abilities on the opposite of your movement hand so you can move and cast easily, (you can do same hand if you switch fingers but a bit more awkward).

Did you level Viper yet? The going back to buttons you just pressed is crazy with this job but enjoying it.

Controllers are objectively worse and few good players use them.

No offence Chris but you parse low greys and don't do any hard content at all. With your ping and with a controller I bet you clip like a motherfucker. No shame, just pointing it out .

What I use works for me. I just need to figure it out.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I have a feeling that another stat squish is coming with the next expansion.. You can already smash the circles of Pandæmonium(S) skipping a lot of mechs from just the "base" Item lvl.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>

I just did a dungeon on Dark Knight and realized what I want is exactly what they did on Salted Earth/Salt and Darkness. Annoyance intensifying.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Controllers are objectively worse and few good players use them.

No offence Chris but you parse low greys and don't do any hard content at all. With your ping and with a controller I bet you clip like a motherfucker. No shame, just pointing it out .

What I use works for me. I just need to figure it out.
Oh that's kind of disgusting that info is out there. Found FFLogs...

I see logs for my one attempt/kill of Brute Bomber as healer and my four Trial 2 kills as tank yesterday.

I genuinely want to improve if I should be higher than grey on my first clears of things in prog groups. Seems like I'm doing 2/3rds DPS of what is possible as a Tank. I have the rotation OK, I do less DPS on the harder mechanics though because I'm looking wtf to do.

I did more damage than the Bard on my best performance though. I had a good look but is there anyway to know what I'm doing wrong from that website?

Chris

Potato del Grande
You got me freaking out Chysamere Chysamere

Me:
Screenshot_20240721-191119_Chrome.jpg

Best clear on website:
Screenshot_20240721-190926_Chrome.jpg

I have an issue with dropping Expiation/Circle of Scorn casts which I mentioned on the last page, think I have a solution for that by setting bars up differently.

Otherwise seems like he's just doing more DPS per ability, on some abilities upto the third extra I'm missing. Gonna guess buffs and gear optimisation is a big issue, I'm intentionally gearing for tank stats and not DPS stats for progression.

If it was lag/slower controller input, wouldn't the DPS per ability be closer and I'd just be doing the rotation slower and fitting in less abilities?

Will look at the fight time in a bit and see how many rotations I'm doing per minite.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
Oh that's kind of disgusting that info is out there. Found FFLogs...

I see logs for my one attempt/kill of Brute Bomber as healer and my four Trial 2 kills as tank yesterday.

I genuinely want to improve if I should be higher than grey on my first clears of things in prog groups. Seems like I'm doing 2/3rds DPS of what is possible as a Tank. I have the rotation OK, I do less DPS on the harder mechanics though because I'm looking wtf to do.

I did more damage than the Bard on my best performance though. I had a good look but is there anyway to know what I'm doing wrong from that website?

Yeah I recommend it in combination with xivanalysis to see where you are making your mistakes. It /really/ helped me in EW up my game.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
For Example, this is your highest parse on Extreme 2:

1721586610227.png

Not sure what's going on with Atonement there.

You can get a full rundown for that particular fight at xivanalysis

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Also lag plays a big deal , for Speed stats everyone is different sense every ones lag is different. Which is why there are usually 3-4 different sets of materia/equipment.

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
Purely as an example, here's my highest on the same fight:

1721586909998.png

A big part of it seems to be your uptime. You can see it gives me a big red X for 97.7% uptime and you're at 61.2% which is probably where a lot of your missing damage is.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Purely as an example, here's my highest on the same fight:

View attachment 537828

A big part of it seems to be your uptime. You can see it gives me a big red X for 97.7% uptime and you're at 61.2% which is probably where a lot of your missing damage is.
Well I'll keep at it and hope someone on PC parses me.

Can't say I'm the most concerned with GCD uptime when I'm avoiding mechanics on progression as a tank, but lag being a problem is a worry.