Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
Well I'll keep at it and hope someone on PC parses me.

Can't say I'm the most concerned with GCD uptime when I'm avoiding mechanics on progression as a tank, but lag being a problem is a worry.

Lag is a problem if you aren't pre-pressing your next ability. You want to be hitting the button for it well before it becomes available and the game itself will queue it up as soon as it becomes available to use, which mitigates lag as a problem. Lag is only really a problem when it comes to double weaving.

Your uptime will improve as your familiarity with the fight does. Making sure you are getting your full complement of abilities in under Fight or Flight and also not dropping combos will be a big chunk of DPS.

I think Atonement is a bit bugged at the moment due to the changes to it.

Also you're right that no one uses defensive stats at all. Even tanks only meld Crit/DH. There's never been a modern fight where defensive stats were necessary so no one bothers. Either you can mit it with your defensive cooldowns or you use an invuln if that's not possible.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Lag is a problem if you aren't pre-pressing your next ability. You want to be hitting the button for it well before it becomes available and the game itself will queue it up as soon as it becomes available to use, which mitigates lag as a problem. Lag is only really a problem when it comes to double weaving.

Your uptime will improve as your familiarity with the fight does. Making sure you are getting your full complement of abilities in under Fight or Flight and also not dropping combos will be a big chunk of DPS.

I think Atonement is a bit bugged at the moment due to the changes to it.

Also you're right that no one uses defensive stats at all. Even tanks only meld Crit/DH. There's never been a modern fight where defensive stats were necessary so no one bothers. Either you can mit it with your defensive cooldowns or you use an invuln if that's not possible.
I do pre-press abilities.

The log says my GCD is sub 2.5 seconds so I assume lag would put me above 2.5 seconds and mechanics would start to hit me.

I'm also hitting everything correctly in my first rotation and not dripping things due to lag time, so I'm thinking it's mostly not hitting abilities when Regicidal Rage is happening or dodging swords in the alternate dimension.

You've called me out hard here for suggesting a controller by the way.

Last edited:

Chysamere

FF14 Free Company Master
<WoW Guild Officer>
I do pre-press abilities.

The log says my GCD is sub 2.5 seconds so I assume lag would put me above 2.5 seconds and mechanics would start to hit me.

I'm also hitting everything correctly in my first rotation and not dripping things due to lag time, so I'm thinking it's mostly not hitting abilities when Regicidal Rage is happening or dodging swords in the alternate dimension.

You've called me out hard here for suggesting a controller by the way.

People using controllers have cleared everything in the game up to and including Ultimate content. It can be done. I couldn't do it though.

It's way harder to be a good controller player than a good keyboard player. You need to be amazing with a controller to match decent with a keyboard.

This generally means that controller players are significantly worse than Keyboard players. Not always, but generally.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just got Picto to 90 and yea one Aglia Alliance Raid gave me almost a whole level. So will be quick getting back to 96 for MSQ.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Just got Picto to 90 and yea one Aglia Alliance Raid gave me almost a whole level. So will be quick getting back to 96 for MSQ.
The 90 alliance raids apparently give really good xp especially if you get a party that goes fast, but it's pretty RNG if you do or get shitters that die to every mech and end up taking 40mins instead. But say if you were to make a 24man premade, it'd likely be the fastest way to level up to 100 since Thaleia gives the same xp as Origenics(the 99 dungeon) and can be run in like 20mins with a strong party.

Aazrael

The 90 alliance raids apparently give really good xp especially if you get a party that goes fast, but it's pretty RNG if you do or get shitters that die to every mech and end up taking 40mins instead. But say if you were to make a 24man premade, it'd likely be the fastest way to level up to 100 since Thaleia gives the same xp as Origenics(the 99 dungeon) and can be run in like 20mins with a strong party.
Seems most runs I've done are around 20ish minutes, thank god. But a premade would probably be better. I would rather do dungeons but the queue time is too long on them. And NPC party is not as fun.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems most runs I've done are around 20ish minutes, thank god. But a premade would probably be better. I would rather do dungeons but the queue time is too long on them. And NPC party is not as fun.
Queues on my DC have been very good for DPS(or well they've been very average I should say, like 8-12mins, the same as non expansion launch times) so I haven't minded, but yeah alliance have faster queues so that's nice, and yeah I haven't gotten too many bad parties when I get them in roulette but last week I did get a 34mins one that wasn't very good.

I'm almost done with DPS though, only have one day of daillies for VPR and then it's just NIN left at 92(so a couple of days of daillies probably) and BRD/MCH left at 98 as they're finishing the last few FATE zones. Still have 2 tanks and 3 healers though, but these go fast regardless, and a couple are halfway(GNB somehow is 95 off doing only trials and raid roulette everyday).

Merrith

Anyone else remember if the gathering turn ins for scrips used to give more for the lesser scrip than higher one (purple turn ins v orange for DT)? Pretty sure they did, but now they're identical essentially. Just seems odd b/c for crafting you still get more per crafting purple turn in than you do orange.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Queues on my DC have been very good for DPS(or well they've been very average I should say, like 8-12mins, the same as non expansion launch times) so I haven't minded, but yeah alliance have faster queues so that's nice, and yeah I haven't gotten too many bad parties when I get them in roulette but last week I did get a 34mins one that wasn't very good.

I'm almost done with DPS though, only have one day of daillies for VPR and then it's just NIN left at 92(so a couple of days of daillies probably) and BRD/MCH left at 98 as they're finishing the last few FATE zones. Still have 2 tanks and 3 healers though, but these go fast regardless, and a couple are halfway(GNB somehow is 95 off doing only trials and raid roulette everyday).
I'm wondering if tank and healer will be super quick in Agalia if DPS has 10 min queues?

Alliance Raids do occasionally have DPS in need for roulette, but seems like the healer and tank slots fill last.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Anyone else remember if the gathering turn ins for scrips used to give more for the lesser scrip than higher one (purple turn ins v orange for DT)? Pretty sure they did, but now they're identical essentially. Just seems odd b/c for crafting you still get more per crafting purple turn in than you do orange.
It was a bit less yeah, the purple stuff was 32/34/34 for the 3 botanist items for example while the highest white scrip stuff was 28/28/30. Don't think it really matters though cause they're just different mats anyway, it's not like gathering the purple scrip mats will serve any purpose over gathering the orange ones and unlike crafting it doesn't use higher tier and presumably more expensive mats(cooking tends to fuck that though as usual). They have higher reqs I guess but that's also not super relevant for scrips mats.

I'm wondering if tank and healer will be super quick in Agalia if DPS has 10 min queues?

Alliance Raids do occasionally have DPS in need for roulette, but seems like the healer and tank slots fill last.
I wasn't saying I'm going to do alliance raids on them(or anyone, I don't care about the alliance stuff was just saying it's good xp, I still do dungeons mostly but mostly I've just been doing daillies and not much more). Healer queues in alliance are good though, tanks are shit. The 10mins I mentionned was for normal leveling dungeon DPS queues, raid is a bit faster when I do the roulette.

Aazrael

So I'm level 95 now on the picto and while waiting for the roulette pop I went and nuked some monsters in the 4th zone. They die in 3 hits and lots of those hits are instacasts. I though BLM was doing good damage but damn...

Chris

Potato del Grande
So I'm level 95 now on the picto and while waiting for the roulette pop I went and nuked some monsters in the 4th zone. They die in 3 hits and lots of those hits are instacasts. I though BLM was doing good damage but damn...
I'm levelling Mechanist (at 60) and there's a crit ability that almost one shots enemies.

Viper is at 100 and has an ability to turn on all the procs and you can just annihilate enemies in seconds.

Most classes have something like this.

They really dropped the ball on world mobs being "kill 1 and back to NPC" when you can just blow them up, it's a shame there's no challenge or creativity in the zones. Going back and doing Heavensward FATEs and there's more variety there than in Dawntrail FATEs.

It's worse than the mistake WoW did nerfing the open world.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
I'm levelling Mechanist (at 60) and there's a crit ability that almost one shots enemies.

You get several One shot abilites on Mecha(against normal mobs).. Chainsaw,Excavator,Drill can all be crit adjust with reassemble.. I'm still wondering why Full-Metal Field can't be crit adjusted.. Just seems odd for how rare it pops up.

Chris

Potato del Grande
You get several One shot abilites on Mecha(against normal mobs).. Chainsaw,Excavator,Drill can all be crit adjust with reassemble.. I'm still wondering why Full-Metal Field can't be crit adjusted.. Just seems odd for how rare it pops up.
Doesn't it have crit baked into it already? Read the skill when planning my hotbars.

But yeah Reassemble + Drill is what I'm using. Seems like it gets two charges too so you can get multiple crits at the start of combat?

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Picto is pretty good for overworld killing but it still requires precasting the motifs and it's tied mostly to hammer cooldown so if you fight too often it's not that great.

A ton of DPS do well in this situation though, a lot of them have big burst buttons on 1min cd like hammer and can clear out trash mobs for like hunts and what not really easily. NIN can still reset ninjutsus with Hide so you can double Raiton and Hyosho every minute+other oGCDs, SAM has high burst with Meikyo charges and the 2min, DRG has strong burst as long as Dragonfire Dive or Geirskogul is up, RDM still has solid options for burst with dual cast+fleche+contre, MCH with reassemble as mentionned, SMN still has high burst almost all the time by design if you skip the worst part of each summon as you're moving from mob to mob with stupid burst on 1min.

Some classes like VPR, BRD and MNK are worse at it but generally speaking all the DPS are just pretty good at blowing up mobs if it's not a constant stream of them like if you have to fly around between them, and even some of the tanks during 1min burst(DRK can double/triple weave shit and burst pretty hard if you have the mana, WAR obviously has very strong 1mins and GNB has Double Down, PLD is a bit slower though). Healers just suck ass at this though, all of them lack burst options so it's usually like 4-5GCDs per mob regardless.

Merrith

It was a bit less yeah, the purple stuff was 32/34/34 for the 3 botanist items for example while the highest white scrip stuff was 28/28/30. Don't think it really matters though cause they're just different mats anyway, it's not like gathering the purple scrip mats will serve any purpose over gathering the orange ones and unlike crafting it doesn't use higher tier and presumably more expensive mats(cooking tends to fuck that though as usual). They have higher reqs I guess but that's also not super relevant for scrips mats.
Looking back, it was Shadowbringers when gap was a little more noticeable for gatherer scrips. Back then top yellow turn in could max out at 52 whereas the top white was 39 I believe. Also until you had good melded gear, it was much easier to hit breakpoints for bonus attempts on the yellow scrip collectible nodes, making it really feel like you were getting more bang for your buck per node. EW there was a much smaller gap, like 42 versus 38 or something around that for top end white and purple. In DT, there's zero difference at top end with both purple and orange maxing out at 38 per item turned in. Although ironically due to all the oranges being level 100 items, if you're doing full 2 hour farm rotations for the best orange scrip mats, the lowest you'll receive from a 1000 collectibility turn in will be 36, whereas a couple of the purples give 35 at 1000.

Purples do serve a purpose when you're farming to spend on Gathering Materia XI's to overmeld. Oranges get you XII's. The lower reqs for purples made it a lot easier to hit breakpoints for them early on before getting melded a little more out, too. It just used to be a good bit faster to farm the lower tier scrip than the higher, and not just b/c the materia you were spending the scrip on cost half as much (DT are XI's and XII's of course, XI's are only 250 purple while XII's are 500 orange apiece).

Also the mats between crafting purple and orange collectible turn ins aren't really any different. Obviously ALC and CUL kind of mess with this because of weird subcombines (although arguably the Orange CUL combine is easier then the best purple, due to the only potential HQ ingrediant being an EW level subcombine that you can HQ with a 2 button macro). But all the basic crafters CRP/BSM/ARM/GSM/LTW/WVR use amounts of all the top end crafted mats for both the top purple and orange scrip combines (some combinations of Claro Walnut Lumber/Ra'Kaznar Ingot/Black Star/Magnesia Whetstone/Thunderyards Silk/Gargantua Leather). There's an odd water thrown in for one (which you also use for one of ALC combines) and ironically a lower tier leather for the orange LTW combine, but majority are just those top end basic combines for materials. Despite this, you get 198 purple scrips for max collectibility of its top end turn in, while orange is only 144 (exact same split as in EW and ShB, I believe).

With decently melded gear, you can one button macro both purple and orange crafted collectibles if you're using CUL for orange and HQing the Dark Rye Flour (old level 81 recipe).

Goonsquad Officer
yea picto is king of lazy ass hunt targets. you fly over. blast 2 down in one rotation of the canvases. then fly to your next target, ready to do it again.