Final Fantasy XIV (Guide in first post)

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It's the final three planets she talks about before her transformation, the camera goes to a different character for a reaction shot after each one.

She also doesn't give the numerical code and dispassionate report like the previous ones, she's intentionally choosing them and delivering the outcome in a spiteful tone to upset us.

Emet is a powerful sorcerer who would hate to lose and be conquered.

Hythlodeus is in charge of creature concept submissions and would hate the thought of a limit to what is possible. He's already annoyed that people are running out of ideas and making ever more shark variants.

Venat is a rare convocation member who retired but didn't return to the star, she has a strong will to live and would hate for people to lose it.

This still sounds like conjecture that it's absolutely directed at those 3 for those specific reasons, unless the devs expressly stated that. The camera also focuses on Hermes prior to the other 3, and on the WoL after the other 3...suggesting it's just allowing each a reaction shot as she concludes her report by expressly answering when Hermes repeats his question/plea about finding an answer to what gives others' lives purpose. In that case, she's just reporting different reasons for why certain races/peoples did not find a good answer to Hermes' question.

We also get to see evidence of many of the civilizations/races she mentions throughout her report in Ultima Thule, the Dead Ends dungeon, and later through the Omnicron questline (gatherers). The numerical code was just variations of Greek words for numbering of the planets, and she isn't dispassionate b/c she's already going dark at that point embracing the Nihilistic viewpoint. The irony is reading some of the notes from the Dead Ends dungeon, it becomes clear that Meteion herself(themselves) was the reason for a couple of the worlds to eventually slide into oblivion.

Chris

Potato del Grande
This still sounds like conjecture that it's absolutely directed at those 3 for those specific reasons, unless the devs expressly stated that. The camera also focuses on Hermes prior to the other 3, and on the WoL after the other 3...suggesting it's just allowing each a reaction shot as she concludes her report by expressly answering when Hermes repeats his question/plea about finding an answer to what gives others' lives purpose. In that case, she's just reporting different reasons for why certain races/peoples did not find a good answer to Hermes' question.

We also get to see evidence of many of the civilizations/races she mentions throughout her report in Ultima Thule, the Dead Ends dungeon, and later through the Omnicron questline (gatherers). The numerical code was just variations of Greek words for numbering of the planets, and she isn't dispassionate b/c she's already going dark at that point embracing the Nihilistic viewpoint. The irony is reading some of the notes from the Dead Ends dungeon, it becomes clear that Meteion herself(themselves) was the reason for a couple of the worlds to eventually slide into oblivion.
It doesn't matter.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Finally dove into the Endwalker Post MSQ, its interesting, but I get the complaints that it doesnt have the same oomph that the other X.1 to X.3's did with the end of the expansion stories. Glad they finally brought in a prior FF world into the game though. Just wondering...

So Zero's domain is the town of Baron right? Its updated obviously but the knight statue reminded me of Paladin Cecil, and of course the music. Troia is specifically named at least.

Will be curious if they make any of the other surviving reflections based on prior games. I know that I (maybe), V, and VI worlds were visited by Omega so they wont be one of them, but it would have been neat if each one was a prior game.

edit. hahahaha when they designed Storm's Crown trail they had "fuck Black Mages in particular" in mind. What a fantastic fight.

Keep playing the 4 callbacks don't stop until it is "over" for now.

And Storms Crown on Black Mage /easy =p

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
At what point do you start running into people in the adventure zones?

I have made it to level 52 now, and do not think I've seen a single word uttered across any zone I've been to in 65+ hrs.

Is this basically a lobby game at this point of its life, kinda like how..I think it was wotlk...that you just sat in Dalran and qued non-stop?

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
At what point do you start running into people in the adventure zones?

I have made it to level 52 now, and do not think I've seen a single word uttered across any zone I've been to in 65+ hrs.

Is this basically a lobby game at this point of its life, kinda like how..I think it was wotlk...that you just sat in Dalran and qued non-stop?

depends actually. I bump in to people all the time but some zones are more dead than others. The OG zones tend to stay populated as do the last 1-2 expansions or any zone with lots of quests. Otherwise they are empty

overall FFxiv does a way better job of keeping the “top” constantly coming back down to new players. Epic weapons, side quests, epic fates, hunt mobs, duty finder, etc.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
DC/What time you play also matters.

For instance the first 2 zones are usually "dead" other then when NMs pop over the week on Crystal , but they are packed/have multiple instances running on the weekends/holidays..

And if you are on Dynamis DC.. that is the reason that DC overall is dead, and will probably stay dead till the Xbox version releases..

Aazrael

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I always felt the overworld experience is/was wasted. So many cool places and lots of monsters but you mainly rush past everything with the MSQ on your first job (unless you do sidequests).

Then when you level alt jobs its mainly roulettes or PoTD.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I always felt the overworld experience is/was wasted. So many cool places and lots of monsters but you mainly rush past everything with the MSQ on your first job (unless you do sidequests).

Then when you level alt jobs its mainly roulettes or PoTD.
Overworld zones can be bland compared to some of the outdoor themed dungeons too.

Tide27

I think I am going to hang up my FF14 hat. Made it to 55 now, so I feel I have a solid grasp of the game at this point.

My frustration comes in because it's gone from a game experience, to an anime experience.

I'm at a point to where it goes from....talk to npc, 5 min cut scene....port to next npc, another 5 min cutscene, port to next location..kill some random mob in 5 hits....5 min cut scene, port back...5 min cutscene, talk to npc right next to you...another 5 min cutscene.

It never fucking stops. It would be fine if you played the game, and cut scenes and long dialog happened sparingly..or at major event or plots...but no...I spend 2 mins playing the game, for every 15 mins I'm in cutscenes.

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
The main quest is a lot of talking and “postal service” as I call it, but the actual game is quite good. It’s basically a single player rpg story mixed with an online game. One thing I do love about it is that it seems like a callback to every single FF before it.

obviously do what you want, but I’d say tough out the early quests and get to the core game, it’s good. Also though not sure what you want out of it. I’ve tried so,e games(new world) with false expectations and hated playing them. So can understand the perspective

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think I am going to hang up my FF14 hat. Made it to 55 now, so I feel I have a solid grasp of the game at this point.

My frustration comes in because it's gone from a game experience, to an anime experience.

I'm at a point to where it goes from....talk to npc, 5 min cut scene....port to next npc, another 5 min cutscene, port to next location..kill some random mob in 5 hits....5 min cut scene, port back...5 min cutscene, talk to npc right next to you...another 5 min cutscene.

It never fucking stops. It would be fine if you played the game, and cut scenes and long dialog happened sparingly..or at major event or plots...but no...I spend 2 mins playing the game, for every 15 mins I'm in cutscenes.
It uses to be worse lol.

The MSQ unlocks content, you need to actually play what you unlocked instead of unlocking more.

Race some chocobos or do a raid.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

Thankfully, Ive stopped seeing the "The story gets better, just keep going!" from a lot of people. Im hoping people have realized that not everyone wants to read a fucking book dished out like an interactive movie when they actually just want to play a fucking game. This is my third time trying to get through Endwalker story, and the last time I had a chance to log in.. I was just clicking through the dialogue like its WOW. They really need to put key words into these paragraph sized fucking text boxes so I can get the jist of wtf is going on without needing to read the whole thing. As Im still not done with it, and the expansion is on its way.. and Im just feeling apathetic about the whole fucking thing now.

Shadowbringers was the first expansion where I was done with the MSQ and really got to see what the rest of the game was all about. That part, and that part alone, for me, is the fun part of the game. The base MSQ that come with the expansion wasnt even that bad, either. They went with more action and less dialogue. Then for whatever reason, the devs thought everyone needed more dialogue and cranked that shit up in the following patches of Shadowbringers and Endwalker in its entirety. Its just awful to me. But seriously, if you ever get to the point where you are out of MSQ to do and can start doing the rest of the game (not necesarrily the end game) - then you'll have fun. Theres a lot to the game, it just has this awful barrier to entry for a lot of people.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

Stop the MSQ for a bit and do other stuff.

At level 50 you have access to Palace of the Dead, Primal Extremes, Coils of Bahamut, a bunch of 'Hard' Dungeons, PVP, Hildibrand, Zodiac Relics and Tribal Quests just off the top of my head.

Do that content until you feel like you're ready to do more MSQ. Unless you are super enjoying the story, there's no reason to mainline it and no reason to beeline to max level.

It's about the journey not the destination and those activities have more "game" to them.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Thankfully, Ive stopped seeing the "The story gets better, just keep going!" from a lot of people. Im hoping people have realized that not everyone wants to read a fucking book dished out like an interactive movie when they actually just want to play a fucking game. This is my third time trying to get through Endwalker story, and the last time I had a chance to log in.. I was just clicking through the dialogue like its WOW. They really need to put key words into these paragraph sized fucking text boxes so I can get the jist of wtf is going on without needing to read the whole thing. As Im still not done with it, and the expansion is on its way.. and Im just feeling apathetic about the whole fucking thing now.

Shadowbringers was the first expansion where I was done with the MSQ and really got to see what the rest of the game was all about. That part, and that part alone, for me, is the fun part of the game. The base MSQ that come with the expansion wasnt even that bad, either. They went with more action and less dialogue. Then for whatever reason, the devs thought everyone needed more dialogue and cranked that shit up in the following patches of Shadowbringers and Endwalker in its entirety. Its just awful to me. But seriously, if you ever get to the point where you are out of MSQ to do and can start doing the rest of the game (not necesarrily the end game) - then you'll have fun. Theres a lot to the game, it just has this awful barrier to entry for a lot of people.
This kind of narrative style doesn't belong in an MMO or even in a game, I agree.

Stories in gaming need to be told mostly via gameplay and not extended story sequences, if there's a non combat section then there should be something like meaningful dialogue options, if there's a long cutscene it should be a reward and something badass.

Cyberpunk is mostly getting this stuff right, the expansion that just came out was incredible.

• 1Like

Tide27

Stop the MSQ for a bit and do other stuff.

At level 50 you have access to Palace of the Dead, Primal Extremes, Coils of Bahamut, a bunch of 'Hard' Dungeons, PVP, Hildibrand, Zodiac Relics and Tribal Quests just off the top of my head.

Do that content until you feel like you're ready to do more MSQ. Unless you are super enjoying the story, there's no reason to mainline it and no reason to beeline to max level.

It's about the journey not the destination and those activities have more "game" to them.
See, and maybe this is what the game isnt good at explaining.

Everyone says you have to do the MSQ to unlock stuff. Im 55 and have not heard a single word about any of those events or activities you mention. I get to a point in the MSQ and it gives me a new boss to kill ( Ramuh ) I think was the last one Ive done...but never heard of those other activities you mentioned.

• 1Like

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
See, and maybe this is what the game isnt good at explaining.

Everyone says you have to do the MSQ to unlock stuff. Im 55 and have not heard a single word about any of those events or activities you mention. I get to a point in the MSQ and it gives me a new boss to kill ( Ramuh ) I think was the last one Ive done...but never heard of those other activities you mentioned.

You probably do need to have finished the MSQ up to the beginning of Heavensward. It sounds like you are overlevelled for the part of the MSQ you are in.

You are at a famously boring part of the game. They went back and trimmed it quite extensively, but it IS still boring.

This is the biggest filter in the game. Push through it. The game opens up and gets far more interesting soon. The 24 man raids for MSQ are just around the corner for example.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>

It's a final fantasy game. It's still a JRPG at its core with a JRPG plot. It just has a MMO veneer on top.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muligan

Trakanon Raider

As others have said, you do whatever you enjoy but I would recommend mixing it up a bit. I ran into the same wall you did as well but there is so much more to the game and they really do a lot right!

I used this MSQ List (Main Scenario Quests - Final Fantasy XIV Online Wiki - FFXIV / FF14 Online Community Wiki and Guide) to help me find breaks in the story and step away to try other things.

The Gold Saucer is a blast. Dungeons are pretty low stress but I'm comparing that to being a tank in WoW, pushing keys, and everyone wanting you to know the routes, etc. (which drives me crazy but I get it).

I'm not really all that deep into the game but thought I would share since I felt very similar to you and had to find a way to mix it up. I'm moving much slower naturally but I'm enjoying the game much more.