yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FFX was the worst voice acting, everything since has been an improvement

• 1Slow
  • 1Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

Djay

Trakanon Raider
The FFX laughing meme aside, what was wrong with FFX voice acting? John DiMaggio was great, as always. Auron was awesome. I guess Yuna was kinda boring, but she was supposed to be.
I just played through it a couple years ago...it held up for me.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
It'd be cool if BigMode picked up a few of these games, lol.

It's pretty cool that a super-successful Youtuber parlayed his Youtube money into funding publishing for small, unknown, talented developers.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
That Saudi tournament has been surreal.

Last night a match had the crowd full of those traditional white muslim robes, then the next game it was all pink and cosplay and glowing signs from the chinese fans (the chinese team main color is pink).

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Fairly assayed. I think just about all of the old Hangzou spark players have done female cosplay :emoji_laughing:
Okay, let me see if I understand what you are trying to communicate;
  • Hangzou spark is a Chinese e-sports team
  • Overwatch: Hangzhou Spark Keeps Seven of Their Players

• Them cosplaying as scantily clad female characters in front of the Saudis would be funny
Did I get that right?

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Haha no the cosplay was years ago. The pictures are still out there on twitter though.

I'm kinda surprised, China had a bit of a crackdown on femboys awhile back. Started rounding them up and sending them to military school or something?

Gamewise though they did pretty good. They didn't have their team together at the beginning of the year so they can't compete in the official blizzard OWCS, but they got an invite to this event from the Saudis.

It's on right now:

Siliconemelons

The FFX laughing meme aside, what was wrong with FFX voice acting? John DiMaggio was great, as always. Auron was awesome. I guess Yuna was kinda boring, but she was supposed to be.
I just played through it a couple years ago...it held up for me.

I have seen a few anime in my day so the laughing thing was what it was, an anime japan trope thing that would take a pause and explain type thing, so they just did what they could

I thought X had good VA , as did advent children etc..but i hate subs (i know, i have an odd form of dislexia i read slow) so i have kinda gotten used to dubs and that style of VA

EQ2 was well voice acted ;)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gauze

Molten Core Raider
>Company begins using AI voice since humans are refusing to do it, saves tons of time and money.
If it's at all similar to art/ai problem, it's less about using AI as a tool and more about using voice actor's portfolio of work to train the AI.. so that you could have Blum or Mercer w/o actually using Blum or Mercer. The fight is more or less trying to do the James Earl Jones with Disney situation where contracting their likeness allows them to collect royalties for their use of likeness. If it doesn't go over well though, what will probably happen to the industry is people selling a series of expressions, reactions, and varying emotionally charge sentences to feed the machine, and these companies will use that rather than a general pool of data or specific actor.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

All they have to do is pay out to some big batch of randos, have it all in files that can be said that trained the models in court…

Even if they are using unlicensed voices to train, it will be practically impossible to prove

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
If it's at all similar to art/ai problem, it's less about using AI as a tool and more about using voice actor's portfolio of work to train the AI.. so that you could have Blum or Mercer w/o actually using Blum or Mercer. The fight is more or less trying to do the James Earl Jones with Disney situation where contracting their likeness allows them to collect royalties for their use of likeness. If it doesn't go over well though, what will probably happen to the industry is people selling a series of expressions, reactions, and varying emotionally charge sentences to feed the machine, and these companies will use that rather than a general pool of data or specific actor.
Right now, there ARE actors who can ask for royalties to use their voice likeness. In two-three decades, there won't be any voice actor to command those royalties; it will be all AI profiles.

Burns

Both Logitech and Naga now use the cheapest/shittyest mouse button switches on the market. So if the subscription means free mouse replacement, it might be worth it to heavy users... but probably not.

On a related note, I tried to replace the switches in my old Logitech MMO mouse that they don't make anymore and bricked it. There is a fairly active community of nerds on reddit centered around getting the fastest mouse response or the most longevity, by using good switches.