General Gaming News and Discussion

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Not to derail or be contrarian Mist Mist but I thought that Blackstone not Black Rock was catching flack for the recent home acquisitions?

quick snippet I saw online from the following link

If I am incorrect I will humbly concede

View attachment 541530

Does Blackrock Buy Houses?.
It's more like Blackstone bought houses with BlackRock's (and plenty of other people's) money.

BlackRock does not buy individual homes. But they shifted tons of investment dollars into residential real estate when they knew equities and commercial real estate were about to go down.

It is slightly confusing.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
Sadly, for a game to get financed now it has to have ESG / DEI considerations. It's quite a racket for firms like Sweet Baby
Are there any Black people in Elden Ring? I still have hope.

It does have two trannies and a gay couple, but you get to kill them.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Most people who just throw "Black Rock" into an argument have literally no idea what they're talking about.

BlackRock is an investment firm. BlackRock + Vanguard + State Street hold a huge chunk of all US retirement accounts, plus other investment vehicles that people use to reach to retirement faster. Because retirement-related accounts make up roughly 61% of all stock holdings, this means these 3 companies own most of the stock in most of the publicly owned companies on the US market and also other markets. This also means they get a lot of say in who sits on the boards of the companies' who's stocks they own.

Because they are mostly in retirement accounts, they have an obligation to make number go up and make it constantly go up for 30 years straight. Everything they do is in service of make number go up.

When they bought up a bunch of houses? That's because they knew stonks and commercial real estate were about to crater, so they had to go buy something they knew was going to go up. When they invest in large publicly held companies with more diverse boards, it's because they're expecting them to outperform over a 20-30 year horizon compared to others.

Trying to ascribe an ideology to money on the scales you're talking about is fundamentally absurd. Number must go up is all that matters.
That is woefully simplistic. Blackrock’s entire philosophy on how to make the number go up is the problem.

Also, I’m almost 100% sure that prior HBR studies showed DEI didn’t mean shit. (Teams Solve Problems Faster When They’re More Cognitively Diverse). Current replications show the McKinsey assertion on diversity is not reproducible.(McKinsey's Diversity Matters/Delivers/Wins Results Revisited · Econ Journal Watch : Firm financial performance, executives, racial diversity, ethnic diversity) So why are Blackrock, State Street, McKinsey all still pushing this shit?

Because it puts employees in a state of acting like sheep or staying quiet at worst and being religious zealots for the cause at best. That in turn deflects attention from their absolute destruction of the American economy to facilitate a global economy that we aren’t prepared for in the way they want it. All in service of creating a little corporate-communist hellscape where it’s all perfectly controlled by a few companies.

• 5Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

Burns

2024-08-17 07.44.25 www.pcgamer.com 6d742d67d668.png

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
  • 7Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 7 users

Burns

The mystery of gaming has finally been solved;
The people hate exclusives, but love free things!

Genius!

Common Sense Monkey GIF by Travis
It they officially announced the end to exclusivity deals, I might actually make an account and start collecting free games.

• 1Solidarity

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It they officially announced the end to exclusivity deals, I might actually make an account and start collecting free games.
Eh. Never bought a game through Epic but I have a shit ton of free games I never played.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

Eh. Never bought a game through Epic but I have a shit ton of free games I never played.
There have been 3 or 4 giveaways where I was tempted, because I would have actually played the game, but exclusivity deals pissed me off when I owned consoles as a kid/young adult, so fuck them for trying to bring them to PC.

• 2Like
  • 1Hodjing
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Vyemm Raider
Two Point Museum announced today, really excited about it, love those games. So far it's announced on PS5, Xbox and PC but hopefully Switch 2 will get it too.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There have been 3 or 4 giveaways where I was tempted, because I would have actually played the game, but exclusivity deals pissed me off when I owned consoles as a kid/young adult, so fuck them for trying to bring them to PC.
Havent we had them already through like Best Buy? Or was it Game Stop? I may just be mixing it up with DLC exclusives, but I could have swore I had to buy through one of those companies. Or, now that Im thinking about it - maybe it was exclusive early release? Idk. But long term exclusives on console or computer can kick fucking rocks, I agree. Still overly annoyed that I have to use an emulator to play Nintendo games on my computer.

Burns

Havent we had them already through like Best Buy? Or was it Game Stop? I may just be mixing it up with DLC exclusives, but I could have swore I had to buy through one of those companies. Or, now that Im thinking about it - maybe it was exclusive early release? Idk. But long term exclusives on console or computer can kick fucking rocks, I agree. Still overly annoyed that I have to use an emulator to play Nintendo games on my computer.
I used to buy games, plus a few xpacs, from Best Buy and EB Games (I think it was), a long time ago, but don't remember having anything exclusive to the store. Walmart used to break street dates, so guess I bought WoW and a few WoW xpacs from them too, but they were never been a big source of PC games back then.

Don't know about DLCs, as I dislike DLCs in general and don't think I have purchased a physical game since they became a thing.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Are there any Black people in Elden Ring? I still have hope.

It does have two trannies and a gay couple, but you get to kill them.
My boxer named Iron Mike is in it. He's pretty dark and looking to rape.

• 1Worf

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
View attachment 541988
Epic would be adopted more if it wasn't such a goddamn trash platform.

Steam isn't magical, other than the fact the UI wasn't designed by literal retards. EA, Ubisoft, Epic, etc. are all absolutely cancer to interact with and complete, unintuitive piles of shit.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

velk

Trakanon Raider

Not that I am aware of - with the age of at-release DLC there were quite a few "exclusive" codes for different retailers to get a free in-game hat and the like. None of the brick and mortar publishers had such a gigantic pile of cash that they could set it on fire to spite competitors though, so I don't know of any cases where they bought exclusivity for the game itself.