General Gaming News and Discussion

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Not to disagree exactly because it's probably just an academic point, but men don't generally need to identify with a character to have fun. However, I think men can instinctively tell when something is a threat, and when games get steered down this path, I think it feels disgusting/repulsive because the lizard-brain picks up on the fact that whoever designed this wants you dead. I don't even think the characters are that bad, if considered in isolation, but there's more at work that just that. If this game were made by gay men and filled with gay characters but was an actual honest attempt at making a good game instead of a propaganda showpiece, it still would have sold more copies to straight men.

Legit questions because I have no idea: What's the best selling game that was specifically built for women? What % of game sales are to women buying for themselves? (as opposed to buying as gifts)

Probably execs throwing a shitfit because of Concord and demanding that their DEI people be fired out of a cannon and their "improvements" be reworked. (lol just kidding, they're probably convinced that Concord failed because just wasn't "inclusive" enough)
I'm not going to speak for every other man. But personally, the fucking color scheme screams "GAY" before you even see the characters. And the characters are the least appealing uggos ever designed.

I want to play the cool hero dude or look a gorgeous woman's ass. This game had none of that and it was all in a puke color scheme to boot.

Visuals matter. That's why we have eyes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Mist is right.

Mobile "games" are no more games than black jack is a game.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
In other news, the pro gay Soulash 2 review bombers got completely destroyed

1725824242493.png

• 3Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not to disagree exactly because it's probably just an academic point, but men don't generally need to identify with a character to have fun.
i remember almost vomiting in my mouth everytime i played last of us2 and it would switch from ellie to the tranny

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Sylas

<Gold Donor>
Not to disagree exactly because it's probably just an academic point, but men don't generally need to identify with a character to have fun.
not to argue this point too much it is a bit academic, but you aren't exactly correct here.

We can play games where there is no character embodiment of anything. We can play as sprites or pixels or other non-anthromorphic things like Pac Man or Qbert or more modern examples like a housecat in stray or a monkey in ancestors. We can play as these things in situations where its a unique game play/mechanic or there is no option/customization choices and we are perfectly fine.

When we are given the character choice/customization though, and especially in games where we "level up" or "unlock" things ie grow more powerful as we spend time playing the character we begin to "embody" the character or what you could call role play. In these scenarios we absolutely must be able to identify with the character aesthetic, it must appeal to us or we nope out. You cannot give a straight male gamer the choice between 10 different faggot trannies of varying hair color and obesity ratings and expect men to enjoy themselves, they physically can't.

• 3Like

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
not to argue this point too much it is a bit academic, but you aren't exactly correct here.

We can play games where there is no character embodiment of anything. We can play as sprites or pixels or other non-anthromorphic things like Pac Man or Qbert or more modern examples like a housecat in stray or a monkey in ancestors. We can play as these things in situations where its a unique game play/mechanic or there is no option/customization choices and we are perfectly fine.

When we are given the character choice/customization though, and especially in games where we "level up" or "unlock" things ie grow more powerful as we spend time playing the character we begin to "embody" the character or what you could call role play. In these scenarios we absolutely must be able to identify with the character aesthetic, it must appeal to us or we nope out. You cannot give a straight male gamer the choice between 10 different faggot trannies of varying hair color and obesity ratings and expect men to enjoy themselves, they physically can't.
Eh, people played female trolls... with new models enabled <shudder>. Some people will play the most hideous option available (or just hit the random button if there is one). Just saying there's more at work here than just terrible characters.

• 1Truth!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So, lol. This continues to be interesting for people who have an interest in trainwrecks. And god, I love a trainwreck.

This was the concept art vs what actually got made:

GW6I0D2WMAACORZ

I am not saying the concept is good. But the product is... so much worse in so many profound ways.

• 1Seriously?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
But the product is... so much worse in so many profound ways.

I'm no artist, but I'm going to have to disagree there. The 3d model is a little simpler, but it's the hand drawn style of the concept art that really makes it look better.

The lipstick on the 3d model is the one thing that does stand out as significantly worse.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Plus the lower shoulder-to-waist ratio, sagging-tits chest, and clothing contouring that looks like hanging fat. The concept version is what I'd call "realistic" non-superhero proportions. The production is obesity in a suit.

• 2Like

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Well the character is supposed to be a tank, right? Large defensive line look is a viable choice - you're looking for mass to absorb damage.

I think part of the issue is they look too "soft" and round. If you look at the concept art, the profile is a bit more stocky vs. round. If they had sharpened some of the edges or made it seem bulkier vs "fatter", then the design may have worked. The overabundance of round makes people think fat instead of strong. I also would have changed the helmet so a visor was covering her upper face

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The final helmet does look more like what should have been a coif underneath the real helmet that's attached directly to the armor.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
So, lol. This continues to be interesting for people who have an interest in trainwrecks. And god, I love a trainwreck.

GW6I0D2WMAACORZ

I am not saying the concept is good. But the product is... so much worse in so many profound ways.
To be honest that's pretty close to the concept art, just simpler.

The problem is they competed against overwatch after overwatch seated itself as the king YEARS ago. A game that's free to play.now.

Chris

Potato del Grande

GW6I0D2WMAACORZ

download (10).jpeg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The characters match the attitude and personality of someone you would find in a community college atmosphere during Halloween. Where they agree with anything that is against Conservative or Right Wing thought because its automatically bad. They never engage in anything that anyone outside of their circle would consider cool (Clubbing, Drugs, Alcohol, Tattoos, etc.). They think theyre smarter than you because theyre doing well in ENG 112. They have zero spine, and wont disagree with you at all if they think you have any power. Whether thats social power, strength, or wealth. If you do, they'll actually suck up to you and be two faced. etc. I described what the characters looked like by thinking about these type of people - so who do we think designed these characters?..

New World taught me a lesson about cosmetics in the last few years, too. If the release versions of armor look "Bad ranging to - ok" at RELEASE, then they'll never, EVER, release an armor that looks bad ass. They'll shoot for it, and at first glance - itll look good. Until you look at it closer, cause its on your fucking character and you'll realize just how awful it is. I hate to be a "woman hater" but who do you think was in control of the armors in New World? The department was/is all women and the one dude there is a junior - lowest on the totem pole.

I looked at the gameplay thanks to Mist... :rolleyes: - And it generally looks ok. Nothing spectacular, and the few people that did play it found a lot of balance issues. Which Ive seen on the best games. Im not saying it deserves a pass, but the movement, animations, etc. are pretty well done.

If I was the HNIC - I'd rip all the topical / graphical assets off this fucking turd. Take it out of the company altogether so that its rebranded completely - find some writers that have a similar writing style to that Pyrrhic Victory of Humans Versus Aliens short story that was posted on Reddit. Find the best Warhammer 40k and DOOM (maybe gears of war.. maybe) artists out there... and redo the world and story from the top down. Then have a CORE team of people that rip every single play mode and arena design from other games, new and old and put the less popular ones on a rotating schedule. Early Access package of 3 days at 40 bucks, with the game releasing as Free to Play. Have a Community Involvement program that pays the designer of armors and weapons a percentage of the best cosmetics sold. Etc. Pay Streamers a pittance of money to play the game for a week. Since "Humans" are the bad guys, as a whole in this story, PC Gamer, Game Informer etc. will write articles about White Guilt, and since theyre fucking bad ass - the other "side" will cover it too.

You know.. everything that makes some older games fucking great.

• 2Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The characters match the attitude and personality of someone you would find in a community college atmosphere during Halloween. Where they agree with anything that is against Conservative or Right Wing thought because its automatically bad. They never engage in anything that anyone outside of their circle would consider cool (Clubbing, Drugs, Alcohol, Tattoos, etc.). They think theyre smarter than you because theyre doing well in ENG 112. They have zero spine, and wont disagree with you at all if they think you have any power. Whether thats social power, strength, or wealth. If you do, they'll actually suck up to you and be two faced. etc. I described what the characters looked like by thinking about these type of people - so who do we think designed these characters?..

New World taught me a lesson about cosmetics in the last few years, too. If the release versions of armor look "Bad ranging to - ok" at RELEASE, then they'll never, EVER, release an armor that looks bad ass. They'll shoot for it, and at first glance - itll look good. Until you look at it closer, cause its on your fucking character and you'll realize just how awful it is. I hate to be a "woman hater" but who do you think was in control of the armors in New World? The department was/is all women and the one dude there is a junior - lowest on the totem pole.

I looked at the gameplay thanks to Mist... :rolleyes: - And it generally looks ok. Nothing spectacular, and the few people that did play it found a lot of balance issues. Which Ive seen on the best games. Im not saying it deserves a pass, but the movement, animations, etc. are pretty well done.

If I was the HNIC - I'd rip all the topical / graphical assets off this fucking turd. Take it out of the company altogether so that its rebranded completely - find some writers that have a similar writing style to that Pyrrhic Victory of Humans Versus Aliens short story that was posted on Reddit. Find the best Warhammer 40k and DOOM (maybe gears of war.. maybe) artists out there... and redo the world and story from the top down. Then have a CORE team of people that rip every single play mode and arena design from other games, new and old and put the less popular ones on a rotating schedule. Early Access package of 3 days at 40 bucks, with the game releasing as Free to Play. Have a Community Involvement program that pays the designer of armors and weapons a percentage of the best cosmetics sold. Etc. Pay Streamers a pittance of money to play the game for a week. Since "Humans" are the bad guys, as a whole in this story, PC Gamer, Game Informer etc. will write articles about White Guilt, and since theyre fucking bad ass - the other "side" will cover it too.

You know.. everything that makes some older games fucking great.
Agreed, my advice to the industry:

HOW FUCKING HARD IS IT TO MAKE A 40K LOOTER SHOOTER LIVE SERVICE GAME

JESUS CHRIST PEOPLE THIS ISNT ROCKET SURGERY

• 2Like