<Gold Donor>
Morgan Webb
1728001233904.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
David Brevik did actually make a legitimately fun ARPG called Marvel Heroes then left and it fell apart almost immediately
Brevik made a lousy ARPG called Marvel Heroes that gradually become something very fun after a couple years of post-launch work then bailed to let Dohrmann speed run the destruction of the company that would taken Brevik much longer. Brevik has basically been the kiss of death since leaving Blizzard.

Flagship Studios: Hellgate London was one of the most high profile launch disasters in history (at the time) and the studio was bankrupt in less than a year

Turbine: This could not have been a very long stint between Flagship and Gazillion but it was long enough to attach his name to an MMO that was pretty much a complete flop until it successfully re-branded under a f2p model

Gazillion: Marvel Heroes started out awful and became pretty solid but there had to have been massive issues with Gazillion that started while it was still under Brevik's leadership for Dohrmann to have run the company into the ground so quickly and thoroughly.

Graybeard Games: Some 90% finished then abandoned bland 2D slop that only sold by pretending the name David Brevik still meant something

Skystone Games: Now we'll find out if he can destroy a small indie publisher the way he destroyed development studios

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Brevik made a lousy ARPG called Marvel Heroes that gradually become something very fun after a couple years of post-launch work then bailed to let Dohrmann speed run the destruction of the company that would taken Brevik much longer. Brevik has basically been the kiss of death since leaving Blizzard.

Flagship Studios: Hellgate London was one of the most high profile launch disasters in history (at the time) and the studio was bankrupt in less than a year

Turbine: This could not have been a very long stint between Flagship and Gazillion but it was long enough to attach his name to an MMO that was pretty much a complete flop until it successfully re-branded under a f2p model

Gazillion: Marvel Heroes started out awful and became pretty solid but there had to have been massive issues with Gazillion that started while it was still under Brevik's leadership for Dohrmann to have run the company into the ground so quickly and thoroughly.

Graybeard Games: Some 90% finished then abandoned bland 2D slop that only sold by pretending the name David Brevik still meant something

Skystone Games: Now we'll find out if he can destroy a small indie publisher the way he destroyed development studios

So you had like 5k hours in a lousy game that was only fun for a short time frame that had nothing to do with Brevik?

Lots of us had fun in Marvel Heroes. You don't need to be a fucking hipster about it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So you had like 5k hours in a lousy game that was only fun for a short time frame that had nothing to do with Brevik?

Lots of us had fun in Marvel Heroes. You don't need to be a fucking hipster about it.
I'm not being a hipster and I never said the year or two the game was actually fun had nothing to do with Brevik. I was trying to say that he probably would have run Gazillion into the ground too, just slower than Dohrmann did.

Did Ken Levine ever do anything? Didn’t he found a new studio back in 2017 and has been pretty radio silent since?

In January 2022, the studio's game was reported to be in development hell, with employees blaming Levine for a lack of leadership in producing a vaguely pitched game that Levine described as a "narrative LEGO" in which every player would have a unique experience.

~8 year development cycle if they manage to hit their March 2025 release date without delays.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chris

Potato del Grande
I occasionally check in on it and zip. Have any former Blizzard glory day folks made anything since they left? Didn’t blizzard north folks and even other MMO/gaming lightning in a bottle catchers have similar track records?
The Blizzard North guys made Torchlight but since they got none of the IP building guys like Metzen, the setting sucked which damaged the sequels.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The Blizzard North guys made Torchlight but since they got none of the IP building guys like Metzen, the setting sucked which damaged the sequels.
Have any Blizz spin offs created a game that didn't suck?

I just think they all leave and take surface level gameplay but always fail to understand the importance of an artistic and thematic underpinning.

Most IPs that are successful today seem to come from an 80s aesthetic, even if it's just informing the worldview of the creator it bleeds into most things. I'm struggling to think of a single big IP that exists out of that.

Star Wars is from the late 70s but it matured into phenomenon in the 80s.

Harry Potter is 80s woman writes teen Tolkien coming of age story.

Warhammer is 80s punk on top of a Western civ class.

Warcraft is basically 80s punk on top of Tolkien in a similar vein.

Fallout is Mad Max style 80s incarnate with retro futurism aesthetic.

I think perhaps the 80s was the last decade the West was truly capable of cultural genesis.