Gravy's Cooking Thread

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I went to a nice little seafood place in Toronto last weekend and for the first time ever had calamari that was prepared fresh and wasn't rubbery. It was goddamn delicious.

Also fed my ever growing oyster addiction.

Dinner | Pearl Diver – Toronto

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Probably buying a Kamado Joe classic this weekend. Anyone got any tips?

Use good lump coal. And use a few cotton balls soaked with alcohol to get it started. Keep it at a low air setting because once that shit gets out of control temp wise, its hard to bring back down. Its always easier to adjust up rather than down.

Buy yourself a nice thermometer. I have one that has a grill probe and one you stick into the meat. Then a second wireless one that you can bring inside and monitor wireless. they run about $50 or so.

Bonus for later...get someone to make you a pizza rack made from mild steel. Like this Koz Knows Homes: DIY Baking Steel but round just enough so its 2" smaller than your top grill grate all around, season it like a wok and enjoy 700F-800F pro pizzas in 3 min, in the middle of summer since the komodo is like a natural brick pizza oven.

You can also do stir fry on it if you remove the top grate and get yourself a wok that fits inside and sits on the bottom grate of your komodo. The temps are insane for a perfect stir fry.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Quick and fast burn and no fuss no mess. some guy at home depot told me about this and I tried it and never looked back. Also no chemicals some of that shit is soaked in. like starter fluid. Might not be important for grilling but it is for smoking shit for long time as not to impart any off flavors of shit smoke. Oh and I forgot to mention this is standard rubbing alcohol, he suggested 90% stuff but Ive used 70% and it worked just as good.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
You just use a couple pieces of newspaper with a chimney starter.

If you wanted to be extremely purist about while still being quick, get one of those souped-up hair dryers.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You dont need any of that. Just make a mound of lump in your komodo, place 3-4 cotton balls soaked with alcohol and the stuff is ready in 5 min. But do what you want bro, just relaying some infos. for slow smoking at like 225-250F you want the charcoal to burn slow from top down. so in essence you dont want to chimney all of your coals, you want just a few to catch fire to provide just enough heat. For grilling I agree, but not for smoking in a komodo. Once you miss that 225-250F window and go above, youre fucked. those grills are insulated with no way to temp control down other than shutting off air flow completely and burping the grill for a hour to get temp to come down. and at that point, the grill might be fully out by then, so then you have to relight it. I made that mistake only once my first year. I vowed to never repeat it. This is why I say its cruicial to start low and work your way up. what I do is light it, leave baffles wide open until I reach about 200F, then shut it down to lowest setting and usually it hits 230F in a few more min.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
You dont need any of that. Just make a mound of lump in your komodo, place 3-4 cotton balls soaked with alcohol and the stuff is ready in 5 min. But do what you want bro, just relaying some infos. for slow smoking at like 225-250F you want the charcoal to burn slow from top down. so in essence you dont want to chimney all of your coals, you want just a few to catch fire to provide just enough heat. For grilling I agree, but not for smoking in a komodo. Once you miss that 225-250F window and go above, youre fucked. those grills are insulated with no way to temp control down other than shutting off air flow completely and burping the grill for a hour to get temp to come down. and at that point, the grill might be fully out by then, so then you have to relight it. I made that mistake only once my first year. I vowed to never repeat it. This is why I say its cruicial to start low and work your way up. what I do is light it, leave baffles wide open until I reach about 200F, then shut it down to lowest setting and usually it hits 230F in a few more min.

Thanks for the tips but lol at you posting a video of Kamado Fried Carbs.

I did a practice smoke last week on some cheap pork, I just got a delivery of some short ribs, a boston butt (has to be special mail order here in the UK) and some Galician steaks Galician Bone-in Sirloin

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
You just use a couple pieces of newspaper with a chimney starter.

If you wanted to be extremely purist about while still being quick, get one of those souped-up hair dryers.
Get a $30 heat gun. Grill going in a couple minutes

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Briquettes are more consistent, especially for smoking. Different sizes of lump charcoal make temperature control more difficult and has no real upside.

The Science of Charcoal: How Charcoal is Made and How Charcoal Works - amazingribs.com

Eh not in a kamado, I've had it two weeks and have had no issues holding temp

That article even specifically refers to kamados

"Lump leaves little ash since there are no binders as in briquets. This is important in some kamado smokers such as the Big Green Egg which don't have a lot of room for ash to collect during long cooks without blocking airflow."

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not saying you can't use it, just that it costs more and performs worse than briquettes. I have used it to smoke shit in my BGE many times, back before I knew that there is no reason to use it.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
That article even specifically refers to kamados

Good job ignoring the whole article except the one sentence that tells you what you wanted to hear. I have a BGE and have never had an issue with ash building up on a single cook and if I did I would spend 30 seconds scraping the ash out.

Buy what you want, I'm just letting people know that when people tell you to buy lump charcoal they are telling you to buy something that costs more and doesn't work as well because it looks cool or they think it's better because it costs more. The size of the chunks absolutely makes a difference in how hot it gets because of surface area and compaction/air flow. That's why some people sort their lump coal by size. With briquettes they are going to be the same every time you cook which is why pros use them. Can you deal with lump? Of course you can, there's just no reason to.

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It would be easy to bake cinnamon rolls in a BGE, but I'm not sure the smoky flavor would enhance them.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
First attempt at Beef Short Ribs on the Kamado, purchased via UK butcher Short ribs

The ribs arrived as 2 slabs, cooked on a Kamado Joe Classic temp around 260f, cooked until 203, then wrapped in foil to rest for 30mins.

Overall I would give them a 6/10 - some parts of the rib were incredible, almost like buttery meat, but some parts were dryer. The underside of the ribs were extremely rigid (the membrane perhaps) and difficult to slice through. Some parts had different consistency also, some parts the meat was more like steak, others it was softer.

Bark also was a little soft despite not using a foil crutch and a total cook time of 6 hours+

IMG_20170128_203422.jpg

IMG_20170128_203123.jpg

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I just got a food processor. I'm so excited about all the new things I can make. Hummus, pesto, tabbouleh, sauces, purees, salsa. The list goes on! Let alone how much easier it's going to be to dice or shred cheese.

At a playoff watch party the other weekend my friend hosted and made brisket in a sous vide. Holy shit I gotta get one of those. No joke best brisket I've ever had which sounds sacrileges since it wasn't smoked. He cooked it for 37 hours or some shit. Amazingly tender.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
First attempt at pulled pork. Hit the stall and temp dropped about 10 degrees, thought I would wait it out but after a few hours it still wasn't going any higher. Plus temp on kamado was dropping and I couldn't get that higher, so I crutched the pork to keep it warm whilst I added more coals - turns out having 1/3rd the coal leftover from yesterday wasn't a good idea.

Temp climbed to 190 and I thought I'd unwrap the pork for the last 15 degrees to help the bark develop. Well after that the temp stopped climbing and it was 11pm lol. So I took it off, let it rest and finally ate at 1145pm.

Meat didn't pull and the underside was completely devoid of bark :/

Turns out this isn't as easy as just watching a youtube vid and replicating every step lol