Gravy's Cooking Thread

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah it really sucks to run out of fuel on a Kamado because adding coals is such a shit show and then it's tough to get the thing back to temp. Did you just add cold coals or did you get them going in a chimney first?

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
First attempt at pulled pork. Hit the stall and temp dropped about 10 degrees, thought I would wait it out but after a few hours it still wasn't going any higher. Plus temp on kamado was dropping and I couldn't get that higher, so I crutched the pork to keep it warm whilst I added more coals - turns out having 1/3rd the coal leftover from yesterday wasn't a good idea.

Temp climbed to 190 and I thought I'd unwrap the pork for the last 15 degrees to help the bark develop. Well after that the temp stopped climbing and it was 11pm lol. So I took it off, let it rest and finally ate at 1145pm.

Meat didn't pull and the underside was completely devoid of bark :/

Turns out this isn't as easy as just watching a youtube vid and replicating every step lol

if you're going to crutch it you can just toss it in the oven at that point. No more smoke is getting in there

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Also if I plan to be serving pulled pork I usually make it the day before since cooking time isn't always easy to predict.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, and you can do that with pretty much all barbecue. It's not like the stuff is coming right out of the smoker at your favorite rib joint. It's all reheated.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just got a food processor. I'm so excited about all the new things I can make. Hummus, pesto, tabbouleh, sauces, purees, salsa. The list goes on! Let alone how much easier it's going to be to dice or shred cheese.

At a playoff watch party the other weekend my friend hosted and made brisket in a sous vide. Holy shit I gotta get one of those. No joke best brisket I've ever had which sounds sacrileges since it wasn't smoked. He cooked it for 37 hours or some shit. Amazingly tender.
People think I'm weird, but I hate the chunky consistency of salsa. There's this local salsa that I love, I put that shit on everything. But it's chunky as fuck, so I throw that in the food processor and get it down to manageable.

Brisket is my favorite thing to sous vide. So amazing, like a different sort of thing when you're done.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
People think I'm weird, but I hate the chunky consistency of salsa. There's this local salsa that I love, I put that shit on everything. But it's chunky as fuck, so I throw that in the food processor and get it down to manageable.

Brisket is my favorite thing to sous vide. So amazing, like a different sort of thing when you're done.

You're weird.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
No u

I dislike chunky spaghetti sauce as well. The fuck is wrong with all you people and your giant chunky foods.
I prefer smooth red sauce as well. My mom always made a smooth sauce with whole sausages, meatballs, pieces of pork in it. It's the best.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I would like it better if all blue cheese dressing were ranch instead, and blue cheese as a concept was lost to humanity forever. Or that yummy parmesan/garlic dip with a similar consistency to ranch that some places make. That stuff is god tier.

Definitely do not prefer a chunky ranch dressing

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
chaos, you may be heading into super taster territory. My condolences.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Also onions have a nasty taste/consistency combo that ruin every dish. COME AT ME.
ZbvWkqH.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I would like it better if all blue cheese dressing were ranch instead, and blue cheese as a concept was lost to humanity forever. Or that yummy parmesan/garlic dip with a similar consistency to ranch that some places make. That stuff is god tier.

Definitely do not prefer a chunky ranch dressing

You're a bad person.

Didn't even know chunky buttermilk dressing existed.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Chaos thinks he hates chunky dips but he's actually been dipping food into rancid milk.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user