Gravy's Cooking Thread

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ichu

Molten Core Raider
I Would leave some of the fat personally, but it's all down to individual preference. It's going to turn out awesome no matter what you do so don't fuss over it.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I bought two dozen choice oysters and they're so much better than the standard ones I've been buying. Bigger, tastier, easier to shuck

Oyster addict for life

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I'm full of oysters and cheap lager.

78.48% erect

raw

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Picked up some picanha steaks, a brasilian cut of "rump cap" that is usually cooked on skewers and rotated over a fire pit. Brazilian rodizio restaurants have become common here in the UK - lots of BBQ meats that are brought to your table for you to take a few slices. This was the closest I could get to imitating that.

Turned out pretty nice, a little rare in places as I was scared of overcooking.

I have a 7lb brisket flat which is going on the kamado joe tomorrow, first time cooking brisket

sS5QS4Z.jpg

aLIHsqd.jpg

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I just dropped one of the Kamado Joe heat deflectors, just as I was getting ready to put the Brisket on. Using a metal roasting tray to deflect the heat on that side, with the meat mostly above the other half of the deflector plate. Hopefully it will be ok, FUCK!

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
What kinda rub you using on the brisket

just salt and pepper Texas style. I went to the store as soon as it opened for some superglue, fortunately the deflector only broke into 3 pieces.

Been on 5.5 hours so far, internal temp at 152 and slowing down. Will wrap when it fully stalls. If I'd known it would have taken this long to hit 150 then I'd have started it overnight, but I guess messing around and breaking heat deflectors didn't help

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I get up at 5 am for Big Meat (TM)

I've only attempted one Brisket, and it came out dry. I'm pretty sure my mistake was trimming too much of the surface fat before cooking. Brisket ain't cheap around here so I'm not as quick to try again.

Pork butt is retard level easy, not too pricey, and fucking delicious. So I do a lot of that.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Pork butt is retard level easy, not too pricey, and fucking delicious. So I do a lot of that.

It cost me $33 for a 7lb brisket flat from Packer Cut Brisket Regular supermarkets only sell small pieces of what I assume is the flat.

You can't buy "boston butts" here either in regular supermarkets, only pork shoulder without the bone. I've done two butts so far, first one wasn't pulled and had to be sliced lol, second one a bit better but not great

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So my brisket cook was eventful. Loaded the kamado with too much coal which meant the heat deflectors didn't sit straight, only noticed when I put the brisket on, so had to take everything out the Kamado to remove some coal and one half of the ceramic heat deflectors dropped and broke into 3 pieces. I started the cook with a metal roasting tray covering that side of the flames, then went to the shop as soon as it opened to get some superglue. Glued the deflector back together and wrapped it in foil, fortunately it held up during the cook but no idea how much chemicals leaked into the meat, LOL.

IMG_20170226_205659.jpg

IMG_20170226_210536_250.jpg

Took 12 hours in total, the brisket passed the fold test and the pull test, so I guess it was cooked ok. Definitely turned out better than my pulled pork attempts.

Only thing is, was it worth 12 hours and £26 - it wasn't that spectacular. I realise it takes practice and I was conservative with my salt and pepper rub, it just seemed to lack significant flavour

Next time I will trim more fat as I left a fat cap underneath and too much fat on top, I will use more of a different rub, I will start the cook overnight.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Picked up some picanha steaks, a brasilian cut of "rump cap" that is usually cooked on skewers and rotated over a fire pit. Brazilian rodizio restaurants have become common here in the UK - lots of BBQ meats that are brought to your table for you to take a few slices. This was the closest I could get to imitating that.

Turned out pretty nice, a little rare in places as I was scared of overcooking.

I have a 7lb brisket flat which is going on the kamado joe tomorrow, first time cooking brisket

View attachment 123172

View attachment 123173
I may or may not have just licked my screen.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user