Gravy's Cooking Thread

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
From the steak, I certainly hope not.

160F and enough time(not sure how much) is indeed enough to kill anything. Just don't compare that to eating a steak cooked to 125. There's a lot of protection from being a contiguous piece of meat. A lot of pathogens that wouldn't be killed at 125 can't penetrate muscle fiber, so they're surface-only and are killed by the searing and outer cooking temperatures.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If we're talking jerky made from whole cuts rather than ground meat, isn't it essentially the same thing?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From the steak, I certainly hope not.

160F and enough time(not sure how much) is indeed enough to kill anything. Just don't compare that to eating a steak cooked to 125. There's a lot of protection from being a contiguous piece of meat. A lot of pathogens that wouldn't be killed at 125 can't penetrate muscle fiber, so they're surface-only and are killed by the searing and outer cooking temperatures.

Yeah I understand that, and thus why steaks rare dont bother me. But when you take, say an eye of round roast, cut that shit up into strips,then marinade that shit for a day two in whatever you throw in there, thats when you should worry more about pathogens, right? You took that round roast and increased its surface area 100x fold. And even though the meat is still in the frige, marinading, im sure the pathogens are still dividing and increasing in numbers, albeit in a slower rate.

And if youre a slob, you can have pathogens enter in variety of ways, say a shitty dirty cutting board, dirty knife, old marinade, etc...

This is why I was asking about post drying homogenization. How do you guys do it?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
You'd eat carpaccio or tartare or whatever.And that's just straight raw with maybe a little acid thrown on it. This is raw, brined in high salt/acid solution for extended period, then dried, and cooked to 140-160 degrees while drying. And I think the drying is probably enough to be safe but I'm not an expert.

I read up a lot on jerky the past week or so. There are some things I wouldn't do. Chicken/poultry of any kind comes to mind. But that's more just because the idea of raw chicken just sounds gross to me, even if it is dried. I saw recommendations that any wild game be frozen for an extended period, 30+ days, to ensure any pathogens were killed before making jerky.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah I think the chicken and turkey jerky they basically still do the cold/hot smoke method to make it into jerky. And its not rally like beef jerky either, because its not thoroughly dried and they say to fridge that shit after opening it anyways.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Just got back from Peru and I was surprised at how veggie/vegan their diet is considering it's a Latin country and they love their meats. I had some amazing dishes and asked our cook how she made some of them. Just got back from the grocery store for some grand experiments. First up will be pumpkin-carrot quinoa pancakes. The measuring of ratios is going to be a lot of guess work so I'm sure I'll fail miserably at first. But dammit those were delicious and I need to figure out how to make them!

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
When you do that shit up in a dryer, do you sanitize it in a low oven after? Or do you just risk it? Ive always ben afraid of just drying and stick it in a 275F oven for a few min after it dries.
as long as you dry out the water and fat, bacteria got no place to live, that's why you'll notice that some more fatty pieces will glisten, this is you drying out the fat, keep those in longer.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
And even though the meat is still in the frige, marinading, im sure the pathogens are still dividing and increasing in numbers, albeit in a slower rate.

Only thing that is going to grow in the fridge is Listeria, so just make sure you don't drop it on the floor before you marinate it.

I saw recommendations that any wild game be frozen for an extended period, 30+ days, to ensure any pathogens were killed before making jerky.

You'll want to freeze wild game the same reason they freeze sushi grade fish - to kill parasites not pathogens. How low your freezing temperature is determines how long you'll need to freeze it.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Only thing that is going to grow in the fridge is Listeria, so just make sure you don't drop it on the floor before you marinate it.

You'll want to freeze wild game the same reason they freeze sushi grade fish - to kill parasites not pathogens. How low your freezing temperature is determines how long you'll need to freeze it.
also fridge thermometer

like 10bucks for a digital, or 6bucks for those basic analogue "dial" types

some people also use the trick of filling a class with water leaving it in there and leaving a regular meat thermometer. (but's its just easy to buy a dedicated cheap thermometer for it anyway)

i just put mine in the "butter" compartment, so i always glance at it when i open the fridge, it should be 32f to 40f to avoid bacteria.

i find it silly to have one for the freezer... but i had a 2 for 1 deal... so one goes there, ha.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Operation beef jerky worked out nicely. I made a ton of beef jerky and a bit of salmon jerky. Initially, I didn't like the salmon actually. But a night in the fridge and it seemed better. I put it in some grits crumbled up with some sausage, it partially rehydrated and they were amazing.

The beef jerky itself is amazing. Top tier jerky. I always have a place in my heart for those Duke's short sausage sticks but this is better than any strip style jerky I've ever had. Going to try a mre asian variety next time.

I also did some broccoli. I did it by blanching the broccoli, then seasoning wih salt, pepper, and garlic and then drying. It actually took longer than the jerky at 135, but it worked out amazing. I really love it just as a snack.

So up next I want to do some asian style jerky, some peppers, some more broccoli, and maybe another fish.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Operation beef jerky worked out nicely. I made a ton of beef jerky and a bit of salmon jerky. Initially, I didn't like the salmon actually. But a night in the fridge and it seemed better. I put it in some grits crumbled up with some sausage, it partially rehydrated and they were amazing.

The beef jerky itself is amazing. Top tier jerky. I always have a place in my heart for those Duke's short sausage sticks but this is better than any strip style jerky I've ever had. Going to try a mre asian variety next time.

I also did some broccoli. I did it by blanching the broccoli, then seasoning wih salt, pepper, and garlic and then drying. It actually took longer than the jerky at 135, but it worked out amazing. I really love it just as a snack.

So up next I want to do some asian style jerky, some peppers, some more broccoli, and maybe another fish.
i just ordered a jerky gun, gonna test that out

nesco jerky gun

i'm not in love with nesco, just the youtube reviews, the "country guys" loved this gun the best, big wide gun, threads didn't "gunk up" easy to clean, and they seemed to reviewed a lot, so if a big country guy says it's cool, i'll try it.

also got big packets of spice, gonna try that out too.

I'll make my own hamburger blend, just put it in the food processor really, unless others have advice with a gun and meat?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Let us know how the gun works out. I saw it, but just wasn't that interested. If it works out well it could be cool, though.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Got it a day early
N1MiKM4.jpg

came out pretty good, like store bought
eoXAkzR.jpg

the top one is bending all the way w/o cracking.

I love the wide ass tube, you could fit 3/4 lb of meat in there. I just bought 90/10 hamburger meat (to try a lazy way) and it worked great. It came w/ jerky cure, really just salt and sodium nitrate, i store my jerky in the fridge and it's all gone within a few days so, not like i'll need this really.

gun was easy to use, clean up was like less than a minute cuz it was really wide and no small parts.

will do again, i got 4 more packets left for 1lb each, gonna see some dry rub recipes now. I think this'll be my preferred jerky method now.

*edit
that first pic is what was left over, after you went all the way, it scrapes the sides pretty well. what you have left over is a hocky puck sized piece of meat.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
How does it compare quality and cost wise to using a whole cut? I guess cost-wise would be the same if you were doing your own grind.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well for me hamburger meat was on sale, so it's always ginna be cheaper. Ive alwats said, you get, 1/3 jerky from meat.
Here It was around 24ounces of meat, done it was 11ounces of jerky. Most slim jim types are like 8 to 14 bucks a pound.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I'm not a fan of ground beef jerky. It tastes good, but the texture is just not jerky. You need whole cuts sliced with the grain if you want it to have any texture.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I sliced mine at a diagonal, which seemed to work ok. But I think I overcooked the first batch I did, I way overestimated how much time it would take given how thin I was slicing it.

You guys will probably think I'm gross, but I really love the marinated/dehydrated fat pieces. So fucking good. But one of those things you only want a bite of, couldn't eat a bunch of that at once.