Gravy's Cooking Thread

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
It was nice and tender and flavorful even after 24 hours, it is just that I think it could have been more tender if I had done it for less time. Luckily I have another, why buy one when you can have two at twice the price.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Most london broil that you see in the grocery store is just an extra thick round steak.

fresh

<Gold Donor>
I just spent like 15 minutes trying to find some discussion about food that wasn't sous vide, it didn't go great. You guys are out of control.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Ummm no, with sous vide we are in precise control.
giphy.gif

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I just spent like 15 minutes trying to find some discussion about food that wasn't sous vide, it didn't go great. You guys are out of control.
I'm firmly in the minority, anti-sous vide camp. Lets talk about how awesome it is cooking food in mere minutes, rather than hours/days.

We bought 1/4 of a butchered cow like 7-8 months ago. We're finally down to the dregs of the beef cuts, and I don't know what to do with them. Have a couple round steaks, and some beef liver left. Anyone have a decent suggestion on what to do with those? I like fried chicken livers, but I'm not sure I've ever even tried beef liver.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
I'm firmly in the minority, anti-sous vide camp. Lets talk about how awesome it is cooking food in mere minutes, rather than hours/days.

We bought 1/4 of a butchered cow like 7-8 months ago. We're finally down to the dregs of the beef cuts, and I don't know what to do with them. Have a couple round steaks, and some beef liver left. Anyone have a decent suggestion on what to do with those? I like fried chicken livers, but I'm not sure I've ever even tried beef liver.
Have you considered vacuum sealing them and submerging them in regulated hot water?

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
With the round steaks you can do a simple pan fry method. Make sure you get the steak to room temperature before you start cooking it, and make sure your pan is hot as fuck before you oil it and put the steak it. Also make sure to pat the steak dry before you season it. Look for Gordon Ramsay's how to cook a perfect steak video on youtube, and do that. It'll work fine for round steak, too. Don't over cook it!

And try this with the liver. Quite nice.

Calves Liver with Caramelised Onions

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Anyone who has made fish with sous vide would be a true believer. There's no easier way to get perfect fish every f'ing time. I like doing beef in the sous vide(though some cuts, like skirt, I just do on the grill), but I feel like fish is where it really shines.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Idk, I like my salmon grilled or pan seared better. I like it underdone but with a bangin crust, just like my women. Doing "perfect" fish in the sous vide is super easy but not as tasty to me.

So this happened to my pan. I have only ever followed lodge's cleaning directions, scrubbing it out with hot water after use and drying then wiping with oil. The patina or whatever it is called just came off in the middle. Not sure if I should reseason or just roll with it.

rrr_img_105664.jpg

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I don't think I've ever seen a pan do that in one spot. Are you electric or gas stove?

The only thing I can think of it being is the middle coil of an electric getting hotter than the outside and causing that.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Man I don't even use water when I clean mine. Just wipe it out after cooking with some paper towels then do one last rub down with a barely damp cloth (alright so a tiny bit of water). If anything is stuck on I use a nylon brush. Am I doing it wrong?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I just do what Lodge says to do, idk. I don't think it is a burner issue. I have electric, so I guess it could be.

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
I always heat it back up after washing and wiping with fresh oil.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, electric here, too. I really wish we had a gas stove/burners.

Anyway, I'd think you'd be able to re-season it.