HDTVs

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
So, my partner got the LG 55OLEDB5P model and I don't understand why companies don't just use the stand that this thing uses. It's small and simple.

Definitely different coming from Samsung. I don't like the LG remote at all. The blacks are very intense (crushed?). Trying to find good calibration settings for this thing.

Are there any HDMI switches that actually support 4K and up-to-date compliant?

edit: I miss the thing from Samsung -- the One Connect. Easier to hide cables with that thing compared to the LG. lol.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
If you're looking for a soundbar, I'd recommend Sonos. They're pricey, but it's the first and last sound bar you'll ever need, the quality is amazing, and it can be expanded into a full blown sound system. I went through two cheaper sound bars and they both had issues-- either with voice sync, connectivity, or control.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Are there any HDMI switches that actually support 4K and up-to-date compliant?

edit: I miss the thing from Samsung -- the One Connect. Easier to hide cables with that thing compared to the LG. lol.

Just make sure the switch is HDMI 2.0 and HDCP 2.2 (I think is the needed version). That should support 4k and HDR and 10 bit color.

My X1 cable box input isn't letting me pick movie mode in picture settings, only standard and dynamic. No idea what happened over night. Was working fine the other day and I haven't changed anything.

Siliconemelons

I put the laser on it and while it's not as fucked up as it looks in the photo it is about 1/4" high in the middle and now i can't unsee it. I suspect a crowned joist underneath.

LOL I just assumed it was some kinda fisheye-ness picture hehe

a_skeleton_00

<Banned>
OK so I have the 65 inch ks8000.

Best TV I've ever had in my life.

I keep reading HDR+ mode is fake blah blah, however with it in during either my pspro or while watching television I'd argue it almost looks better sometimes?

Is there anyone who has this TV that can list their exact settings recently and why they have them that way, maybe one for TV and movies and one for PS pro?

Any information is greatly appreciated as always thanks everyone!

spronk

FPS noob
i got my parents the exact same tv, it arrived yesterday via EPP no damage no problems took around 18 days from order time. only bummer is that sling TV is not supported and I was hoping to try that out, would have to attach a roku/fireTV/etc

I have this thread bookmarked which is the official AVS ks8000 thread, 600 pages of people talking. i was gonna look at it over the weekend to find good settings, for now i just have left it at defaults
Official Samsung KS8000/KS8500 Owners Thread - Page 559 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

The RTings website has a settings recommendation for ks8000 too, haven't looked at that yet either
Samsung KS8000 LED TV Calibration Settings

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Between my KS8000 and parents KS9000 we set up over Thanksgiving we used the RTings website. But really that is a bunch of more or less "default" ish things. Without using actual calibration equipment I wasn't going to perform any of the 10-point adjustments. So things like "Movie Mode" and "Warm 2" are about as advanced as I got. Don't use HDR+ on either. Using the built-in apps it seems like the TV will notify you when it is using HDR on Amazon but will not when using Netflix. Not sure if there is a TV app update or Netflix app update to fix that (and haven't really read the thread to follow it since shortly after Turkey day). We don't have PS4 Pro to test from though.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The KS8000 will display a notification banner at the top saying an HDR video is playing when it is detected. For the PS4 Pro this happens after the initial load of the game such as when the FFXV title screen comes up. For HDR I turned on Game mode and HDMI UHD Color for my source, Backlight to 20, Dynamic Contrast to Off, Smart LED to High, (some advise maxing Contrast as well). Some guides said the HDR for gaming was bugged and wouldn't auto-up the Backlight so that's why you do it manually, but other apps should detect it and handle properly.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So Samsung now requires you to opt in to targeted advertising on your TV in order to use the smart TV functions. I'm amazed at how fucking stupid companies can be, and I can't wait to join the class action lawsuit

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So what's the best bang for your buck these days for TVs? I'm talking sub $500 price tag 1080p. It'd be used for gaming, so maybe sub-$500 and gaming don't mix, but I'm tossing around the idea of ditching my old computer monitors, and instead of upgrading those, just get a TV. 144hz 1080p G-sync 24-27 inch monitors are $300-500, so was curious if i could get a TV in the same price range that would suffice?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So Samsung now requires you to opt in to targeted advertising on your TV in order to use the smart TV functions. I'm amazed at how fucking stupid companies can be, and I can't wait to join the class action lawsuit

Stupid and short sighted on Samsung's part, sure. Honestly though, do most people use the built-in smart TV functions? They tend to be inferior, non customizable, and slow compared to a million different options. I will continue using my Intel NUC as a HTPC with Kodi / Netflix and it works 1000x better. Samsung should just sell me what is essentially a monitor. Everything else besides the display can be gutted and bring down the costs. Of course they won't do that though. Got to tack on all kinds of garbage to gouge prices.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
From various posts it sounds like there's two things going on with Samsung. The first is the ads can be opted out, but the second is the most recent firmware has some bugs and can screw up apps or button recognition. Really bad timing since people are interpreting the problems as "I opted out, so they disabled my apps"

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
From various posts it sounds like there's two things going on with Samsung. The first is the ads can be opted out, but the second is the most recent firmware has some bugs and can screw up apps or button recognition. Really bad timing since people are interpreting the problems as "I opted out, so they disabled my apps"
I don't buy it's a bug. I had the message pop up and it asked to opt in or out of ads. I clicked opt out and then said that network features would be disabled unless I opted in, and gave me directions how I could opt in.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Stupid and short sighted on Samsung's part, sure. Honestly though, do most people use the built-in smart TV functions? They tend to be inferior, non customizable, and slow compared to a million different options. I will continue using my Intel NUC as a HTPC with Kodi / Netflix and it works 1000x better. Samsung should just sell me what is essentially a monitor. Everything else besides the display can be gutted and bring down the costs. Of course they won't do that though. Got to tack on all kinds of garbage to gouge prices.
The built in apps work great actually, at least for Netflix. Super fast, no studdering or anything. Easier to do that than use the PS4/xbone

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Yeah, we use their apps instead of turning on a console. Before we cut the cord our Xbox One turned on and controlled everything via Kinect, now thanks to ARC the TV is the bossy one and the console is off.

Netflix, Amazon and Youtube all work very well.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
My TV works great for Netflix & Amazon Prime. I haven't tried youtube, but I wouldn't like it using the remote's keyboard.