Health Care Thread

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Old and busted the conservative answer, how about single payer and scale isnt a valid answer until you can explain why scale prevents the US from implementing it.
And don't forget to keep in mind that in many countries with "single payer" healthcare systems, that the healthcare system itself is often run on a state/provincial level, which makes the "scale" argument completely irrelevant. Canada does not have a national health care system, despite what you may have read elsewhere. Every province does it's own thing. All the Feds do is provide some of the funding, and set the overall requirements. So wee little PEI with a population of 140k has it's own healthcare system, as does Ontario, population 13m.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Fucking autocorrect.

@Kruegan. Obamacare is worse than what it replaced. So yeah bring back the old and busted. Better than the new and totally fucked.
No, it isn't. It isn't good, but it definitely isn't worse than what we had before.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
it was never going to work. Obamacare relies on healthy poorer young people subsidizing the health care of unhealthy richer old people. Unless you are a baby boomer you should be outraged.
Isn't this the EXACT model that insurance companies work under?

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
And don't forget to keep in mind that in many countries with "single payer" healthcare systems, that the healthcare system itself is often run on a state/provincial level, which makes the "scale" argument completely irrelevant. Canada does not have a national health care system, despite what you may have read elsewhere. Every province does it's own thing. All the Feds do is provide some of the funding, and set the overall requirements. So wee little PEI with a population of 140k has it's own healthcare system, as does Ontario, population 13m.
But the scales are so vastly different, no way it could work.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
For today I'll go with you can't make doctors with 3d printers and you can't come up with new drugs with magic wishes.
An artificial restriction imposed by the ADA to protect their profits.

The ADA is the biggest barrier to fixing health care costs in our country. Look at how many times various governments have tried to enact reform only to be cock blocked by ADA lobbyists.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For today I'll go with you can't make doctors with 3d printers and you can't come up with new drugs with magic wishes.
We're still one of the highest doctors per capita - in fact far outstripping those smaller nations in doctors per capita.... So uhm... yea?

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
it was never going to work. Obamacare relies on healthy poorer young people subsidizing the health care of unhealthy richer old people. Unless you are a baby boomer you should be outraged.
Wow, you described how insurance has worked since it was invented in a cave 4 million years ago.

Just admit it. You say all this shit because you can't allow for the possibility that Obama might do anything good, even on accident.

Fuck I didn't want the guy either. I still don't like him. But this is still an improvement over what we had.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Isn't this the EXACT model that insurance companies work under?
No. That's why insurance was cheaper for healthy people before they were forced onto Obamacare. That's why the employer mandate was illegally extended. Because democrats didn't want 40 million healthy people to realize they have been conned before midterms. Did you not read anything about Obamacare in the last 6 years?

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Wow, you described how insurance has worked since it was invented in a cave 4 million years ago.

Just admit it. You say all this shit because you can't allow for the possibility that Obama might do anything good, even on accident.

Fuck I didn't want the guy either. I still don't like him. But this is still an improvement over what we had.
No it isn't. And repeating it doesn't make it so.

Vaclav

No. That's why insurance was cheaper for healthy people before they were forced onto Obamacare. That's why the employer mandate was illegally extended. Because democrats didn't want 40 million healthy people to realize they have been conned before midterms. Did you not read anything about Obamacare in the last 6 years?
No, they weren't substantially cheaper before for IDENTICAL plans - the young often got crap plans that literally covered almost nothing before. Apples to apples the difference in cost for the young in most states is around 10-15% more than they paid before.

Did you not read anything outside of TheBlaze and Drudge in the last 6 years or own an insurance policy of your own ever?

Vaclav

"Illegally extended?"

Please cite where no flexibility is allowed with start dates for bills. Also note there's at least a half dozen cases for the last administration I know off my head - likely many more that I don't know off my head - that were delayed from the bill's printed date.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
We can't have single payer because we cant make doctors with 3d printers and new drugs with magic wishes, well guess what that doesn't answer the fucking scaling issue at all, not even with your magic wishes.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Still waiting fuck stick, explain why scaling prevents the US from implementing single payer with an explanation that actually has to do with scaling. Something tells me the only scale you know anything about is the one in your bathroom that says 450 when you step on it.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
why is scaling an issue though unless you want federally mandated health care instead of state mandated health care.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
why is scaling an issue though unless you want federally mandated health care instead of state mandated health care.
Who the fuck knows, all we know is both Merlin and Tad claim we can't have single payer because of scaling and the only reason we have been given is not enough doctors with 3d printers and new medicine and magic wishes won't make them appear. We have more doctors per capita than other countries with single payer so that is out, all we are left with is a lack of 3d printers and new medicine yet without these things countries with single payer keep on trucking along fine.

Vaclav

Your Down Syndrome is acting up Jobe - scaling likely isn't an issue and it can be mitigated by that if it existed - the argument doesn't work in reverse unless you're trying to claim healthcare can never work period. (Which is even more Downsy)

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
Your Down Syndrome is acting up Jobe - scaling likely isn't an issue and it can be mitigated by that if it existed - the argument doesn't work in reverse unless you're trying to claim healthcare can never work period. (Which is even more Downsy)
what?