Health Care Thread

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
All those "30 year old" piece of shit that the US has are well-maintained, with updated electronics and well-trained personnel. The russian military and its decaying hunks of shit are actually rusting away because they aren't being maintained. Clueless or troll, not sure which.

edit: Oh ffs, must be trolling, already RRPed? wtf
i thought Russian aircrafts were state of art, with price tag included...best value on the market atm, or I heard.

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
The exemption is mostly for people in redneck states that rejected medicare extension and are too poor to get a subsidy.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
I almost qualify for one of the standard exemptions, that being the cheapest insurance I could get being almost 8% of my income. I might qualify under the hardship exemption for medical expenses in the last 24 months though. Worth a shot.

I fall in to the area where I can't afford the insurance my employer offers, but I make too much money to qualify for subsidies even in a state that took the medicare expansion (NY). My employer offers a gold plan with some extra benefits, yet when I entered the info in to NY's exchange, their solution was to offer me a bronze plan at twice what my employer's plan would cost me.

I was hoping I'd be able to afford insurance next year if my employer's plan doesn't increase much, but that may not be possible given some of the expenses I know I'm going to have this year. The penalty I'd have to pay for year 2 would just make it that much harder to afford. Damn this half assed system.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
You're comparing apples to oranges - price you're seeing your employers package for is after their contribution, it's not 1:1 remotely (with the 2x more for gold vs. bronze - likely covering around 75% - generous, sounds like my employer that was based out of upstate NY).

And why if you had so many medical expenses the last two years would you want to go without insurance though? That's the point of the exemption to not pay a tax penalty on not getting insurance.... seems suicidal to say the least when you just had 24 months of large medical bills to assume you're not going to get a recurrence of something or flare-up or whatever. Medical shit tends to recur.

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
I pay 387 a month for a silver plan from emblem here in NY. Its really not that bad.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
ACA posted numbers are a joke. Under a certain threshold, they defer to states. If you 'loosely' qualify for updated medicare qualification guidelines (arguably the lowest income brackets who couldn't get insurance will likely be the largest users), you get dumped to the state you reside in.

I've seen letters from AZ where they say 'sorry we have no idea how to figure this out, bear with us'. Clearly no one was ready for this debacle.

Vaclav

Ever notice so much misinformation comes from people that don't know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
You're comparing apples to oranges - price you're seeing your employers package for is after their contribution, it's not 1:1 remotely (with the 2x more for gold vs. bronze - likely covering around 75% - generous, sounds like my employer that was based out of upstate NY).

And why if you had so many medical expenses the last two years would you want to go without insurance though? That's the point of the exemption to not pay a tax penalty on not getting insurance.... seems suicidal to say the least when you just had 24 months of large medical bills to assume you're not going to get a recurrence of something or flare-up or whatever. Medical shit tends to recur.
I've talked to my employer about it and he does cover 75% of the premium. It was just annoying to see that after entering all my information, including how much my employer's insurance would cost me, that the alternative was to pay double for worse coverage or go without.

As far as my medical expenses, it was one expense that I incurred 2 years ago, having an appendectomy. Other than that and 2 work related injuries, I haven't had any medical issues for the last 15 years.

Vaclav

Doesn't happen to be Wegman's out of Rochester does it out of curiosity? Reason I ask is there is actually some extra money lying around in the scholarship fund for the company that I was allowed to slush to people to cover medical hardship when it went unused for my regions by Robert Wegman when he was still alive (well, it was via email, could've been Danny answering in his name) - and I'd presume Danny would keep similar going.

Just in the off chance you happen to be with Wegman's since some stuff does align with the possibility, could be the most succinct way of solving your issue.

I'm used to having an appendectomy coming with long term care - but then again, I've got a bowel malrotation that was dealt with at the same time - so it might be more about the malrotation (wanted to abbreviate it to two letters, but BM sounds wrong in context, heh) that the followups are covering and he just follows up regarding the appendix stuff since it's all from the same surgery. And of course depending on the work injury details, many sorts can recur. [pulls/strains/falls are all notorious for it - I'd say 1 in 3 that went to worker's comp ended up being something that recurred to some degree - often minor - but they were frequently back - and a recurrence under the laws I'm familiar with (including NY circa early 90's) doesn't get worker's comp coverage FYI]

Disp_sl

shitlord
ACA posted numbers are a joke. Under a certain threshold, they defer to states. If you 'loosely' qualify for updated medicare qualification guidelines (arguably the lowest income brackets who couldn't get insurance will likely be the largest users), you get dumped to the state you reside in.

I've seen letters from AZ where they say 'sorry we have no idea how to figure this out, bear with us'. Clearly no one was ready for this debacle.
All the health plans and medi-cal are state plans. Nothing is federal.

Silence_sl

shitlord
So Russia's military is a "decaying hunk of shit" but America flying 60 year old bombers, 40 year old fighter jets, driving 30 year old tanks and sailing around on 40 year old carriers is the best military in the world?
Having old hardware just means they were designed well from the start. Even Russia's new hardware is junk. I was there the first time MIGs landed as guests on American soil (EAFB), and a third of them wouldn't start the next morning. That, and they leaked like sieves the entire time. And these were NEW. The only reason why Ruskies don't roll with old hardware is because their shit is garbage after a year if they aren't garbage from the start.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Nope, I'm not with Wegman's. I work for a small business in Saratoga and i believe the insurance is CDPHP. Last I knew, we work with one of our bigger clients to get a better deal on it.

The appendectomy had no complications and I just managed to finish paying it off in March, so I may no longer qualify for the hardship exemption. It's says it's for medical bills you couldn't pay and I managed to pay it. It just took me 2 years and I had to make some cut backs in my spending to do that.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
All the health plans and medi-cal are state plans. Nothing is federal.
Correct, point being plenty of states weren't ready so the brilliant 'success' was really just a 'YAY we referred millions of people to states who sent letters saying they had no clue what the hell to do!'.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Ever notice so much misinformation comes from people that don't know the difference between Medicare and Medicaid?
You caught me, I have no clue which program applies to whom under what circumstances specifically. I have to pay for my insurance and healthcare, I have enough to worry about learning medical billing in my spare time afterevery singleEOB because either the hospital billing staff or the insurance company screw something up. In fact, two days ago I had to call because the insurance company said a preventative care visit was applied as a deductible expense. I had to spend an hour on the phone between the hospital and the insurance company to finally get reps which understood one of the simplest 'changes' ACA brought about that has been in effect for some time in order to get the bill paid by insurance.

Ever tried to ask a doctor how much a test costs? No one knows. When you ask why it is medically necessary, most of them actually think and go into the specifics and agree half of the tests aren't necessary. I've saved THOUSANDS in lab costs because I ask questions like 'Well, if the drug has no known side effect that causes a higher lipid count, why would you need to run the lipid panel since one was done 3 months ago with my last physical?' Doctors are programmed to order comprehensive everything because they don't pay for any of it. And again, no one knows how much any of it costs until the bill comes in. I've even had covered bills refunded because the doctor tacked on other tests from a blood draw. When I called the billing department after faxing over the original lab request sheet in my hand, I told them it was a service that was rendered without my authorization and I wanted them to refund the insurance company. You can imagine the shitstorm I caused for weeks trying to get THAT through. But fuck it, I was on a mission.

The entire system is a scam, there is NO transparency. if you are someone who is not detail oriented and a good researcher with good memory, youwillget fucked 100% of the time by healthcare costs, insurance or no.

Vaclav

And? That's all reasons to firebomb the system into single payer.

PS If you're implying Medicare is free, 20 yrs of FICA plus $108/mo doesn't feel free to me. (and rx coverage is still separate for Medicare)

Palum

what Suineg set it to
And? That's all reasons to firebomb the system into single payer.

PS If you're implying Medicare is free, 20 yrs of FICA plus $108/mo doesn't feel free to me. (and rx coverage is still separate for Medicare)
If you're not 50+ already and you think you will ever see a dime of SSI or Medicare, you are in for quite an M Night Shamylamyalmanyalnian twist. It's only 'free' in the sense that Congress squandered the real funding for the currently enrolled seniors, we pay directly into their expenses by working now.

Vaclav

If you're not 50+ already and you think you will ever see a dime of SSI or Medicare, you are in for quite an M Night Shamylamyalmanyalnian twist. It's only 'free' in the sense that Congress squandered the real funding for the currently enrolled seniors, we pay directly into their expenses by working now.
That's the Presidency that was (past tense - only recently changed by executive order by the current President to disallow) allowed to spend the reserve fund on discretionary spending - and that was technically decades of prepayment. And it's a speed bump that exists til 2025-30 once we get over the speed bump that the size of the baby boomer generation entails. [Additionally note, you mentioned two avenues - it was only allowed for SS spending exclusively - only way it could've seen Medicare's hands was via premium expenses from recipients - very roundabout]

Or more in short, people that aren't stupid know it's going to survive in some form, either existing bandaided to get over the speed bump or adjusted into something more expansive of a single payer (and note, MOST SP systems in the world planned themselves after Medicare - more than a few even use the name Medicare) - it's twits that listen and believe right-wing hyperbole without even looking into stuff on their own that believe that both are going to implode.

Additionally, do you think Medicare is going to fail by 2019? Because you can actually get Medicare as early as 55 if you've got flagging health but not to disability criteria.

Even during the worst year for the projections of those years (2022 I think is the top of the crest with the longer estimate) they need to be helped along for about 20% of their funding for SS (Which 10% is the norm because of disability and other "welfare" parts of the program - again you screwed up your terms - SSI is never "paid for" by the recipient, and actually comes out of welfare funding to make sure they hit $708 a month currently if they don't have a full work record for it - SSI is SOCIAL SECURITY INSURANCE/SUPPLEMENTAL SECURITY INCOME. The SSA gives the payments, SSDI is for disability income that's been earned by the recipient (or their parent in the case of disabled children and other odd cases). The term from their book that you want, and brace yourself it's a doozy, is just SS.).

Or to put it in budgetary terms - about as much as Afghanistan and Iraq were costing us combined - for about the same time that it's looking like they'll be before they'll be completely closed in additional funding and then we're over the speed bump without additional adjustment.

And that's for the worst of the two you mentioned - Medicare barely runs into the general budget at all - and is projected to actually start generating a small profit in the CBO projections of the ACA. Medicaid costs are stagnating mostly under the projections however. (Note: Medicare's "profit" is generated in it not as much because of Medicare itself - only a slight savings occurs there - but excess revenue from other parts of the bill prioritize Medicare)

Or there's of course the options of additional adjustments, which can actually fix it before then with more actual adjustment of things (that Democrats have been trying to push many of them, but have been blockaded on passing any - by people that claim to love seniors in their next breaths) - AARP has done a number of flash games to demonstrate how trivial the fixes really are - can't find my favorite ATM - but this one works too:Do-It-Yourself Social Security Fix, Options Help Close Gap - AARP Bulletin

Less Glenn Beck, more reality makes a nicer place (and a more accurate one). So much wrong in so few words.

PS - Two more incorrect statements while making over the top attempts to sound informed, while completely butchering simple things like the proper names for things that are DRASTICALLY DIFFERENT FROM EACH OTHER - its quite shocking.

PPS - Start out being cogent and coherent, then try to debate - it creates a giant strawman doing the ridiculous caricatures that the extreme right-wing does these days. [Including the incoming "I'm actually a libertarian, screw Republicans" statement to come soon, I'm sure]

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
"I have to pay for my insurance and healthcare"

He obviously don't know shit about shit because he's busy working instead of freeloading! Proud repub earning 40k/yr and wishing the bottom 50% would get off their asses and do something.