Health Care Thread

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
obama foot in mouth

OBAMA: "I was not informed directly that the website would not be working, as the way it was supposed to," Obama told reporters on November 14. "Had I been informed I wouldn't be going out saying, 'boy, this is going to be great.'"

"You know, I'm accused of a lot of things but I don't think I'm stupid enough to go around saying this is going to be like shopping on Amazon or Travelocity a week before the website opens if I thought that it wasn't going to work," the president continued.
~
A report which surfaced in the Washington Post as a result of the work done by congressional investigators shows officials with the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services and Department of Health and Human Services, including Sec. Kathleen Sebelius, were informed of the scale of the problems plaguing the website's construction as early as April
executive branch warned as early as april about website problems

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
I thought the whole point of the Affordable Care Act was to make it affordable, why is this lady who was applauded by Obama now all of a sudden not worthy of empathy? She got misled by the state websites (shocker) and she's still back at square one...thanks Obamacare?
I mean sure, it sucks that she can't afford it... but if she makes enough to get no subsidy, she CAN afford it. She's choosing not to.

This is why I can't stand discussing politics with anybody. If you're a self-identified "republican", then either Obama is spending too much money and intruding on my personal freedoms (giving subsidies and making coverage minimums mandatory) or he's failing to do so (not giving ENOUGH subsidies, care still not affordable, etc). No matter what he does he'll be wrong. So who cares? And the self-identified democrats aren't any better, they'd attack republican policies the same way. There's almost no use discussing shit anymore. There's no real discussion.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
I mean sure, it sucks that she can't afford it... but if she makes enough to get no subsidy, she CAN afford it. She's choosing not to.
you have no idea what her bills are, middle class people get screwed the most usually with ability to pay bills while getting no assistance.

Cad

scientia potentia est
<Bronze Donator>
you have no idea what her bills are, middle class people get screwed the most usually with ability to pay bills while getting no assistance.
Honestly the health problems kinda sound like bullshit anyway. $500/mo ADHD medication? Give me a break.

Not that $48k a year is high rolling or anything, because its not, but come on. Thats enough money that you can juggle your priorities and make ends meet.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Last time I was a contractor, back in like 2005, I had to pay for my entire healthcare premium. It cost me $700 per month for me and my family. and this was not some premium policy either. Thats like a mortgage payment for a small house. I would hate to see what the premium would be today.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Dude, ADHD meds are fucking expensive as shit. Especially when there's shortages and especially if you are buying from a greedy pharmacist like Wal Greens, and/or you have no insurance.

I have had ADHD my whole life, but rarely taken meds for it. When I went back to school I gave it a try. Some months you'd pay 80 bucks for a script, others 300 and you were happy to pay the 300 or more because there wasn't enough of the meds to go around which meant if you didn't pay the 300 plus, you went without.

I just quit taking the shit after about 6 months of dealing with that crap. Smoking pot to control my symptoms is cheaper than the legal meds. Straight up facts.

Hell a months' worth of methamphetamine is probably cheaper than the methylated salts they use to formulate ritalin and other ADHD meds now.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>

This is why I can't stand discussing politics with anybody. If you're a self-identified "republican", then either Obama is spending too much money and intruding on my personal freedoms (giving subsidies and making coverage minimums mandatory) or he's failing to do so (not giving ENOUGH subsidies, care still not affordable, etc). No matter what he does he'll be wrong. So who cares? And the self-identified democrats aren't any better, they'd attack republican policies the same way. There's almost no use discussing shit anymore. There's no real discussion.
I agree with you, I think no matter what Obama does regarding healthcare it will be wrong. But that's because I don't really feel that government has any place in healthcare in the first place. I don't think government bureaucracy is capable of running the simplest of things let alone a system as complex as healthcare but that may be a paradigm shift from those that believe in a more centralized government.

That being said, I think this woman, that Obama trotted out as a success story, was exactly the type of person his political campaign was geared at, and she was lied to. The message for almost 5 years was that ACA would lower premiums by $2500, and as I pointed out, AFFORDABLE is in the name of the law LOL! I just find it funny how now that the law is actually enacted all of the empathy dries up and it's her choice not to get health insurance...oh and BTW...it's going to be even better when she has to pay a fine (tax) for the health insurance she can't afford to buy.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
I find it funny that Americans now think that we are lesser than other countries, we can't have government ran health care because government isn't smart enough to handle it. Guess where the people in government come from, I'll give you a hint, it's not other countries.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I find it funny that Americans now think that we are lesser than other countries, we can't have government ran health care because government isn't smart enough to handle it. Guess where the people in government come from, I'll give you a hint, it's not other countries.
In another life I sold paper to the city, county and state government, yes I was pretty much Jim from The Office. It was a nightmare dealing with government procurement. Nepotism and laziness were pretty much par for the course. This was for paper. For what it's worth I don't have much love for corporate bureaucracies either?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
In another life I sold paper to the city, county and state government, yes I was pretty much Jim from The Office. It was a nightmare dealing with government procurement. Nepotism and laziness were pretty much par for the course. This was for paper. For what it's worth I don't have much love for corporate bureaucracies either?
If other first world countries can manage single payer, I am more than positive that we can as well. By making the argument that we as a country aren't capable of government run health care is directly implying that we as a country aren't smart enough, which is a fucking stupid ass statement. We can easily have government ran health care, we just need all the stupid people to stfu and get out of the way.

Disp_sl

shitlord
Dude, ADHD meds are fucking expensive as shit. Especially when there's shortages and especially if you are buying from a greedy pharmacist like Wal Greens, and/or you have no insurance.

I have had ADHD my whole life, but rarely taken meds for it. When I went back to school I gave it a try. Some months you'd pay 80 bucks for a script, others 300 and you were happy to pay the 300 or more because there wasn't enough of the meds to go around which meant if you didn't pay the 300 plus, you went without.

I just quit taking the shit after about 6 months of dealing with that crap. Smoking pot to control my symptoms is cheaper than the legal meds. Straight up facts.

Hell a months' worth of methamphetamine is probably cheaper than the methylated salts they use to formulate ritalin and other ADHD meds now.
It sucks that she ran into so many problems, but her story doesn't add up very well. I plugged a household income of $48,000 with her and her kid into a California plan and here's what I get:

She can get a silver plan for both her and her kid with a $250 Brand name drug deductible for $380/mo, with over $300/mo. in subsidy. The government will pay almost half of her health insurance cost, and her annual deductible for brand name drugs is the same as she supposedly spends in just 1 month out of pocket.

As a freelance court reporter she's probably 1099'd too, so she can write off her health insurance costs on her taxes as well. That story is just riddled with so much bullshit to push an agenda that it hurts.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
If other first world countries can manage single payer, I am more than positive that we can as well. By making the argument that we as a country aren't capable of government run health care is directly implying that we as a country aren't smart enough, which is a fucking stupid ass statement. We can easily have government ran health care, we just need all the stupid people to stfu and get out of the way.
Calm down. I didn't insult you, please don't insult me. If you really believe that the government is a haven of efficiency and that the best and brightest are government employees, then that is your prerogative. I just don't agree. Maybe I should rethink my stance considering how well the ACA rollout has been...

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
It sucks that she ran into so many problems, but her story doesn't add up very well. I plugged a household income of $48,000 with her and her kid into a California plan and here's what I get:

She can get a silver plan for both her and her kid with a $250 Brand name drug deductible for $380/mo, with over $300/mo. in subsidy. The government will pay almost half of her health insurance cost, and her annual deductible for brand name drugs is the same as she supposedly spends in just 1 month out of pocket.
I'm not 100% on this so please don't misunderstand as I'm not making this as a statement of fact, but the way I understand it is that the websites are giving back erroneous information regarding your subsidies/cost which is exactly what happened to this woman. But once the application actually goes through and the policy is underwritten, the true costs have been much higher than the "quoted" costs. Not saying her story is legit but it could explain your findings.

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
Calm down. I didn't insult you, please don't insult me. If you really believe that the government is a haven of efficiency and that the best and brightest are government employees, then that is your prerogative. I just don't agree. Maybe I should rethink my stance considering how well the ACA rollout has been...
No one is upset, you made a stupid fucking comment and I pointed it out. Not once did I claim anything about efficiency ever or that people in government are the best and brightest. I simply said that if you think we are incapable of government ran health care when multiple other countries are more than capable of doing so you are implying that we are not smart enough to be able to do so, which is a completely retarded opinion.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
No one is upset, you made a stupid fucking comment and I pointed it out. Not once did I claim anything about efficiency ever or that people in government are the best and brightest. I simply said that if you think we are incapable of government ran health care when multiple other countries are more than capable of doing so you are implying that we are not smart enough to be able to do so, which is a completely retarded opinion.
So why is my comment stupid? Please tell me what gives you such confidence in our government? The very legislators that currently have a 9% approval rating would be writing the laws that would enact a single payer plan and it would be botched just as much as the ACA has. So instead of calling my comments stupid, please tell me what you are so confident about in regards to our government's ability to legislate?

Burnem Wizfyre

Log Wizard
So why is my comment stupid? Please tell me what gives you such confidence in our government? The very legislators that currently have a 9% approval rating would be writing the laws that would enact a single payer plan and it would be botched just as much as the ACA has. So instead of calling my comments stupid, please tell me what you are so confident about in regards to our government's ability to legislate?
You said we are incapable of government ran health care, as if this country is to fucking stupid to be able to copy another country.

Disp_sl

shitlord
I'm not 100% on this so please don't misunderstand as I'm not making this as a statement of fact, but the way I understand it is that the websites are giving back erroneous information regarding your subsidies/cost which is exactly what happened to this woman. But once the application actually goes through and the policy is underwritten, the true costs have been much higher than the "quoted" costs. Not saying her story is legit but it could explain your findings.
I get that, which is what happened when she thought she'd be paying $169/mo. or whatever. That part sucks, and the mistakes are really shitty. Beyond that when you plug the actual numbers in, the rest of the story is bullshit. A silver plan has a $250 brand name deductible, which is how much she claims to pay in just 1 month for drugs. The government will kick her back $3600/yr. in subsidies. She can deduct her health insurance costs on her taxes. She's in a different state, so the rates may be a little different, but the subsidies are based on federal poverty figures, not state figures.

So she's going to save $2,000/yr. in prescription drugs
She'll get a kickback of $3,600/yr. through subsidies
She'll get to deduct her $380/mo. health insurance costs, which saves her maybe another $1000 a year from taxes
And both her and her son will have healthcare

Her net monthly cost for healthcare is like $120.

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
You said we are incapable of government ran health care, as if this country is to fucking stupid to be able to copy another country.
I never said stupid. If you're going to quote me at least quote what I said and maybe try to answer a question instead of just calling my comments stupid.