Health Problems

trex

Queen Bee
Wow. Fucking in the shower. Don't even remember the last time that happened.

So serious issues hoping you docs/nurses can help with.

Idk if anyone remembers, but I have a fucked up middle toe on my left foot, hella fucked up. The muscle is basically too small and has caused it to become a "curly toe". It only causes serious pain if I do big workouts (let's be honest, I don't) but it still causes pain even after being on my feet all day and Tylenol/ibuprofen doesn't do shit. The worst part is the numbness/tingling. It's really uncomfortable. It's been a problem my whole life and they couldn't do surgery until my growth plate had fused, or whatever. Got an X-ray today and foots finally ready.

It's a long healing period and then a second surgery will be needed to fix second toe and shave bunion once original toe is healed. She already gave me a fat rx for pain meds since the surgery is still a while out and then there will be tons more pain meds during the long recovery. My question is this, how do you take them responsibly? I hear so many horror stories of people getting hooked on them (including Ravvenn of course) and addiction runs in my family on both sides.

(I'll post pics and X-rays if requested, it's really wild)

Woefully Inept

Karazhan Raider
I was hooked on Vicodin for two years. Needed it after surgery and then just kept taking it. It got to the point I was taking 6-8 pills per day. If I left the house without a couple in my pocket I would be in trouble.
Woke up one day and I just asked myself "Am I taking this for pain?". Nope.

I had a doctor visit that week and before I could say anything my doctor expressed his concern about how often I was calling in for refills. At that point we came up with a plan to get off them.

If you can't say yes after asking yourself that question then you need to have a talk with your doctor or someone you trust if you don't want to go straight to your doctor.
Easy peasy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jx3

Riddle me this...
First week of radiation and chemo done. Nothing too bad, i just get randomly tired but i assume its the medicine. I start teaching on Tuesday so it will be interesting how that will work.
Havent been eating, not really been hungry or even have intrest in food.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Wow. Fucking in the shower. Don't even remember the last time that happened.

So serious issues hoping you docs/nurses can help with.

Idk if anyone remembers, but I have a fucked up middle toe on my left foot, hella fucked up. The muscle is basically too small and has caused it to become a "curly toe". It only causes serious pain if I do big workouts (let's be honest, I don't) but it still causes pain even after being on my feet all day and Tylenol/ibuprofen doesn't do shit. The worst part is the numbness/tingling. It's really uncomfortable. It's been a problem my whole life and they couldn't do surgery until my growth plate had fused, or whatever. Got an X-ray today and foots finally ready.

It's a long healing period and then a second surgery will be needed to fix second toe and shave bunion once original toe is healed. She already gave me a fat rx for pain meds since the surgery is still a while out and then there will be tons more pain meds during the long recovery. My question is this, how do you take them responsibly? I hear so many horror stories of people getting hooked on them (including Ravvenn of course) and addiction runs in my family on both sides.

(I'll post pics and X-rays if requested, it's really wild)

If you keep asking yourself 'am I taking these responsibly?' you should be fine. If you're really worried, you could also evaluate your risk factors for addiction. I'm about as high risk as it gets (male, family history of addiction, poor bond with family members, ADHD, anxiety, depression) so I stay away from pretty much everything. Got some Vicodin after an appendectomy some years back, used em for a day and flushed the rest. Helps having an obnoxiously high pain tolerance. I'm also a total beer snob and I'm not nearly rich enough to turn into an alcoholic drinking Delirium Tremens. Weed? God damn, weed highs really were the greatest thing, but I think it's getting close to a decade since the last time I got blazed. I was always scared of having my own version of the rehab scene in Half Baked.

Just be careful you don't end up leaving Tyen to go turn tricks in Ohio for Vicodin money.

• 1Like

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Be mindful of the max dose of Tylenol you can take in a day. You do not want to have to go into the ER because you took too many Vicodins and then ended up jaundice with ascites from acute liver failure then the likelihood of acute pancreatitis increases.

In the hospital, we use the pain scale. 1-10, 1 being the least painful and 10 being the most pain you've ever experienced. You need to never get to 10 because oral medications take 35 minutes up to an hour just to start working. Take vicodin (or if they give you a long acting pain killer) once or twice a day and then other medications for breakthrough. Try non pharmacological methods, too, like icing or relaxation methods.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
First week of radiation and chemo done. Nothing too bad, i just get randomly tired but i assume its the medicine. I start teaching on Tuesday so it will be interesting how that will work.

Cannabis helped with my appetite so much.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Do what Ravvenn did - make Vicodin Jello. No way that'll turn into an addiction.
gross1.jpg
cocaine-01.jpg
vicodinjello.jpg

Ravvenn and her arm lump surgery, turns to cocaine and V-Jello.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Arm lump removal, duh. That shit does look pretty rough though even if it's right after the surgery so I think we know who she went to.

iq68MdT.jpg

• 1Solidarity

Izo

Tranny Chaser
pic_064_clean_790.jpg

Ask for a tapering schedule.
For morphine, depending on starting dose and at least 3 days post surgery pain stabilization it's usually 5-10mg morphine reduction every 4 days post orthopedic surgery (Denmark). Can be pretty rough. I'm guessing you'd want to do something similar. Or start hooking?

Vicodin has 500 mg paracetamol, liver toxic > 8g, so they're for base pain, not breakthroughs.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm

Shit man you gotta get your diserbility

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I took the entire time on chemo as LWOP luckily.

I probably could have handled work the first 4 treatments but I was too immuno compromised to do so.

The last two it would not have gone well.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>

I probably could have handled work the first 4 treatments but I was too immuno compromised to do so.

They seem to be doling out the neulasta to help with that now; it def helped my mom.
She is in a clinical trial right now and YAY she is on the drug as evidenced by side effects and BOOO side effects. She is exhausted and can barely get out of bed this week much less do all the things she usually does., Even as a woman in her 70s she is a freaking machine when not dying from lung cancer or its treatments.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
They seem to be doling out the neulasta to help with that now; it def helped my mom.
She is in a clinical trial right now and YAY she is on the drug as evidenced by side effects and BOOO side effects. She is exhausted and can barely get out of bed this week much less do all the things she usually does., Even as a woman in her 70s she is a freaking machine when not dying from lung cancer or its treatments.
Yeah I was on Neulasta and even with that my WBC was below 10. I had lymphoma though so that was to be expected since you are literally killing your immune system.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah Neulasta helped for me but it wasn't a silver bullet, I still got pretty sick w/ low WBC.

trex

Queen Bee

What's LWOP? PTO?

Not to be insensitive, just wondering about the money side of this. You were making money during the chemo, or no? Your wife works? What did your
Insurance cover? Jx3 what about you?

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Yeah Neulasta helped for me but it wasn't a silver bullet, I still got pretty sick w/ low WBC.
Did you ever have stomach pain with your illness or treatment? Mom has no appetite but makes herself drink carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk. She has severe stomach pain. Doc ordered protonix and zofran but she says they do nothing for the pain...she escapes from it by sleeping. Any (legal in Mo) advice is welcome.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
What's LWOP? PTO?

Not to be insensitive, just wondering about the money side of this. You were making money during the chemo, or no? Your wife works? What did your
Insurance cover? Jx3 what about you?
So LWOP is leave without pay. I am just keeping my seniority and my job in general.

I didn't work from mid June until mid February while doing chemo and then recovering. We started off the process moving from Germany back to San Diego and then ended it with me moving to North Carolina.

While doing treatment the wife worked and she makes 6 figures. Insurance paid for everything once we hit our annual out of pocket max which was like 10k I think. They paid somewhere between $250-$500k on keeping me alive. The majority of our costs were my first surgery and my Neulasta shots which were over $1k each and I needed 6 of them.