Health Problems

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Did you ever have stomach pain with your illness or treatment? Mom has no appetite but makes herself drink carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk. She has severe stomach pain. Doc ordered protonix and zofran but she says they do nothing for the pain...she escapes from it by sleeping. Any (legal in Mo) advice is welcome.
I had no issues with that and did not really lose my appetite. First three treatments (1 every 6 weeks) only had me throwing up the first couple days. The last three got a lot worse with my last one I was throwing up right before and then during the treatment.

I tried Zofran and it didn't work and they put me on Atavan or something similar and it worked better. It wasn't Atavan though but can't think of it. No stomach pain that I remember.

The worst thing I had was my specific treatment wrecked my tastebuds. Everything tasted terrible. I was very careful to eat bland food and nothing that I loved.

Other than nausea it was weird having no asshole hair or nose hair. Oh and when those grow back they tickle and burn. When you have no ass hair you also get a sweat seal and when you fart it gets trapped.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
So out of the blue I've been having recurring spinal pain and weakness in my lower back. Fairly normal since last year, hurt my back bad last year cause me and another worker were shuffling out this 8' I beam out side onto the bobcat/skidsteer forks. Beam slipped and rather than let it go, my dumbass tried to catch it. Ouch.

I typically end up with some type of osteoarthritis is any place I've injured as well, inherited degenerative arthritis problems. Keep in mind only 37 lol.

Anyway see the doc, do a physical, get a scan, and I apparently have 3 small "lumps" along my lower spine, about the size of quarters. Also have a couple more about the same size in same area. I have a larger one embedded in one of my lower back muscles as well.

Well color me shitting bricks. Doc tries reassuring me, have some MRI/CT booked, blood tests, probably a biopsy. Says they probaly cysts, don't stress.

K yeah no fucking worries here at all motherfucker, you got no lumps on yer spine.
The way you described it, those lumps would be the least of your problems if it was cancer. You say it is along the spine - what you are mostly afraid of in that region is metastasis into bones - which means there's a primary site somewhere else, but with you being 37 that's highly unlikely unless you have a family history. Primary tumor in the spinal region is quite rare.

Far more likely scenario is your back getting hurt and the inflammation encapsulating itself thus creating the cysts, which can grow over time and leading to your present problems, when they start pressing into nerves and other tissue. One other option would be arthritis of the spine which is a bitch to deal with, mostly you would be taking pain meds and eventually surgery and shaving of the protruding bits, but I don't think a doctor would describe those as "lumps"

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Did you ever have stomach pain with your illness or treatment? Mom has no appetite but makes herself drink carnation instant breakfast made with whole milk. She has severe stomach pain. Doc ordered protonix and zofran but she says they do nothing for the pain...she escapes from it by sleeping. Any (legal in Mo) advice is welcome.

I got stomach pain from certain beverages and foods. Especially cold soda was something I needed to avoid. I tried Zofran, Compazine, and even Thorazine and they all helped mitigate some issues but I still felt pretty awful. On my last two chemo rounds I decided to try over-the-counter acid blocker omeprazole (namedbrand is Prilosec but I got the pharmacy brand) and it finally got me feeling pretty normal.

A lot of my issues also seemed to occur because my whole digestive system was pretty backed up. Anti-nausea meda can slow down the bowels, taking a laxative helped a lot...

The thing that helped me the most through everything, tho, was eating a cannabis edible before every infusion. All the nurses at my infusion center said they were believers in medical marijuana after seeing the night-and-day difference it made for so many of their patients. I really hope someday medical marijuana goes nationwide.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Tell me this isn't "fucky". My new medicine has to come thru a speciality pharmacy. I've had all kinds of issues with them, the shipping and the general customer service. Sending the package to the wrong state and won't allow you to just buy an extra month and instead waiting till you have 2 days left to ship it, not a fan of that at all since the drug maker makes it clear you can't stop once you start. I can think of lots of instances where that would suck, what if you are out of town? Or something happens like the recent flood etc...

So I ask my doctor if she can send my prescription to another pharmacy because there are a couple of speciality pharmacies that carry it, she says "nope", can only send it to that one pharmacy.

Also, I had totally forgotten I had an MRI about 18 months before all this stuff started as a precaution after a wreck. My doctor keeps saying that the lesions in my brain has gone back for years if not decades. My mom got a copy of the MRI sent to us and the report, it was all clear in the report and actually looking at it. Got to find a new doctor apparently. The stuff now is bad enough it showed up on a cat scan when this started, but didn't show up on a MRI 18 months before but goes back decades? Also my latest MRI shows no activeity and about half of them are going away which is pretty rare as well.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
This may be a stupid question, more of a wellness check type of deal.

At the end of september I'll be climbing Mt. Katahdan in Maine. We'll be walking a 3 mile trail and then hooking into one of the easier trails to the summit (peak is approx 1 mile up).

I want to make sure I obviously don't have any serious medical issues during the climb. I'm thinking about skipping my medicine that day - although it has levelled out to a better level than before, it can sometimes make me low and I don't want to risk it. I'll also be bringing gatorades, candy bars, smarties (thanks borzak, these work) as well as normal food (sandwiches, whatever). All in all it's going to be a 10-12 hour hike up and back down. I used to walk the Walk for Hunger in Boston which was 20 miles, but this has elevation so I am sure even though the mileage is less it will be far more strenuous. I'll also be changing my socks and putting vaseline on my feet to try to minimize blisters/sores.

Are there any other precautions i should bring?

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm

At the end of september I'll be climbing Mt. Katahdan in Maine. We'll be walking a 3 mile trail and then hooking into one of the easier trails to the summit (peak is approx 1 mile up).

I want to make sure I obviously don't have any serious medical issues during the climb. I'm thinking about skipping my medicine that day - although it has levelled out to a better level than before, it can sometimes make me low and I don't want to risk it. I'll also be bringing gatorades, candy bars, smarties (thanks borzak, these work) as well as normal food (sandwiches, whatever). All in all it's going to be a 10-12 hour hike up and back down. I used to walk the Walk for Hunger in Boston which was 20 miles, but this has elevation so I am sure even though the mileage is less it will be far more strenuous. I'll also be changing my socks and putting vaseline on my feet to try to minimize blisters/sores.

I normally adjust my insulin based on what I will be doing. You don't have that option so I dunno. I used to backpack quite a lot and juist carry normal food and smarties. It doesn't take a lot of smarties to get you up from really low of say 50ish to 150 prett quickly

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
If the hike is literally a mile of elevation gain, that is a serious hike, and you should probably not be attempting it without doing less strenuous ones prior to test out your body and gear. And you'll want proper hiking boots, possibly gaiters if it's going to be wet/muddy/snowing, and likely hiking poles.

edit: ah, just looked it up, it's more like 4,000 feet. That's still a really big day. Don't take it lightly.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider

Definitely try to do another hike beforehand to see what kind of problems you run into, either with your health or with your equipment. High sugar won't kill you for a day, low is much more dangerous, so stock up on sweets, even sugar cubes can help, although most soft drinks you can buy have several in them already. The fastest sugar is fructose, I see it sold around here as grape sugar and you don't need insulin for it to work, so a pack might be handy. Definitely have enough meds and sugar for an extra day in case shit hits the fan. I don't know how fit you are or how is your problem treated exactly, but I would only skip any additional insulin doses if that is what you are taking, base dosage should be kept. Might be worth it to ask your doctor.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Oh I missed the elevation increase. I guess I will take back the vagisil comment. I have no experience with the beetus. I have hiked a lot in the Marines and I can hike damn near forever as long as I have a camelbak on to take sips from every so often. I have never eaten on a hike though.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Well I don't have any of the complications associated with diabetes yet and never had a real issue with it. My sugar is pretty well controlled so I'm not too worried. Mostly want to be careful with not going low and also caring for my feet.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Knees will be big too. Going downhill is hard on bad knees, especially once your muscles are tired from the climb up. I tend to get pain on the outside of my knees after a long day of hiking/biking/ski-touring, supposedly because my IT band tightens or has to work overly hard or some shit when the other muscles in my legs get tired. It's never gotten bad enough to do much about it, typically it'll just be a bit of pain to work through the last hour or two of whatever it is that I'm doing. But I don't have bad knees structurally at all, they're solid.

I did a comparable hike back in August, I'm in reasonably decent shape, do a fair amount of that type of thing, and my legs were sore for 3+ days after (didn't help that the day after I spent 18 hours driving home): Wedgemount Lake hiking and camping near Whistler, BC | Vancouver Trails

Not trying to scare you or anything. But if you're a desk jockey that gets little of this type of exercise, you're not going to have a good time on the hike if you aren't prepared. I would again strongly recommend proper hiking boots, not running shoes, hiking runners or whatever. And a pair of gaiters: Outdoor Research | Men's: Gaiters, Waterproof Gaiters, Hiking Gaiters | Outdoor Research | Designed By Adventure | Outdoor Clothing & Gear

Even if it's not wet/muddy, I almost always wear gaiters when hiking decent distances, especially if I'm going to be walking through sandy/shaley/rocky terrain. They'll keep shit out of your boots and socks, whether you're wearing pants or shorts.

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
So...every once or two years, I get a constipation that completely seizes up my intestines and the rest...

Was laying down to sleep and then I get a slowly rising cramp pain from right lower part (slightly above my leg) of my stomach. Immediately I suspected it was constipation....but I just had a bowel movement 6 house prior...
It didn't make sense....

I hit the emergency room (or urgent care in Canada) and they couldn't diagnose it because they didn't have anything. Pain stopped. Started again 9 AM in the morning. Drove 30 minutes in excruciating pain to a proper hospital for diagnoses. They gave me some laxative and told me they found traces of blood in my urine.. (after 5 hours of waiting)...

.....kidney stone.

it doesn't make sense though...but that is what they are telling me.

is there a way to prevent this shit from happening? I just lost an entire day waiting for this one simple fact...

trex

Queen Bee
In the middle of my first ever true migraine. Took Dan to suggest that's probably what it was then he got excedrin I took about an hour ago.

Tell me someone has another remedy that helps. I was thinking maybe a shower but idk if that will make it worse.

Lame post but I feel like I'm dying. Laying in a dark room with my eyes closed is too bright. Someone help

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
My wife's family get them all the time. I think it's something in the water (literally)
I am suspecting shrimp....everytime I cooked shrimp from home (first time in years...) I seem to get constipation and pain....

I forgot to offer my shrimp pasta to Lord kek.. so that could be a possibility...

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
So...every once or two years, I get a constipation that completely seizes up my intestines and the rest...

Was laying down to sleep and then I get a slowly rising cramp pain from right lower part (slightly above my leg) of my stomach. Immediately I suspected it was constipation....but I just had a bowel movement 6 house prior...
It didn't make sense....

I hit the emergency room (or urgent care in Canada) and they couldn't diagnose it because they didn't have anything. Pain stopped. Started again 9 AM in the morning. Drove 30 minutes in excruciating pain to a proper hospital for diagnoses. They gave me some laxative and told me they found traces of blood in my urine.. (after 5 hours of waiting)...

.....kidney stone.

it doesn't make sense though...but that is what they are telling me.

is there a way to prevent this shit from happening? I just lost an entire day waiting for this one simple fact...
National Kidney Foundation says this: 6 Easy Ways to Prevent Kidney Stones
Nephrologist told my b-i-l to add lemon to his water.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider

It didn't make sense....

Have you been checked out for a hernia? Or was it 100% confirmed to be kidney stones?

TrollfaceDeux

<Bronze Donator>
Have you been checked out for a hernia? Or was it 100% confirmed to be kidney stones?
they told me kidney stone is an explanation for the blood in urine but I don't think they said it was completely for sure. They couldn't find it in the C-Scan. They told me it could have passed... I am supposed to go see my family doctor again on Friday. Will confirm if it is.

: Just googled it. Probably hernia but doesn't say anything about blood in urine.