Hearthstone

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm looking at this 9/9 dinosaur with reverse charge and I'm all like... Magma Rager...

"Poison" might actually see play, also can get it from adapt, makes this card not as good but 7 mana means he sees play. Play this after a highmane turn, kinda good

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
yeah magma rager is so shit, it doesn't even counter that. Play two, that's 6 mana and two cards. It's an even trade at best.

I wonder if he can ignore taunt or stealth for these attacks.

• 1Like

Brand

Molten Core Raider
Beneath the Grounds is so much fun to use against Reno....Just freaking hilarious.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Not a good sign when cards are being revealed and this thread lays dormant!

Anyway, 3 cards revealed which imo are "meh" in terms of creativity/design.

636255510227769650.png

Works with the Priest Quest but is very slow as you'll be using your turn 1 for the quest. Turn 2 could be this but a 1/1 on 2 is super-fucking-slow.
HOWEVER, it's not necessarily a bad card as it still has value later in the game, and it's an elemental which might mean something.
I do hate how priests continue playing with cards from opponent deck. I liked it better when Priest did it with minions on board, but getting RNG luck is just stupid. If anything I'd prefer it was a Rogue trait.

636255673176415903.png

Another priest card. What spells would you want to copy? Would be really good for a lot of other classes, but Priest spells are super-inefficient. I'd feel bad discovering Pain/Death/Word/etc.
HOWEVER, it could open up some janky Divine Spirit or Mind Blast craziness. 4 Mind Blasts -- the Horror.

636255589525918036.png

Really boring. Is this their Jade counter? I'm not even sure he's good. If you're against an aggro deck you're more then likely just buffing dudes. If you're against a Mid-Range/Control then you're probably only hitting 1-2 minions. Eadric has a better effect and is never played.
EDIT: Missed the part where he changes your own minions, too... which gives him SLIGHTLY more value, but still bad imo.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Oracle will see play, though it's probably nothing special. I think the Priest spell is going to be insanely overrated by the community and then unplayed.

The Paladin legendary is pretty meh, the meta would have to be fatigue warrior levels of slow for it to be playable, and even then you're just hoping to buff your own dudes more than anything. If you and your opponent both have a board it does let all your stuff trade into their stuff though, making it a pseudo third equality clear, which might get it run a tiny bit.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
More cards today:
We see Elemental Synergy cards.

636256088611038006.png

Interesting effect in that it's a "played LAST turn" effect. First time this is used. Could be really crazy, and he has taunt. So if you can even place 2 elementals on turn 8 then this guy is a 5/15 with taunt.

The Taunt might make him playable, but as we know, Soggoth already is never played and is immune to spells/hero powers. which means this guy probably isn't played... though we Standard rotation means anything can happen I guess.

636256088066592203.png

So another "Last turn" effect. Maybe this is going to be the Elemental race effect. He's like a cheaper Cenarius in a way. I think this guy could see some play. Mid Range shaman going to be even more annoying now? They can dish out so many small taunts already with Wolves/totems/free 5/5s etc.

636256086299028889.png

Only fits in an Elemental deck unless the 2 damage becomes necessary for new-freeze mage type deck. Mage also have Water Elemental, so Elemental deck might be something.

636256010565776425.png

Very nice for discardlock, makes their discards so good if it hits this, which can be managed often I think. Funny it's a Beast though.

636256087495344774.png

I feel like this is very good... trades with most 1 drops already and gives you another! And the Elemental tag means it might not be a dead draw later.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Discard lock is definitely starting to have some really value-heavy cards, it was pseudo-playable before, if these new cards are any indication it should be viable enough. I do like Fire Fly but have to see how the synergy pans out. I don't think either of those other 2 "last turn" elementals are OP enough to see play, and both are hella weak in arena more than likely.

Edit: Yea even thinking about it more... the "best case" for those last-turn elementals is really not that strong. If the game slows down THAT much those are very weak compared to other late game cards anyway.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Not excited about the "last turn" mechanic.

I like it tbh... So much better than RNG madness.
"Last Turn" means as the player you need to plan ahead, which from my experience, most players just don't do. It's always tempo-tempo-tempo and answer the board NOW.
It also means as an opponent you can track Elemental usage and try to plan for what MIGHT happen... like "okay, he might drop a 5/15 taunt next turn, I better save this removal".

-----------

I also really really like Reynad's suggestion about Revealing the resulting card of an RNG effect. Would make the counterplay so much better.

--------

The ability to plan ahead is what makes for a good engaging game. Shitting out RNG effects makes a dumber game.
I think "Last Turn" will be just fine, just a matter of the tuning.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I agree that the mechanic of "last turn" is fine, but the cards so far are way too weak for it to matter.

• 1Like

Morrow

Trakanon Raider
I like the last turn mechanic. It adds more strategy and depth to the game. I think it's fantastic.

It is interesting that this thread has died down a lot. I haven't completed any daily quests in a couple weeks. Wasting all that gold even though I know I'll use it someday. Just can't bring myself to do the quests haha. I guess other people are a bit burnt out as well? I wonder if that's the same across the game at the moment?

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I wonder if that's the same across the game at the moment?

I tend to believe it is. Same meta for 4 months is not healthy. I think 3 expansions a year could help, but I'm not entirely sold. HS is also getting some competition from other games and more & more pros are advertising those other games too. Also just the fact the game is still a simple card game means you probably lose more players than gain. They really do a disservice not having some more hooks or getting more creative. Tournament mode, PvE, Custom Game mode, more things to collect, achievements, etc... I really can't believe it has lasted this long without ANY real "thing" to strive for. And then you have Overwatch completely putting the HS team to shame.

Really the only thing HS has going for it is that it's so damn accessible. It's the main game I play when I'm on a tablet... which is often.

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I play as much as ever. Tablet/accessibility thing is big with me too. I have a Gwent key I haven't even bothered with because I already assume it will be a clunky cluttered busy ugly UI that I can't stand like ES. I actually know something about WC/WoW lore too which really does help me enjoy the cards and themes. I'd be more interested in an original IP game at this point than some high fantasy/dark style shit that I never cared about with their other games.

• 1Like

Origin

Molten Core Raider
I guess other people are a bit burnt out as well? I wonder if that's the same across the game at the moment?

Pretty much all of the stuff Ravishing said. The game is not in a good place, in general, at the moment. The fact that we drool at minor new mechanic introductions (such as last turn play) basically goes to show how desperate and invested some of us are.

There's a huge lack of content, especially considering the game studio we're dealing with. This isn't some homebrew, backwoods 3 man team doing everything from design, to development, to marketing. It's goddamn Blizzard. The fact that there's essentially 3 game modes, out of which 2 are mostly irrelevant to the biggest part of their base of paying players, is ridiculous. The game has been out for how many years? 3? 4? They should have so much shit that's it's overwhelming. Instead, the game has changed very little since release and they continue to alienate the people that generate their revenue.

At the root of it, for me anyways, is the fact that the game is based in the Warcraft universe. I love Warcraft. It's why i started playing Hearthstone and it's why i continue to play, versus going to some other CCG with clearly superior game play. But even at that, we're getting to a point where the content they're releasing has very little to do with Warcraft. I don't give a shit about some random, remote and irrelevant zone from WoW like Un'Goro. I don't want that shit being shoved down my throat for 4 months. The epicness of the Warcraft universe is totally being ignored. I thought that the dark tone and direction they were taking the game during WoTG was great. Epic content, big shit all over. After that Karazhan, while having a good amount of relevance to Wacraft, had some wacky art - which i didn't like. And then, aside from the name, MSG had very little to do with Warcraft at all. None of the cards were really memory evoking. I mean, Seargent Sally? Jades? Goons? Kazakus? Get the fuck out. Wtf... I mean, to devote a third of your annual content on such a small piece of lore, such as Gadgetzan, is ridiculous. Gadgetzan was some piece of shit town in a piece of shit zone that people spent 3 levels in and got the fuck out once they reached lvl 45. They didn't even have anything from Zul'Farrak, and ZF was the most relevant thing to do in Tanaris. The expansion could have been called Mean Streets of Fuckyourself and shipped under a completely new game for all the relevance that it had with Warcraft. So, are we to expect watered down garbage 3 times a year? Are we going to get "Wild Forests of Feralas" next? "Cold Winds of Winterspring"? "Dangerous Mountains of Redridge"? Like wtf? 3 times per year (expansion and/or adventure)? Just seems like a huge letdown.

And then there's the current meta and card set. What a piece of shit. Over 50% aggressive decks and enough other garbage (Jade druid) to counter anything that could counter the aggressive decks. Rock-paper-scissors done completely wrong.

However, none of this really surprises me. I work for a corporation myself and i understand how things work. If the bottom line is met and we're positive, giddyup. And they certainly have enough whales, like myself, to generate enough annual profit to stay afloat, regardless of how dank their product is. Don't like it? Don't buy it. Unfortunately though, i'm an idiot and i keep donating my money and wasting my time.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I like Un'Goro the zone but yeah the way they went full wtfdisney? on Kara and Gadgetzan was stupid. Keep it more to the original spirit of the WoW zones and less kiddie stuff IMO.

The problem I'm having with the expansion is that the cards are generally underwhelming looking so far, and I fail to see how rotation is going to affect this meta very much. Its likely to still be pirate/jade stone going forward still and that's very bad. They needed to have a really well executed and balanced expansion in MSG and they failed. Now we are stuck with those mistakes for a long ass time due to the rotation schedule.

Maybe later this year that gets shaken up more but that's still a long ass time. The approach to rotation in general has fatal flaws due to the imbalance of the classic set's class cards already and it appears headed to only exacerbate that problem.

• 1Like

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I like Un'Goro the zone but yeah the way they went full wtfdisney? on Kara and Gadgetzan was stupid. Keep it more to the original spirit of the WoW zones and less kiddie stuff IMO.

The problem I'm having with the expansion is that the cards are generally underwhelming looking so far, and I fail to see how rotation is going to affect this meta very much. Its likely to still be pirate/jade stone going forward still and that's very bad. They needed to have a really well executed and balanced expansion in MSG and they failed. Now we are stuck with those mistakes for a long ass time due to the rotation schedule.

Maybe later this year that gets shaken up more but that's still a long ass time. The approach to rotation in general has fatal flaws due to the imbalance of the classic set's class cards already and it appears headed to only exacerbate that problem.

• Funny about the disney complaint. I guess only people that play WoW care, but WoW always seemed disney-ish to me to begin with. I didn't play WoW but from an outsider perspective all Blizz games were "cartoonish". Compared to their counterparts at least.

• Yea the cards look mostly underwhelming so far, but we've only seen 24 so far.. not that I have much faith that Blizz has learned anything. However, from what we've seen so far there are 6 taunts out of 24 cards, not including Priest Quest reward, that's 25%. I think they are brute forcing some taunts into the game which would slow things down for sure. Problem then becomes Jades, which MAYBE works itself out somehow, but I really think it's a huge mistake not putting Auctioneer in the HoF. Seems like they really want the Rogue Legendary to work which basically requires Auctioneer. Dumb imo, the card sucks even with Auctioneer. From what we see so far, I actually think Priest is looking very strong and Discardlock maybe.

Maybe I'm too optimistic but Priest is getting some burst with Shadow Visions, but could also be an early game threat going the deathrattle route too. I think they are getting too much tbh. I actually have an ALPHA deck I'll be updating for a first-try once this expansion releases. Here's where I'm at so far, obviously much will change based on future card releases:

Priest Test - Hearthstone Decks
    2.JPG

1.JPG

• Lastly, as I continue to say. Main complaint is the fact meta is driven by the mode. And the mode fucking sucks. Sure, the locks every 5 levels is a helpful start, but they really need to add more. It's ridiculous we're stuck with this stupid ladder.

• 1Like

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Cartoonish, light hearted, pop culture references is one thing. It just seems like the earlier stuff retained a WoW feel and lately they've gone overboard on more "cute" aspects than the original design.

• 1Like

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
The meta was also the worst it had ever been before WotoG/year of the kraken launched. Shit just gets too stale towards the end.

The year of the rooster starts with this expansion correct?

• 1Like