Heroes of the Storm

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
For a new game, that isn't accessible to the general public for who knows how long, that is fairly complicated and not intuitive, you need someone who can explain what they're doing and why. None of the random Diablo/Hearthstone streamers really were doing that. Add on a tiny champion pool and it gets old for the player and viewer very fast.
From what I have played so far, this isn't complicated. Which as I said above, is a good thing for me personally. Diablo 3 and HS are also fairly straight forward games with more critical thinking skills like a chess match with HS. If I had to guess, it isn't streamed as much because there is not that much to learn once you understand the core concepts of HOTS. Develop the play style you like with talents, make sure you coordinate the specials for your team pertaining to whatever map you are on - ultimately that will win the game for you. I have not seen a game lost yet from a team that dominated the specials.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I very much agree with this. I love the "concept" of LoL and Dota, but the last hitting, denial, extremely complicated build and items, make them both very inaccessible to new players.

I don't have access yet but two good friends of mine are and they won't shut up about how fun this game is. These same people played the tutorial of LoL and couldn't get into it because of the above.
Yeah it really is a blast to play. Simple, straight forward, accessible, and very easy to understand and get into. The map variety is really good so far too. Sent you a PM.

an accordion_sl

shitlord
You are coming at it all wrong, and is another reason a lot of pros fail at streaming.

Streaming isn't just passive entertainment, it is a place for people to hang out and talk in a chat room. It's a community that forms around these streamers,and the interaction the streamer has with his audience which makes it so popular.

You can be the best dota 2 player ever but if you play your obnoxious music all day, and ignore the people that support you completely you will have a very hard time retaining anyone's attention for more then 10 min.
This isn't really true, arteezy is probably the best mid player at the moment and he gets a shitton of viewers with zero interaction and horrible music.

Column_sl

shitlord
We were talking about streaming as whole, not one player out a of a million.

The original conversation was why do the mediocre gamers get so many viewers, and it's clearly about entertainment...
Keep up with the conversation please...

A lot of new streamers think they can come in off there names alone, and fall flat on there faces all the time. If you think that is untrue then you don't watch Twitch..

Saw an interesting stat today. Kripparian gets 4 million unique visits to his stream daily.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Nah, you specifically said the best player in dota couldn't maintain a stream under those conditions. Accordion debunked that theory and then you back tracked with "not one player out a of a million". The conversation may have been about twitch as a whole but your example was wrong.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
You can be the best dota 2 player ever but if you play your obnoxious music all day, and ignore the people that support you completely you will have a very hard time retaining anyone's attention for more then 10 min.
Are you serious?

Column_sl

shitlord
That doesn't say fail LOL, that says you will have trouble maintaining someones attention.
You are combining the whole quote into one.

And you will, Most pros on Twitch do not do very well following the above example.

Arch

Lord Nagafen Raider
I very much agree with this. I love the "concept" of LoL and Dota, but the last hitting, denial, extremely complicated build and items, make them both very inaccessible to new players.

I don't have access yet but two good friends of mine are and they won't shut up about how fun this game is. These same people played the tutorial of LoL and couldn't get into it because of the above.
I'm also in the same boat, hopefully I can snake an invite to this but will be watching regardless.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Well, I was just clarifying what Accordion was talking about. I do agree with you though. I enjoy streams a lot more when the streamer actually interacts with the chat and talks about what's going on in the game. I'm sure I'm not the only one in that regard.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
That doesn't say fail LOL, that says you will have trouble maintaining someones attention.
You are combining the whole quote into one.

And you will, Most pros on Twitch do not do very well following the above example.
That's untrue in league, any pro streaming will get 10k+ viewers, and the vast majority are very quiet. TheOddOne, ImaQTPie, and Snoopeh are in the exceptions, not the norm. And the ORIGINAL conversation was why the HotS streams weren't getting higher numbers/more popularity.

Column_sl

shitlord
I seriously doubt every pro league streamer is getting 10k a night considering how many pros there are, and how small the twitch viewership as a whole really is.
In fact I'm on Twitch right now, and the highest LOL streamer is at 2k, with only a tournament feed bringing in high numbers.

The original statement was why mediocre gamers that stream get high numbers playing a game they are obviously not good at (HOTS), versus a pro moba player playing a game they are not famous for.

It's pretty obvious why that is..

Louis

Trakanon Raider
I think it's hard to really consider any of them "The BEST mid". They all have different play styles and hero pools. I'd say he's definitely the best mid NA. Worldwide it gets alot more convoluted though where you could make a case for like 5 or 6 different players.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I seriously doubt every pro league streamer is getting 10k a night considering how many pros there are, and how small the twitch viewership as a whole really is.
In fact I'm on Twitch right now, and the highest LOL streamer is at 2k, with only a tournament feed bringing in high numbers.

The original statement was why mediocre gamers that stream get high numbers playing a game they are obviously not good at (HOTS), versus a pro moba player playing a game they are not famous for.

It's pretty obvious why that is..
Pretty sure LoL Pros are bound by contract to not stream during the official tournaments, so you're never going to see a high pro stream during LCS streams. Out of the weekends though when it's less often that there's a LCS stream, you'll see people like Nightblue and Bjorgsen(spelling) getting 20k+ viewers.

Completely different situations though, HotS not getting high numbers when it still only has like 5000people with access and absolutely no competitive scene doesn't really mean shit about anything. Hell comparing numbers to lol is doubly retarded. Dota has a healthy amount of viewers and yet they're nowhere close to lol viewership, having 5000people watching a game's streams puts it in the high numbers, LoL is its own category. Dota does jump up a fuckton when Dendi is streaming or when a tournament is running(especially a tournament with Na'Vi) but the rest of the time the numbers are a lot more average.

Rogosh

Lord Nagafen Raider
I havent really been following this much but intend to play it, are there more gametypes than just ctf? As an avid smite fan I really enjoyed domination and random character matches as well as ctf.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I havent really been following this much but intend to play it, are there more gametypes than just ctf? As an avid smite fan I really enjoyed domination and random character matches as well as ctf.
There isn't any CTF. You destroy the enemy base to win, similar to every game in the genre. Haven't played Smite since beta but was like that too last time I checked. There are secondary objectives on the map which let you destroy the base, but that's about it. Mostly you collect skulls to summon a large creep to destroy shit, you collect coins to pay a NPC to bomb the enemy buildings, you collect large visible to everyone items to curse every enemy on the map(reduced armor, hp loss and whatever else it does) or you control 2 objectives to activate a 3rd one that grants temporary powers to one player.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
The best mids are probably considered Dendi, Mushi, RTZ, Singsing, S4, and H4nni? I'm probably forgetting a couple off the top of my head and I question putting H4nni there at all. There's also alot of players from the East that I know nothing about.