Homesteading and Hobby Farm/Ranch

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior VP | Pantheon Pals VP Recruiting
<Gold Donor>
I culled my roosters last fall, currently none and don't really want them. Hens seemed more stressed out with them than without.

Before I switch over to the new pullets I'm going to super clean the coop , maybe just replace roosting boards. I coat them in DE though so again seems unlikely they would be the issue.
I’d skip DE tbh. I’d pull all bedding and everything from the coop, buy durvet 10% permethrin, mix in chemical sprayer and spray the entire thing down. I’d follow up with treating individual chickens with elector psp (spray under wings, behind neck, on vent) maybe twice in a 10-12 day span.

Then I’d do permethrin spray as a preventative. Maybe once every 3-4 months. Nothing crazy like spraying everything. Probably just perimeter.

edit - this is if you can verify mites or bugs of some sort are an issue. This is a lot of work if it’s not. I wasn’t 100% sure I had mites but my chickens bounced back nicely after - less missing feathers, wounds from scratching, etc

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
In my mind it's normal for some chickens to be missing feathers. The low status birds get picked on by the other hens.
A million times this. Vicious fucking things are the origin of the phrase 'pecking order'. Couple weeks ago I saw one chicken standing on top of another plucking its feathers out and the one on the bottom just sat there enduring it.