House of the Dragon

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I dont know, if you want to armchair medieval combat then sure you wont like it. But the story was good. Jon got baited, went too hard, lost, saved by the vale (The lack of setup for that is a real issue) but the combat looked amazing, the score was amazing, the mini set pieces were amazing. I cant imagine calling one of the best epsidoes of television ever "neat to watch once but overall stupid"

Battle of Blackwater was great for a 2nd season of a TV show in what, 2011 when money for shows was much less and not on par with movies. GOT is a part of the reason shows now have massive budgets.

Especially given the alternative is Ryan fucking Condal.

You want a guy with a proven track record and experience with HBO budgets to do it? Or just some guy? I don't think anything Ryan Condal would do for the battle would even crack "neat" on the register.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Especially given the alternative is Ryan fucking Condal.

You want a guy with a proven track record and experience with HBO budgets to do it? Or just some guy? I don't think anything Ryan Condal would do for the battle would even crack "neat" on the register.

exactly. Rooks roost was ok. These guys could never do the battle at the wall

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
I dont know, if you want to armchair medieval combat then sure you wont like it. But the story was good. Jon got baited, went too hard, lost, saved by the vale (The lack of setup for that is a real issue) but the combat looked amazing, the score was amazing, the mini set pieces were amazing. I cant imagine calling one of the best epsidoes of television ever "neat to watch once but overall stupid"

Battle of Blackwater was great for a 2nd season of a TV show in what, 2011 when money for shows was much less and not on par with movies. GOT is a part of the reason shows now have massive budgets.

The funny thing is botb also has the battle for mereen. Then the next episode is one giant set piece building up to the sept being blown up, all set to its own orchestral score.

And by standards of later seasons the battle of the blackwater looks really basic once stannis forces reach land

Burns

I watched GoT for the characters that were written logically and smartly. Stupid writing is stupid wherever it is located.

Sansa knew the Vale was marching to Winterfell, but didn't think to tell Jon? Fucking stupid. The Vale marched over 200 miles to Winterfell with a huge army, without the Boltons knowing about it? Fucking stupid.

Could better writing get the Bolton army out of Winterfell with an army marching at their back? Maybe. As is, it was all setup to do the "oh no, a bunch of characters you like are going to die" fake out, which is just as fucking stupid as it was in the season 8 Battle for Winterfell bullshit.

That's without watching the actual battle for everything they did wrong with medieval combat, and it's one of the things that got progressively worse as the show went on. Having read, watched, and taken electives on Medieval warfare, it's something I do notice.

Funny thing is, the fatman had the chapter where Stanis is sieging Winterfell close to, or already finished when they made this episode, but of course they were already ignoring him.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
"taken electives on medieval warfare"

1724013040486.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Burns

"taken electives on medieval warfare"

View attachment 542228
It's been so long, I don't remember the exact names of the 3000/4000 level classes. One professor loved to say "Firepower Verses Mobility" like every class and another had previously taught at The Citadel or West Point. History wasn't my major/degree, so what else should I call them?

Burns

Also, this Oglaf was obviously inspired by the last episode:
chains.jpg

Edit: Cartoon dick in non-cartoon dick area.

Last edited:

Burns

Dude's complaining about unrealistic medieval warfare in a battle where one side had an actual giant
That one's easy, giants would be equivalent to an African Elephant in battlefield tactics. They even went as far as saying giants were easily spooked in the series.

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
Dude's complaining about unrealistic medieval warfare in a battle where one side had an actual giant
Ossoi, this is a stupid statement even for your autistic ass. Suspension of disbelief is specific, not broad. If the show has been written in a way that we expect people to behave in certain ways, then the presence of giants and dragons doesn't excuse the sudden absence of said behaviors. The Battle of the Bastards, while entertaining to look at, was absolutely fucking retarded.

HURR DURR YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMETHING STUPID WHEN THERE'S GIANTS???

shut the fuck up, you retarded faggot

• 1Picard

Chris

Potato del Grande
That's without watching the actual battle for everything they did wrong with medieval combat, and it's one of the things that got progressively worse as the show went on. Having read, watched, and taken electives on Medieval warfare, it's something I do notice.
If the show isn't about medieval combat then you need to give some things a pass, not whatever the Dothraki did in the final battle, but Battle of the Bastards was fine.

For example, in Lord of the Rings, at Helm's Deep, can horses charge down a hill that steep?

• 1Like

Burns

If the show isn't about medieval combat then you need to give some things a pass, not whatever the Dothraki did in the final battle, but Battle of the Bastards was fine.

For example, in Lord of the Rings, at Helm's Deep, can horses charge down a hill that steep?
If everything else is set up well, then of course you can overlook a single bout of silliness. The Battle of the Bastards isn't season 8 bad, but was a sign of things to come and I am certainly more critical of it now, after season 8. Between it's airing and season 8 ruining everything, I only remember not being impressed with it. I even remember fast forwarding through half of it on rewatch(s).

Like I said earlier, throughout the whole series, even when I was a big fanboi, I preferred the early seasons where they didn't show the battles (the battles that they showed were easily the weakest part of the show). For some reason I think of Tarantino movies when it comes to this; the early seasons were like Reservoir Dogs and the later seasons were like Kill Bill. I don't much like Kill Bill.

Last edited:

Ossoi

Potato del Grande
<Rickshaw Potatoes>
Ossoi, this is a stupid statement even for your autistic ass. Suspension of disbelief is specific, not broad. If the show has been written in a way that we expect people to behave in certain ways, then the presence of giants and dragons doesn't excuse the sudden absence of said behaviors. The Battle of the Bastards, while entertaining to look at, was absolutely fucking retarded.

HURR DURR YOU'RE COMPLAINING ABOUT SOMETHING STUPID WHEN THERE'S GIANTS???

shut the fuck up, you retarded faggot

Are you an idiot? Medieval tactics go out the window in the presence of an .... Actual giant

I also never said anything about dragons which are specifically equivalent to nukes.

Yes, it's stupid to think a TV show should import realistic medieval tactics especially when there is a force with no real world equivalent on the field that if deployed correctly could decimate the other side

All they needed to do was give him armour and a tree trunk and he'd have broken through the Bolton forces

And clearly the real autist is me and not the guy who did medieval battle tactics as a major then c complains a show that blends medieval history with magic and fantasy isn't realistic /s

Last edited:

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
You shouldt be fighting over who is the real autist.

You are both very autistic.

Everyone here is.

its like arguing over who is the real faggot at a monkeypox spreading orgy.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Should I watch this show ?
It's well made with lots of interesting shocking moments. Season 1 moves too quickly and Season 2 moves too slowly.

People are unhappy because:
1) They cut Episode 9 and 10 of Season 2 to put into Season 3, so there's no climax. This won't be a problem once Season 3 is out.

2) It's not 190% historically accurate to the plot summary in a spinoff history book, which has triggered some powerful autism.

My personal issue is that the actors are good but the wrong ages for who they are portraying.

Waiting for Season 3 could be a good idea.