Investing General Discussion

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
edit: Sorry, i saw the "intel" and then promptly ignored it. My thoughts on intel is "no bueno".

ALB
Heavily shorted (last update was almost 15% of the float sold short). Worlds largest lithium miner and also mines lots of more mundane stuff. Also does various types of battery/storage tech. US Company. If the shorts are right, you will lose your ass. If they are wrong, money to be made at this price area. Price is rocky AF right now so buckle up. I have been both up 20% and down 20% just in the last 3-4 months.

Company Profile (spoilered for length)

Albemarle Corporation develops, manufactures, and markets engineered specialty chemicals worldwide. It operates through three segments: Energy Storage, Specialties and Ketjen. The Energy Storage segment offers lithium compounds, including lithium carbonate, lithium hydroxide, and lithium chloride; technical services for the handling and use of reactive lithium products; and lithium-containing by-products recycling services. The Specialties segment provides bromine-based specialty chemicals, including elemental bromine, alkyl and inorganic bromides, brominated powdered activated carbon, and other bromine fine chemicals; lithium specialties, such as butyllithium and lithium aluminum hydride; develops and manufactures cesium products for the chemical and pharmaceutical industries; and zirconium, barium, and titanium products for pyrotechnical applications that include airbag initiators. The Ketjen segment offers clean fuels technologies (CFT), which is composed of hydroprocessing catalysts (HPC) together with isomerization and akylation catalysts; fluidized catalytic cracking (FCC) catalysts and additives; and performance catalyst solutions (PCS), which is composed of organometallics and curatives. The company serves the energy storage, petroleum refining, consumer electronics, construction, automotive, lubricants, pharmaceuticals, and crop protection markets. Albemarle Corporation was founded in 1887 and is headquartered in Charlotte, North Carolina.

ALB and INTC are currently my only low entry holdings. So, all in on ALB ir maybe 80/20 ALB/INTC.

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have thoughts on Intel?

I've got $4k burning a hole in my account and needs to play.

When almost all chip makers are printing money, INTC cant figure out how to do that. Their problems are long term and terminal. AI farms require GPUs, not CPUs so they can't take advantage of the boom like others have been able to. This would require completely reinventing large portions of their company. They also have long term manufacturing problems because they wanted to be TSMC, but they can't wrangle that either.

$30 seems like an attractive price point but I wouldn't be surprised if you'll still be able to pick it up for $30 at end of the year.

To me its a very unattractive pedestrian stock with no upside, only lots of problems.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
I believe we have reached the root of the issue.

I think this NVDA thing was after he tried to get me banned from the thread and started making polls to that effect.

I'm just a dude who wants to talk stonks, share info, learn, without

1. being talked down to by some boomers who are often wrong but dont have the character to acknowledge that for the fear it will shatter their imagined all-knowing mystique.

2. sifting through bad advice by people who sneeringly imply that most of us are idiots for questioning them as they tell us to buy stocks without providing reasonable analysis of an exit point, or like some others who tell us to buy into earning calls

• 1Thoughts & Prayers
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior VP | Pantheon Pals VP Recruiting
<Gold Donor>
When almost all chip makers are printing money, INTC cant figure out how to do that. Their problems are long term and terminal. AI farms require GPUs, not CPUs so they can't take advantage of the boom like others have been able to. This would require completely reinventing large portions of their company. They also have long term manufacturing problems because they wanted to be TSMC, but they can't wrangle that either.

$30 seems like an attractive price point but I wouldn't be surprised if you'll still be able to pick it up for $30 at end of the year.

To me its a very unattractive pedestrian stock with no upside, only lots of problems.
Even on the CPU side it’s hard for them to compete with ARM and RISC-V. Would not touch.

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Isn't that all the new Intel GPUs are for? Alchemy/Battlemage/etc. Granted they are very far behind. Bigger issue is they aren't hyped rather than lack of product though.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Isn't that all the new Intel GPUs are for? Alchemy/Battlemage/etc. Granted they are very far behind. Bigger issue is they aren't hyped rather than lack of product though.

I think those Intel GPUs are just for gaming. I mean I guess they could theoretically pivot into the AI GPU space using those as a springboard, reset their business strategy to aggressively focus on hardware that supports AI, try to play catch up with Nvidia and others but what is the timeline on that would look like? 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? It would be a huge strategic shift for the whole company.

I dont think Tmac Tmac wants to wait that long.

• 2Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

This was a helpful breakdown of the "why" behind sentiment being so low. Where do you do your research?

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
This was a helpful breakdown of the "why" behind sentiment being so low. Where do you do your research?

I work a lot with AI on marketing side so I have a good amount of insight just from the industries I interact with professionally. I also play semiconductor and chip stocks a lot so just learn a lot over time from reading news, twitter, etc.

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
BTW, I just checked to see how many times I played INTC in my life and it was twice. Once in December, once in April for a whopping $170 gain on a $110K position. I'm just not a fan 🤷‍♂️

1719947425055.png

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
1719945666898.png

Very tempted to sell a covered call on TSLA, I would do that here if it was in a tax shelter but exit options aren't really acceptable to me here. If I get called I'd have to pay taxes and I'm not going to eat the cash buying out the call if its in the money, even if the premiums are pretty juicy. We went right up to the trend line and pulled back, up another 9% today.

• 2Like

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Intel might be up there as this threads largest collective money killer, at minimum top 10.
The only trade decision worse than buying INTC is buying INTC in the aftermarket after earnings in that low liquidity environment and then seeing it plunge by double at the opening bell when the normies get involved.

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior VP | Pantheon Pals VP Recruiting
<Gold Donor>
NFC why I sold TSLA at 180 and thought 140 wasn’t low enough to buy back in. Really hits home what Blazin Blazin posted earlier on sentiment. I had cold feet and all, buying into mainstream bear sentiment

• 1Double Worf