Investing General Discussion

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
And the answer to today's pop quiz is...

Colors GIF by JOOLS TV

The vix was green.

:emoji_smiley:

• 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Haus

<Silver Donator>
RE: Crowdstrike.

Don't.

Microsoft is taking antimalware and anticheat out of the kernel. This will make third party products that rely on kernel layer access much less effective.

Possible that CRWD could make it up in other services, but more possible that they don't.
This is going to affect a considerable swath of companies, but I do think CRWD's reliance on kernel mode access is larger. I agree with you that this will be a technological headwind against them, but crashing millions of systems.... they kinda brought this on themselves. (Don't pay any attention to the fact that the MS competitor to CRWD of course, won't be limited by this as it will still have access from what I have read).

And the answer to today's pop quiz is...

Colors GIF by JOOLS TV
bearjesus1.jpeg

Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Bear Jesus?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is going to affect a considerable swath of companies, but I do think CRWD's reliance on kernel mode access is larger. I agree with you that this will be a technological headwind against them, but crashing millions of systems.... they kinda brought this on themselves. (Don't pay any attention to the fact that the MS competitor to CRWD of course, won't be limited by this as it will still have access from what I have read).

View attachment 546605
Do you have a moment to talk about our lord and savior Bear Jesus?

I imagine it comes down to the fact that 3 letter agencies don't want to share kernel access with other companies.

• 1Solidarity

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Microsoft got in some antitrust hot water a couple times in the US and in the EU because they started selling their own antimalware service bundled with Windows. Other vendors could sell antimalware services, but theirs were never going to be as good as the one Microsoft built into Windows, because they couldn't load their drivers early enough in the boot process to catch the lowest level malware.

Rather than repeat what happened with Internet Explorer antitrust case, Microsoft allowed other vendors to load their malware detection drivers sooner in the boot process. This also applies to certain anticheats, like the one Valorant uses. (FYI: Valve does not do this, their anticheat only loads at runtime.)

Allowing these drivers to load this early in the boot process opens up two major vulnerabilities. One, a bad malware driver can brick the machine, like Crowdstrike did. Or two, the antimalware or anticheat driver can itself become compromised, either via a supply chain attack, or through some other modification, at which point the antimalware or anticheat is now itself a malware rootkit. And yes, certain spy tools from certain :emoji_nose:vendors:emoji_nose: who shall remain nameless do exploit attack surfaces like this, by compromising other tools.

Now that Crowdstrike fucked it for every other vendor, Microsoft has a huge excuse to reverse course and revoke the ability for third parties to load drivers this early in the boot process without running afoul of antitrust--at least for a while until everyone forgets again. This would help keep EVERYONE out.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 3 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Microsoft got in some antitrust hot water a couple times in the US and in the EU because they started selling their own antimalware service bundled with Windows. Other vendors could sell antimalware services, but theirs were never going to be as good as the one Microsoft built into Windows, because they couldn't load their drivers early enough in the boot process to catch the lowest level malware.

Rather than repeat what happened with Internet Explorer antitrust case, Microsoft allowed other vendors to load their malware detection drivers sooner in the boot process. This also applies to certain anticheats, like the one Valorant uses. (FYI: Valve does not do this, their anticheat only loads at runtime.)

Allowing these drives to load this early in the boot process opens up two major vulnerabilities. One, a bad malware driver can brick the machine, like Crowdstrike did. Or two, the antimalware or anticheat driver can itself become compromised, either via a supply chain attack, or through some other modification, at which point the antimalware or anticheat is now itself a malware rootkit. And yes, certain spy tools from certain :emoji_nose:vendors:emoji_nose: who shall remain nameless do exploit attack surfaces like this, by compromising other tools.

Now that Crowdstrike fucked it for every other vendor, Microsoft has a huge excuse to reverse course and revoke the ability for third parties to load drivers this early in the boot process without running afoul of antitrust--at least for a while until everyone forgets again. This would help keep EVERYONE out.
It's given me the excuse to make the rounds texting friends I have who work at CRWD with "You guys are now officially the reason we can't have nice things.. You know that, right?"

• 1Worf

Palum

what Suineg set it to

Allowing these drivers to load this early in the boot process opens up two major vulnerabilities. One, a bad malware driver can brick the machine, like Crowdstrike did. Or two, the antimalware or anticheat driver can itself become compromised, either via a supply chain attack, or through some other modification, at which point the antimalware or anticheat is now itself a malware rootkit. And yes, certain spy tools from certain :emoji_nose:vendors:emoji_nose: who shall remain nameless do exploit attack surfaces like this, by compromising other tools.

sir-this-is-a-wendys.jpg

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Creslin

Trakanon Raider
I think a lot or even most people think the Fed is trying to keep the economy from growing too fast when the reality is closer to the fed wants the economy to grow as fast as it possibly can without the dollar devaluing or inflation exploding upward.

At the moment the dollar is not in serious danger of devaluing against other major currencies cause they are all more fucked than we are and inflation is tame enough and likely headed lower just from macro conditions like China fueled deflation in manufactured goods.

• 1Like

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
Very curious to see how much chasing we get today, lots of people unsure what would happen or were outright bearish and now they are caught offsides. You normally don't want to sell ATH as there is a chance this has some legs for weeks BUT for me I may sell if I see enough FOMO and squeeze but that is market timing and I trust myself to manage getting back in.

The flip side to this outcome is that there are too many people like myself who wanted this 570 and are too quick to take profits. Option Exp tomorrow and there are going to be a lot of calls paying bigly if they can't stop this train.

Today could be a $20k day which is what I'm hoping, I continue to be influenced by the fact I'm at my goal for the year and while I like gravy I don't want to get fat.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Moglyzoke Moogleman

Not here
<Gold Donor>
Today could be a $20k day which is what I'm hoping, I continue to be influenced by the fact I'm at my goal for the year and while I like gravy I don't want to get fat.
Funny I made a personal call for a high profit day as well. You're going to win clearly but it'd be cool if I hit my goal (1/20th to 1/5th of yours)

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Very curious to see how much chasing we get today, lots of people unsure what would happen or were outright bearish and now they are caught offsides. You normally don't want to sell ATH as there is a chance this has some legs for weeks BUT for me I may sell if I see enough FOMO and squeeze but that is market timing and I trust myself to manage getting back in.

The flip side to this outcome is that there are too many people like myself who wanted this 570 and are too quick to take profits. Option Exp tomorrow and there are going to be a lot of calls paying bigly if they can't stop this train.

I guess I wont be buying anything today.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I have covered AMZN calls expiring tomorrow that are now $4 in the money . Will have to either roll it out , take the hit or let them go. Considering my choices in that order.

This is a nice set up to be selling my monthly calls.

• 1Thoughts & Prayers

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I have covered AMZN calls expiring tomorrow that are now $4 in the money . Will have to either roll it out , take the hit or let them go. Considering my choices in that order.

This is a nice set up to be selling my monthly calls.
$4 is pretty chunky. Normally I would say no dice, but the way the market is moving lately its possible they end up safe.

edit: Forgot to add, I was thinking the same thing on the covered calls. Wrote the TSLA $300 strike expiring next month. Got $2.83 premium

Last edited: