It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
They're killing it this season.

It's also continuing the very dark trend, but I like it.
If you've seen the placard for the season that they've given to Amazon and the like, it seemed to imply darkness too - likely intentional.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you've seen the placard for the season that they've given to Amazon and the like, it seemed to imply darkness too - likely intentional.
What? You mean the poster for this season?

its_always_sunny_in_philadelphia_ver13_xlg.jpg

They always do goofy shit for these, I doubt it has much importance beyond what they think looks interesting. It's not like previous seasons were particularly in theme with their posters.

Season 10
poster-its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-season-10.jpg

Season 9
sunny_s9_tca_poster_notune_FULL.jpg

Season 8
740full-it's-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-poster.jpg

Season 7
its-always-sunny-in-philadelphia-season-7-poster.jpg

As for being intentionally darker, yeah no shit.

Vaclav

Shrug - I just know it was the initial thought the wife and I had with the placard -- "That looks like a horror movie poster - weird for the show to do that" was a conversation we had when it came up in the TiVo listings well in advance of the season starting. And lo and behold tons of dark themes, especially the suburbs episode.

If they didn't do it as a foreshadow this time it would be a tad odd to me. Dark season with a dark poster - if it's just a coincidence vs. intentional I'd be surprised. Every other season has been light, and had a light placard - the one they finally do that's dark is dark.

Devlin

Golden Squire
When has the show ever been light?

It's never been light, it's about five characters who are absolutely selfish pieces of shit, they don't even like each other. The original working title was "Jerks".

Vaclav

When has the show ever been light?

It's never been light, it's about five characters who are absolutely selfish pieces of shit, they don't even like each other. The original working title was "Jerks".
Comparatively I meant - lots of stuff treading on either being serious or about consequences - usually it's light in regards to consequence. Usually the impact of previous actions has been slight, ever since the "Squashing the Beef" one though, they've really been getting taken to task for past things that are haunting them.

Being a selfish piece of shit but never dealing with the consequences of it is remarkably lighter than only really Rickety Cricket showing any ravages of past events previous to the recent trend.

Although, do note, the Leprechaun episode could've easily fit in an old season for now - we'll see if their abductions don't come back to haunt them though with the trend so far....

Out of curiosity - would you call "You're the Worst" a dark or light show? Because they're similarly selfish, and besides the couple "feels" episodes it's remarkably light IMO. And even those I wouldn't call dark even, more drama category than comedy.

Devlin

Golden Squire
Never seen that show, Sunny is a darker version of Seinfeld, the characters are generally despicable but the situations they're in are what makes the show funny and the fact they're never successful makes them endearing.

IASIP is the absolute definition of black comedy.

Dennis is my absolute favourite character and he's dark as shit with his rape kit in the back of his car and talk of "the implications".

kitsune

Golden Knight of the Realm
The only bad thing about this season is the fact that the Cricket episode did not have him fall deeper into shit, effectively ending that trend (I think every other time he's been around his situation has just gotten worse). Not sure what else they could've done though, maybe have him lose a foot?

S:t patrick had me in stitches when Mac asked Charlie if he was drinking paint again. Goddamn Charlie is such a good actor

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Always Sunny has done much darker episodes before. I'm pretty sure the poster is just a poster and not some conscious theme

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Mac telling the group there are two gay guys on the cruise, and Charlie saying "So who's the other guy?" fucking killed me. The delivery on it was just perfect.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
Curious to see how that plays out, if they show more "gay" side of Mac for the rest of the season.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm guessing that in the next episode he takes it back and goes back into denial.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Mac's logic at the end, which goes something kind of like this "God would never make me gay, so I sucked a dick and turns out I liked it, therefore God doesn't exist!", murdered me.

I loved this episode.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"You could never turn me gay"

*Five minutes later*

"I'm gay"

Honestly, it's not like relationships have ever been a big part of the show in general. The closest thing the show has ever had to a long term romantic relationship is Charlie stalking the Waitress. So Mac being openly gay won't really change the character much. They'll get some mileage out of him trolling for dudes, but his behavior from the last 3-4 seasons has been plenty gay so it's not like him acknowledging it will change it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
No, but a good portion of the humor was the fact that he was doing gay shit while completely unaware that he was in fact gay. Him coming out takes away most of the comedic value of those bits.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I think Mac will turn back this next episode, or no more than this season. They might wring it for an episode or two then have something happen where he repents and blames the devil.