JRPGs

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
France is a weird location IMO and the male characters seem to be missing some testosterone...but I didn't see this linked anywhere in the past few pages.

Siliconemelons

France is a weird location IMO and the male characters seem to be missing some testosterone...but I didn't see this linked anywhere in the past few pages.

It was posted somewhere… it really seems off, but that’s mostly because i have never seen a French take on a JRPG so, well there ya go

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Demo has been out for a few days and I've seen some streamers playing it. Full party with some open world and combat in the demo. Not exactly like Trials of Mana but similar.
edit: noticed that it has Denuvo, so fuck that at best it's a 60% off game next year if they ever remove it.

Last edited:

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Played it for about 30 minutes. Voice acting is...not the best. Combat was ok I guess. Travel was too much spam of voice lines (same ones). I just alt+f4 after running around in the big open area after I got the mounts.

Wasn't "bad", but didn't hook me at all. Depends on reviews, but as it stands, not going to get it anytime soon.
Also, if you can't afford or want to take the cost of good/great voice actors, make it text.

Siliconemelons

And this Lunar?

Yup

Your not helping, now I really am going to have to play them lol.

Lunar to me, is a perfect JRPG, I dare say it is a Tolkien -esque type as now days it is "just one big trope" - however I argue that it is foundational and also done so well that it sets the stage and high bar.

I think Lunar SSSC PSX version is the best, there are some newer ones that expand on some things and had a few different translations - the only real thing any of those give /imo/ is the faries in the magic emperor tower. The music, story, characters, even the game mechanics were done in a classic, but just a bit more advanced way than things before it. Now days, things just go crazy convoluted. Also Lunar and Lodoss War have a similar ending scene with the hero and heroine - its great. Lunar 2, is good...never beat the final boss- and it has some parts to it that are difficult to accept because 1 was so awesome you just want more of 1, but that is not what 2 is...it has allusions and similarities, but it hits different.

Wild Arms, and Wild Arms 3 are great games. Wild Arms was a random Best Buy purchase, it and Sueidoken were sitting in the $19.99 Playstation bin... I kinda got a little overwhelmed reading the back of Suidoken...and I never had played a /western/ RPG..so, Wild Arms it was.

Then I put it in and that Anime opening hits with the music... bam hooked - I need to finish my ps3 remake of it, or start over...its been many moons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TBT-TheBigToe

Gemcutter
<Gold Donor>
Your not helping, now I really am going to have to play them
Happy Well Done GIF

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Sitting a few feet away. Sadly EQ/Quake took up way too much time of my life in that period so never beat any of them =/

1722870512353.png

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Aazrael

So it's getting colder and darker outside and I want a game to play on my Steam Deck when I cozy down in the bed or sofa.

I have mainly played Final Fantasy (1 to 16) as my JRPGs with a few others sprinkled in, Xenogears and other PS1-3 era games.

If you could recommend one game what would it be? Preferably available on Steam. Old School or modern graphics does not matter as long as the game and story is solid.

Nulolan

Golden Knight of the Realm
So it's getting colder and darker outside and I want a game to play on my Steam Deck when I cozy down in the bed or sofa.

I have mainly played Final Fantasy (1 to 16) as my JRPGs with a few others sprinkled in, Xenogears and other PS1-3 era games.

If you could recommend one game what would it be? Preferably available on Steam. Old School or modern graphics does not matter as long as the game and story is solid.

Dragon Quest 11 was pretty good.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>

I'd recommend the entire Dragon Quest series.

Only issue with it is that some of them are kind of difficult to play. DQ10 isn't available in the US unless someone translated a ROM of the single-player version when I wasn't looking. DQ9 is only available for the Nintendo DS. DQ6 and 7 are both way too long. However you really can't go wrong with DQ1-5, 8, and 11. Also, this would keep someone busy for months and be a pretty enjoyable time for those few months.

As for best ways to play each, since there are like a zillion versions:

DQ1 - Mobile version if you want some QOL or emulate the NES original if you want retro. There's a Switch remake on the way but not until next year. All of the first 3 games are getting one, but I'd recommend playing them in their more original forms anyway.
DQ2 - Mobile version if you want some QOL or emulate the NES original if you want retro.
DQ3 - Emulate the SNES version, or the NES original if you're still liking the retro style.
DQ4 - Emulate the NES original. If you've got a 3DS you can run the DQ4 remake but I prefer the NES version TBH.
DQ5 - Same as DQ4 except it's a SNES game.
DQ6 - Same as DQ4 except it's a SNES game. Reccomend a translated ROM of the original for this and 5.
DQ7 - If you've got a 3DS, that version is way superior to the PS1 version, so this is the first one I'd recommend not going with the original version for.
DQ8 - PS2 version. This has been remade but the original's actually prettier and plays better.
DQ9 - Only available on DS
DQ11 - Switch version has more content than the PS4 version IIRC, including an entire 2D version of the game in SNES style that's actually really good/worth playing. Kinda two games in one.

TLDR: Emulate the original versions of DQ1-6, skip 7 unless you have a 3DS, PS2 version of 8, skip 9 unless 3DS, Switch version of 11.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Aazrael

Yea I have the option to play the games emulated on the Steam Deck. I probably have many of them allready on my ROM partition. Not sure how good it works if it is a NDS game though. The games using a second screen seems like it can be annoying.

The Dragon Quest games have always been on my list for sure. I just fell off the JRPG genre a few years ago.

I seem to have narrowed down a few games. The Dragon Quest games, Persona 3-5, Chrono Trigger and the Octopath Traveler 1/2. But damn Steam charge an arm and a leg for these games.

Many Youtubers recommend Chained Echoes. Seems like a one developer game that gets a lot of praise.