JRPGs

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
Yea I have the option to play the games emulated on the Steam Deck. I probably have many of them allready on my ROM partition. Not sure how good it works if it is a NDS game though. The games using a second screen seems like it can be annoying.

The Dragon Quest games have always been on my list for sure. I just fell off the JRPG genre a few years ago.

I seem to have narrowed down a few games. The Dragon Quest games, Persona 3-5, Chrono Trigger and the Octopath Traveler 1/2. But damn Steam charge an arm and a leg for these games.

Many Youtubers recommend Chained Echoes. Seems like a one developer game that gets a lot of praise.

Persona 5 is really well done and prefect for playing on a couch in short bursts (once you get past the intro parts). If you have never played a Persona game before it is worth trying. Dragon quest 11 is also great to get that old JRPG feel with a modern looking game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Siliconemelons

Lunar 1 and 2 PSX version

Wild Arms PSX the PS3 remake is good, go with the style you like

If you like Wild Arms, there are 5, 3 is the best of the sequels imo

Sea of Stars is great retro modern rpg in the vein of ChronoTrigger battle and map style

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
might be more actiony than i'm looking for. but that gives me a snes rpg boner for sure.

If you haven't played their first game CrossCode, it's quite good. Very large, lots of hours in it for the price (30++). Sameish style in a somewhat futuristic setting.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
So it's getting colder and darker outside and I want a game to play on my Steam Deck when I cozy down in the bed or sofa.

I have mainly played Final Fantasy (1 to 16) as my JRPGs with a few others sprinkled in, Xenogears and other PS1-3 era games.

If you could recommend one game what would it be? Preferably available on Steam. Old School or modern graphics does not matter as long as the game and story is solid.
Chained Echoes, Tactics Ogre, Octopath 2, Wandering Sword, Symphony of War, Crystal Project, Children of Morta, Time Break Chronicles, Fell Seal, Dreamscaper, Chair Fucking Simulator.

All good choices.

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Yea I have the option to play the games emulated on the Steam Deck. I probably have many of them allready on my ROM partition. Not sure how good it works if it is a NDS game though. The games using a second screen seems like it can be annoying.

The Dragon Quest games have always been on my list for sure. I just fell off the JRPG genre a few years ago.

I seem to have narrowed down a few games. The Dragon Quest games, Persona 3-5, Chrono Trigger and the Octopath Traveler 1/2. But damn Steam charge an arm and a leg for these games.

Many Youtubers recommend Chained Echoes. Seems like a one developer game that gets a lot of praise.

Out of all of those, Chrono Trigger is the best game by a wide margin (and was made by some of the DQ devs). However the DQ series is just such a big, meaty series that's perfect for playing in Fall and Winter. I did that back in 2001 (the whole series up to that point which was 1-7) and have a ton of good memories of it.

I'd say play CT first, then the DQ series. CT is fairly short. Or you could drop it into the DQ series where it'd fall originally (Between DQ5 and 6). Also, since they're in the same art style and both contain time travel, DQ11 feels like a sequel to CT in a way.

Don't feel like you have to play all of the DQ series. There's little to no continuity between games (outside of the first three being a trilogy) and those jackasses never brought DQ10 over here. So if you can't reliably emulate DS stuff, then just skip over DQ7 and 9. They're two of the more mid entries anyway. I envy you getting to play 1/2/3/4/5/6/8/11 for the first time, for sure, as some of those are pretty damn awesome. DQ2's a little rough around the edges/tough (it's similar to an 80's Ultima game in some ways) and DQ6 is long/at times boring, but it's such a great series that I even had fun with the ones that have issues. Emulator frameskip will make some of the requisite grinding go by faster.

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I might try an SMT one of these days. Really curious about that series as a Persona fan who liked the persona fusion / dungeon crawling / elemental weakness based gameplay side of those games but wasn't into the High School Simulator or time-wasting activities. SMT sounds like it's what I want. First two are pretty archaic now so probably not gonna start at the beginning like I usually do when I play a series.

SMT5 just got an improved re-release and SMT3: Nocturne's remake is super cheap. However the one that intrigues me the most from what I've seen is actually SMT4 (original, not the Apocalypse sequel). Too bad it's trapped on the 3DS, which I have, but don't really enjoy playing on as much as consoles due to how small the buttons and controls are. I'll take any suggestions on which SMT is worth running first.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for the suggestions!

I think I will start light with Chrono Trigger then Chained Echoes. CT always get high praise and seems to be a shorter game to start out with.

Will probably check out Persona 5 after that or dive into the big library that is Dragon Quest.

• 1Like

Aazrael

Just checked through my Steam Deck Roms folder. On NES I have Dragon Warrior 1-4 and on SNES Dragon Quest 1,2,3,5,6. Not sure why 4 is missing on SNES unless it's on another System, PS1 maybe?

Also noticed Wild Arms 1 and 2 in the PS1 emulator, are they good games?

And it seems I have Chrono Trigger in the SNES folder. Should be fine to play unless the Steam version is much better for some reason ($14).

Goonsquad Officer
Phantasy star 4 for genesis is also very good. Cool use of comic panels for storytelling. Dungeons can be brutal

• 1Like

Nulolan

Golden Knight of the Realm
Phantasy star 4 for genesis is also very good. Cool use of comic panels for storytelling. Dungeons can be brutal

Phantasy Star 2 is pretty good too, not as good as 4 admittedly. The dungeons are super convoluted so I would definitely recommend maps.

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider

Persona games on sale right now. Persona 5 Royal for $24 is worth it.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Like

Aazrael

Persona games on sale right now. Persona 5 Royal for $24 is worth it.

Damn, Thanks for the tip! I did add tons to my wishlist yesterday but nothing was on sale! Think I might start with Persona 5. Everyone seems to like it.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Just checked through my Steam Deck Roms folder. On NES I have Dragon Warrior 1-4 and on SNES Dragon Quest 1,2,3,5,6. Not sure why 4 is missing on SNES unless it's on another System, PS1 maybe?

Also noticed Wild Arms 1 and 2 in the PS1 emulator, are they good games?

And it seems I have Chrono Trigger in the SNES folder. Should be fine to play unless the Steam version is much better for some reason ($14).

DQ4 never got a SNES version, unfortunately. By the time DQ3 was done on SNES, the PS1 was out, so they remade DQ4 for that. PS1 DQ4 made it to the US as the DS version.

The SNES versions of DQ1-3 are really cool.

• 1Like

Needless

Toe Sucker
Damn, Thanks for the tip! I did add tons to my wishlist yesterday but nothing was on sale! Think I might start with Persona 5. Everyone seems to like it.
5 is great, lots of QOL shit
absurdly long game though lol

• 1Like

Aazrael

I did start with Chrono Trigger. Kind of refreshing to play a game with no pointing arrows etc again. But on the other hand it can be tough to figure out what to click or where to go sometimes. :)

I dont think Im very far into it yet though. Got to the End of Time zone last night.

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
I might try an SMT one of these days. Really curious about that series as a Persona fan who liked the persona fusion / dungeon crawling / elemental weakness based gameplay side of those games but wasn't into the High School Simulator or time-wasting activities. SMT sounds like it's what I want. First two are pretty archaic now so probably not gonna start at the beginning like I usually do when I play a series.

SMT5 just got an improved re-release and SMT3: Nocturne's remake is super cheap. However the one that intrigues me the most from what I've seen is actually SMT4 (original, not the Apocalypse sequel). Too bad it's trapped on the 3DS, which I have, but don't really enjoy playing on as much as consoles due to how small the buttons and controls are. I'll take any suggestions on which SMT is worth running first.

Nobody here's familiar with SMT? Really?

Going to give Nocturne a try and if I really like it, perhaps do 3-4-5. Much like the first two games in the Persona series, the first two SMTs are borderline lost media at this point and different enough that I'll probably just leave them alone (like Persona1+2)

Vorph

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I've played almost every SMT game; main series, spin-offs, Persona, etc. Nocturne is definitely the right place to start, and I would agree that 1 & 2 are so archaic at this point that there's no real point in bothering. Just read a plot summary of the neutral path if you want to know what happened. 4 is excellent, I've never really understood the hate for Apoc, and the updated version of 5 is definitely worth getting even though I'm still pissed at Atlus for how they fucked over people who bought the original version.

Atlus is rumored to be going all-in on remaking a big chunk of the older games, so hopefully it won't be too long before people can get to play the first two (technically 3) Personas and Digital Devil Saga 1&2 with modern QOL features. I kind of doubt the 3DS games will ever escape from Nintendo though, which is too bad because there's a lot more than just SMT 4 there. The Devil Survivor games were great, but since they already got ported and enhanced once from DS to 3DS, I'm not too optimistic about them getting another port to the Switch (2). Probably not much chance of Soul Hackers getting redone either, since I don't think Soul Hackers 2 was considered a success.

Last edited:

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Just to echo Vorph, Nocturne/4/5 are all great and worth playing if interested in the franchise. Just make sure to get the recent rerelease of 5, it's excellent. You'll probably just have to emulate 4/4A at this point(hugs my physical copies).

Aazrael

When you play a retro game you really feel the difference from modern games. I am so used to be hand held through the story so when you suddenly need to figure out where to go and what to do on your own it is really eye opening.

Making slow progress through Chrono trigger and I like it a lot but I have the sense of stress in the back of my mind that I need to finish it fast so I can play the other games I had planned. Need to work on this somehow and find the Chill and enjoy the current game I'm on. Tik Tok brain is the word for this right?

• 1Pathetic