Justice for Zimmerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Jesse Jackson on CNN earlier calling Florida South Africa lol.

I think he may have finally fully lost his mind.

Wasn't he standing next to MLK Jr when he was shot?

If only that fucker had missed MLK and hit Jackson instead...
JJ claimed King died in his arms but everyone there said that JJ was actually a floor below and not around the time of the shot.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
I logged into my facebook and saw a feed from Judge Mathis. lol.

rrr_img_36741.png

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I logged into my facebook and saw a feed from Judge Mathis. lol.

rrr_img_36741.png
Oh silly ollisha, you need to read the timeline. FGT She goes on to talk about Zimmerman fans. Are we on a different planet? I haven't seen jack shit in support of GZ. Its like they're just throwing him to the wolves.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
Because the worthless dipshits who believe they become emotionally involved in any tear-jerking story the media whips up believe this kid was a sweet, innocent, young angel with a promising life ahead of him. The reality of the situation isn't appealing so it isn't broadcasted. What's funny is how many fuckers are talking about taking out Zimmerman on Facebook; like law enforcement or anyone with half a brain can't just simply read it themselves.

Nester

Vyemm Raider
I read earlier in this post a timeline of the media railroading GZ, i just did a crazy search for it and can not find it, anyone able to assist?

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>

Bill Cosby in an interview with the "DomNnate Radio Show":

"This racial stuff goes into a whole bunch of discussion which has stuff that you can't prove. You can't prove somebody is a racist unless they really come out and do the act and is found to be that."

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
Piers Morgan actually tried the "ebonics is a language" argument lol
What a fucking pathetic piece of shit.
"Black English"? For fuck's sake, giving shitty English a name doesn't legitimize it. It is still horrible English that, at the least, evidences poor education. Learn to speak properly, it isn't hard to obtain a decent grasp of the language.
You shouldn't be able to sign up for twitter or text until you can pass at least a middle school level English test.
Of course, "Ebonics" is a language. Language is what allows you to communicate ideas to others. When you grow up in an area where your friends and family speak a certain way, especially if you're exposed primarily to this way of speaking during your critical phase (before you turn 13 or so), that's the way you'll end up speaking. Your friends and family will understand you, and you will understand them, so you'll all be speaking the same language. I'm not saying we should teach "Ebonics" in school or even consider it as an acceptable substitute for "conventional" English (if there is such a thing). After all, as has been pointed out, if the person giving you a job interview isn't a friend or family member, you're likely to have a hard time convincing him you're right for the job.

Saying "it isn't hard to obtain a decent grasp of the language" is kind of stupid, though, for a few reasons. One, Jeantel has a flawless grasp of the language she grew up with. We all do. We learn languages primarily through exposure, and eventually whatever we're exposed to we become fluent at (assuming the exposure started during the critical phase). During childhood, your brain is very plastic and is exceptional at absorbing external stimuli. If a child is exposed primarily to Ebonics, he will become fluent in Ebonics. If he's exposed primarily to Klingon, he will be fluent in Klingon. Whatever version of whatever language (or languages) you are consistently exposed to, you will become fluent in.
Two, once you're past your critical phase, it becomes much more difficult to become fluent in another language. The brain has lost much of its plasticity, so learning another language (or even another version of the one you speak) takes a concerted effort and a lot of focused practice. This is why adults who move here from another country will never lose their accents (unless they try really, really hard to), but their kids (who are exposed to "standard" English at school and with their friends) will have no accent at all.
Three, maybe I'm a little biased (as a language teacher) but I didn't have any trouble understanding what Jeantel was saying. I found her demeanor irritating and she definitely gave me the impression she wasn't very smart, but I can say the absolute same thing about many of you guys. Sure you consider your version of English "better" than hers, but here are a few things that stuck out to me in the last few pages I read:
- Use of "women" as a singular.
- Use of "loose" instead of "lose".
- Use of "would of" instead of "would have".
- Use of "where" instead of "were".
Obviously you're all fluent in English, and yet you clearly haven't perfected the language yet. I'm not judging here, you don't have to perfect the language. All of those mistakes didn't interfere with the meanings you were trying to get across, so from a communicative point of view you can keep making those mistakes. Jeantel can communicate just find with the people she interacts with on a daily basis. It's not a "right" English vs "wrong" English dichotomy here, it's lots of grey areas that only ever have meaning based on the context in which they are used.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
There is an infinite amount of potential languages if you make such a broad definition, one of the reasons the white man dominated the indians is they spoke too many different languages it separated their cultures and hindered their ability to cooperate with eachother, all the romance languages are based off latin, Senatus Populusque Romanus.

So in the interests of cooperation in a global economy learn english, it's the language of power(it used to be latin), learn chinese too it will be useful.

In 1492 there were some 500 different languages spoken by the Native Americans north of Mexico

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
My son that's about to go into kindergarten sometimes says "Mines" instead of mine. "Oh this one is mines" It drives me nuts. The school is really diverse but it's expensive. Everyone speaks proper English. I'm assuming he got it from one of the teachers aids or something. But it kills me, he just sounds ridiculous.
Your son is at the phase where he's observing grammatical patterns and trying to apply them to his own speech. This is normal, and a good thing! He's very likely often heard the possessive used with an "s" ("Mommy's", "Daddy's", "his", "hers", "yours"), so his brain is deducing that he should append an "s" in any case regarding possessive pronouns. The teacher's aides likely had nothing to do with it. Don't worry, eventually he'll figure out that "mine" is an exception and won't make that mistake any more.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Of course, "Ebonics" is a language. Language is what allows you to communicate ideas to others. When you grow up in an area where your friends and family speak a certain way, especially if you're exposed primarily to this way of speaking during your critical phase (before you turn 13 or so), that's the way you'll end up speaking. Your friends and family will understand you, and you will understand them, so you'll all be speaking the same language. I'm not saying we should teach "Ebonics" in school or even consider it as an acceptable substitute for "conventional" English (if there is such a thing). After all, as has been pointed out, if the person giving you a job interview isn't a friend or family member, you're likely to have a hard time convincing him you're right for the job.
Saying "it isn't hard to obtain a decent grasp of the language" is kind of stupid, though, for a few reasons. One, Jeantel has a flawless grasp of the language she grew up with. We all do. We learn languages primarily through exposure, and eventually whatever we're exposed to we become fluent at (assuming the exposure started during the critical phase). During childhood, your brain is very plastic and is exceptional at absorbing external stimuli. If a child is exposed primarily to Ebonics, he will become fluent in Ebonics. If he's exposed primarily to Klingon, he will be fluent in Klingon. Whatever version of whatever language (or languages) you are consistently exposed to, you will become fluent in.
Two, once you're past your critical phase, it becomes much more difficult to become fluent in another language. The brain has lost much of its plasticity, so learning another language (or even another version of the one you speak) takes a concerted effort and a lot of focused practice. This is why adults who move here from another country will never lose their accents (unless they try really, really hard to), but their kids (who are exposed to "standard" English at school and with their friends) will have no accent at all.
Three, maybe I'm a little biased (as a language teacher) but I didn't have any trouble understanding what Jeantel was saying. I found her demeanor irritating and she definitely gave me the impression she wasn't very smart, but I can say the absolute same thing about many of you guys. Sure you consider your version of English "better" than hers, but here are a few things that stuck out to me in the last few pages I read:
- Use of "women" as a singular.
- Use of "loose" instead of "lose".
- Use of "would of" instead of "would have".
- Use of "where" instead of "were".
Obviously you're all fluent in English, and yet you clearly haven't perfected the language yet. I'm not judging here, you don't have to perfect the language. All of those mistakes didn't interfere with the meanings you were trying to get across, so from a communicative point of view you can keep making those mistakes. Jeantel can communicate just find with the people she interacts with on a daily basis. It's not a "right" English vs "wrong" English dichotomy here, it's lots of grey areas that only ever have meaning based on the context in which they are used.
qimR2ui.png

Status
Not open for further replies.