Justice for Zimmerman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I am going to be lazy and not thoroughly read through the majority of this thread that I have missed before spewing forth my own opinions. But that's ok because my opinions carry more weight than your anyways.

Everyone profiles everyone they see, everyday. It is ingrained in our heads to quickly identify and assess every person we come across. The conclusions we make differ greatly based on our past experiences and the beliefs we hold and the cultures we belong to. Noticing if someone is looking at you is one of the most acute senses a person has. It is because if a person is looking at you, they might be assessing you and therefore might take action against you. So being aware of what people are doing and why they are doing it, and then trying to surmise what they might do next, is something that happens 1000 times a day.

I do not think race had much to do with the Zimmerman and Martin Situation. Being from different subcultures had more of an impact on the outcome than being from differing races.

Zimmerman showed that potential theft was a large concern of his, a very large concern. He essentially had a siege mentality and every unknown person entering his territory needed to be identified for him to feel safe. I believe that he might not have been following Martin initially, but when Martin got nervous and started to try and evade Zimmerman, eventually running away, that set off all the alarms in Zimmerman's head, so he chased after him.

This created a confrontation between two paranoid and nervous men. One believes he is protecting his home, the other believes he is protecting his life. There is a lack of common ground between the two, and assumptions are being made back and forth. Then the conflict turns physical. And once Zimmerman starts taking blows to the head he chooses to shoot.

Zimmerman, via the 911 call, assumed Martin was "up to no good". Martin assumed Zimmerman was a potential rapist. They profiled each other and missed every opportunity to convince the other party that they were wrong. If Zimmerman had properly identified himself to Trayvon, or if Trayvon had not run away, or Zimmerman had simply let the kid run off... we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But the two men showed arrogance in believing their assumptions of the other being correct. And were scared enough of the potential outcomes of any interaction to be on guard and eventually act on those assumptions.

I believe Zimmerman holds the majority of the responsibility because he pursued Trayvon against the direction of the 911 operator. He was told not to follow him and ignored this directive, because he assumed he was correct. If he had listened, he would not have been attacked by a scared kid and would not have had to then defend himself. So the full acquittal he received seems very unsatisfactory. He created the situation that lead to Trayvon's death by disregarding a trained professional's direct calls not to pursue him.

That sounds like criminally negligent manslaughter due to recklessness to me.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I am going to be lazy and not thoroughly read through the majority of this thread that I have missed before spewing forth my own opinions. But that's ok because my opinions carry more weight than your anyways.

Everyone profiles everyone they see, everyday. It is ingrained in our heads to quickly identify and assess every person we come across. The conclusions we make differ greatly based on our past experiences and the beliefs we hold and the cultures we belong to. Noticing if someone is looking at you is one of the most acute senses a person has. It is because if a person is looking at you, they might be assessing you and therefore might take action against you. So being aware of what people are doing and why they are doing it, and then trying to surmise what they might do next, is something that happens 1000 times a day.

I do not think race had much to do with the Zimmerman and Martin Situation. Being from different subcultures had more of an impact on the outcome than being from differing races.

Zimmerman showed that potential theft was a large concern of his, a very large concern. He essentially had a siege mentality and every unknown person entering his territory needed to be identified for him to feel safe. I believe that he might not have been following Martin initially, but when Martin got nervous and started to try and evade Zimmerman, eventually running away, that set off all the alarms in Zimmerman's head, so he chased after him.

This created a confrontation between two paranoid and nervous men. One believes he is protecting his home, the other believes he is protecting his life. There is a lack of common ground between the two, and assumptions are being made back and forth. Then the conflict turns physical. And once Zimmerman starts taking blows to the head he chooses to shoot.

Zimmerman, via the 911 call, assumed Martin was "up to no good". Martin assumed Zimmerman was a potential rapist. They profiled each other and missed every opportunity to convince the other party that they were wrong. If Zimmerman had properly identified himself to Trayvon, or if Trayvon had not run away, or Zimmerman had simply let the kid run off... we wouldn't be having this discussion.

But the two men showed arrogance in believing their assumptions of the other being correct. And were scared enough of the potential outcomes of any interaction to be on guard and eventually act on those assumptions.

I believe Zimmerman holds the majority of the responsibility because he pursued Trayvon against the direction of the 911 operator. He was told not to follow him and ignored this directive, because he assumed he was correct. If he had listened, he would not have been attacked by a scared kid and would not have had to then defend himself. So the full acquittal he received seems very unsatisfactory. He created the situation that lead to Trayvon's death by disregarding a trained professional's direct calls not to pursue him.

Hand in the auto generated law degree you get when you sign up to the forums.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider

Hodj will explain it all for you...

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm

holy fuck I take it you didnt read the thread or watch the trial at all

It was a 311 call not 911,
Zimmerman didnt ignore advice and continue to follow
Operator essentially told Zimmerman to follow at one point
Martin wasnt scared for his life if he was at his house then back peddled across the neighborhood and tracked Zimmerman down

ziggyholiday

<Bronze Donator>
Step 1: Call for the removal of all white people from political office
Step 2: Call everyone else racist in the thread
Step 3: Declare everyone else is race baiting
Step 4: ????????
Step 5: PROFIT!
You forgot the part where two posts later you claim DC is full of reasonable people that can come up with a solution to this problem.......so which is it, are the worthless horrible people that should be fired or can they fix the problems?

Fedor

<Banned>

replace didn't read with didn't watch the trial, didn't look at the evidence, etc.

im2sI1BUOGHnZ.gif

iannis

Musty Nester

Zimmerman DID simply let the kid run off. The kid came back.

I understand not reading the entire thread -- but man, read the 1st post.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Its really stunningly funny how this just keeps happening over and over isn't it?

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider

Once again, opinions based on things that have already proven to be incorrect.

1. He did not follow Martin against the 'directive' of the operator . He was already out of the car when asked ( not told) he didn't need to follow him. He was out of the car in the first place because the operator asked him 'where is he'.

2. The operator asked ( not told since they have no authority to order you) him to stop. He says ok. At that point, there is zero evidence that proves that Zim kept pursuing.

3. It was not illegal to get out of his car or to walk in his neighborhood. It doesn't matter how scared Martin was ( and the 4 minute gap goes against him being scared), that dies not give him the right to attack Zim.

4. Saying he 'created' the situation is the same as saying a woman created the situation if getting raped because she wore revealing clothing.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This narrative that Zimmerman followed a scared kid against orders who then panicked (who wouldn't!) really has legs.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
This seems like one of the more egregious racist summations I've seen. To me it reads, "Zimmerman, being a rational non-black, bears the responsibility even though he did nothing wrong. Trayvon, being a black male, is little more than an animal and can't be blamed for attacking someone for following them.".

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm wondering why the actions of Martin are ignored/dismissed simply based on a) his age b)he was scared (not proven btw). 17 year olds who shoot up people/rob/commit crimes don't get absolved of their actions because of their age. They get tried as adults most of the time.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
I'm wondering why the actions of Martin are ignored/dismissed simply based on a) his age b)he was scared (not proven btw). 17 year olds who shoot up people/rob/commit crimes don't get absolved of their actions because of their age. They get tried as adults most of the time.
Troubled youths are swept under the rug, where have you been?

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's small but Zimmerman didn't call 911. He called 311, a non-emergency number, as there was no emergency. Witnesses called 911 later after Trayvon doubled back and started kicking the shit out of Zimmerman. By saying he called 911 having seen a black kid walking around it makes it sound like he overreacted from the very start.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
How the hell was Martin scared if he was in front of his house and then decided to go back and track Zimmerman down and attack him

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
This narrative that Zimmerman followed a scared kid against orders who then panicked (who wouldn't!) really has legs.
Blame the media. This line of bullshit was constantly fed by the media when the case got started and most people will eat whatever shit the media is shoveling them.

iannis

Musty Nester
This seems like one of the more egregious racist summations I've seen. To me it reads, "Zimmerman, being a rational non-black, bears the responsibility even though he did nothing wrong. Trayvon, being a black male, is little more than an animal and can't be blamed for attacking someone for following them.".
That's basically the heart of the argument, trying to apply that I don't know what it is. It's not even a double standard. And people that know better (not should know better, they do know better) are buying it and selling it.

Obama saying he could have been travyon 35 years ago is about as credible as Bill Clinton saying some dumbfuck redneck living in a trailer park in arkansas could been him 35 years ago. No, not even a little bit.

It REALLY must have pissed them off when Zimflam's defense lawyers decided not to even bother with a SYG defense. This has been about gun control since day Zim was charged.

AWB was just a wasted opportunity, this is an even greater failure than that was.

Edit: It's like the meta-strategy is to pit the NAACP against the NRA. Yeah, that's gonna go over really fucking well.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
I was simple stating that if you create a situation were a person feels threatened enough to defend themselves, you take on the responsibility of what results. If I were to chase women down alleyways and they maced, tazed or shot me, I would bear the responsibility of having created the situation in the first place. That's it.

Reviewing the first post I see I was wrong.The initial pursuit, up to the point where the 911 operator tells Zimmerman to stop is about as much understanding of it as I had. If Zimmerman's position really did not change, then Trayvon had to return to him.

The part I don't like however is that during that depiction, Trayvon has to be moving towards a stationary Zimmerman while stating Zimmerman is following him. That does not make any sense. I think when Zimmerman caught sight of Trayvon again he started to approach him, right before the confrontation.

Status
Not open for further replies.