Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
It was good, but the topic just pisses me off
frown.png
I'm not even mad at the televangelists honestly. I mean...more power to them for making insane millions of dollars to have those homes and jets. I just makes me hate this fucking country and middle america for actually sending this fuckbags money. If retards stopped doing that shit they would be poor nobodies or at least forced to pursue another ponzi scheme.

We have no one to blame but ourselves.

Jimbolini

Semi-pro Monopoly player
It was good, but the topic just pisses me off
frown.png
I'm not even mad at the televangelists honestly. I mean...more power to them for making insane millions of dollars to have those homes and jets. I just makes me hate this fucking country and middle america for actually sending this fuckbags money. If retards stopped doing that shit they would be poor nobodies or at least forced to pursue another ponzi scheme.

We have no one to blame but ourselves.
While I agree with this, people giving idiotic amounts of money to religions (Priests, Rabbi, etc) is a worldwide problem. (It just seems we tend to be more creative when it comes to our hucksters)

khalid

Unelected Mod
Also, many of the people giving money are the elderly and sick. They are taking advantage of vulnerable people.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Swindling idiots out of money isn't exclusive to a religion or anything. It is basically the cornerstone of QVC being in business as well.

Cybsled

People have exploited stuff like that forever. There was an incident in Pakistan recently where some religious figure was trying to sell some charms to women and one woman said they were just trying to scam poor people, so he claimed she was a blasphemer and mob mentality took over the sheep and they murdered her.

Never under estimate how easily people will believe religious "leaders" or "figureheads".

moontayle

Golden Squire
The sad part is that those are the people who also desperately believe that it's okay for the wealthy to not be taxed as much because "that might be me someday".

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The sad thing is this is happening to one of our own. Convo is being swindled out of his money by an MMORPG religious figurehead! Send help!

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Also, many of the people giving money are the elderly and sick. They are taking advantage of vulnerable people.
Vulnerable doesn't have to mean stupid.

I have no problem with people donating to their church or whatever, particularly in small towns where churches are the after school programs, homeless shelters, food banks etc. That's all fine.

But paying the lupus away? Or that douche-nozzle talking about how he went and bought a bigger jet, etc.... I mean the whole "plant your seed" bullshit....Deep down inside I really want to believe no one is that dumb, but then I fucking encounter them every god-damn day
frown.png

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Yeah, I love a lot of his stuff, but his whole stumping for the SJWs and trannies was utter garbage.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Swindling idiots out of money isn't exclusive to a religion or anything. It is basically the cornerstone of QVC being in business as well.
Fuck you, pal. I love my flameless candles!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The sad thing is this is happening to one of our own. Convo is being swindled out of his money by an MMORPG religious figurehead! Send help!
It's not just Convo. Some of us in the Star Citizen thread are pretty big saps too.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Not that it is an eye-opening revelation or anything, but people just like having answers. Religion in general is pretty vague on most shit, with the answers being "..god did it" for the most part. For a lot of people, by attacking their religion, you are attacking the safety of their entire world. Clearly not the intended effect, but that is generally the outcome. If you claim to have all the answers (or at least some) and phrase it in the right way, people will flock to you. Especially if you attach it to the banner of the already vague "god did it" mentality. Good on Oliver for really bringing this into the limelight, but even if he outs a few televangelical folks, there are -tons- of con artists waiting to take advantage of people who simply just want simple answers to incredibly complex questions. It isn't just Churches either, as after the mainstreaming of eastern philosophy in the 60s/70s, there are tons of con artists working much smaller groups with that type of backing. For example,Kumareis a documentary on how you can easily fool people with implied mysticism and cryptically vague yet pleasing answers to complex questions. Add in a titheing scheme and you are basically one of the church scam artists for the hippie set.

Group think and the enticement of easy answers is a scary, yet expected, outcome.

spronk

FPS noob
yeah I am probably gonna vote for Trump but Oliver was pretty spot on there and made me a bit uncomfortable, even though I know all that shit. Its a pretty sad world when your only two choices are gonna be Hillary or Trump, but even sadder thinking that the only other real choices were gonna be Hillary vs Cruz or Hillary vs Rubio