Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
yeah I am probably gonna vote for Trump but Oliver was pretty spot on there and made me a bit uncomfortable, even though I know all that shit. Its a pretty sad world when your only two choices are gonna be Hillary or Trump, but even sadder thinking that the only other real choices were gonna be Hillary vs Cruz or Hillary vs Rubio
Crubio would be a trainwreck.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I wish he'd do more stuff like that, and less SJW bullshit. The last few episodes before this break have left me wanting to abandon ship.

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wish he'd do more stuff like that, and less SJW bullshit. The last few episodes before this break have left me wanting to abandon ship.
You're not a fan of watching a show just parroting biased liberal talking points completely and often times purposefully ignoring valid counter arguments? What is this currentyear?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Not sure I can deal with a season of nothing but unfunny Trump bashing. There's 10 other shows to fill that gap.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
that was a pretty funny promo, but yeah him and sam bee just yelling shrilly about how trump is bad mmmmk isn't that interesting or watchable

the rest of those shows though, fucking A i can't wait. its really too bad he couldn't get westworld in there too, BAD JOHN BAD

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
I skipped all the Trump junk after I heard it a couple times. His actual article pieces are worth watching.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yeah. Stewart wasn't afraid to go after Bush / Cheney, but his go-to target was FoxNews.

Olliver's go-to target does seem to be Trump.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Not sure I can deal with a season of nothing but unfunny Trump bashing. There's 10 other shows to fill that gap.
I liked Last Week Tonight more when it focused on the off-beat stories that don't get much media traction. The heavy Trump stuff in the lead up to the election was overdone and almost childish at points.

Hopefully it gets better. I still think John Oliver would have made a better Daily Show replacement.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, his expose pieces were always very good and if they focused on those more, I'm down.

• 1Solidarity

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah. Stewart wasn't afraid to go after Bush / Cheney, but his go-to target was FoxNews.

Olliver's go-to target does seem to be Trump.

It's such an easy target though, material essentially write itself. :)

That being said the show is at it's best when they do their expose on some stuff that isn't getting much coverage elsewhere.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
I thought he actually somewhat restrained himself when it came to the election, since most other shows went full steam ahead with the Trump bashing. The expose pieces are what most people watch the show for I think, if they cut the short skits and extended that, I'd be happy.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I still think John Oliver would have made a better Daily Show replacement.

That's not saying much. Trevor Noah seems like an interesting guy in interviews, but his Daily Show is unwatchable.

• 1Like

Brand

Molten Core Raider
That's not saying much. Trevor Noah seems like an interesting guy in interviews, but his Daily Show is unwatchable.

I used to watch the Daily Show...but I can't stand it now. It doesn't help that @Midnight has run it's course...Just a dead spot on the bedtime schedule that has been filled by Netflix and Amazon shows.

And agreed, the off-center topics like Mega Evangelical Church scams and FIFA are when John Oliver shines.

• 2Like

Screamfeeder

The Dirtbag
<Banned>
Yeah, he seems to be getting better but there are so many times while watching it that I just roll my eyes knowing Stewart would have done a much better job with the topic. I give the dude a few years before he grows into it. Took Stewart that long.

• 1Solidarity

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Trevor Noah isn't bad, but he's no Jon Stewart.

It's also gone from leaning left to full on left wing circle jerk.

I think Oliver's on par with Stewart as far as being funny, but going full out anti-Trump the last few episodes was really disappointing.

• 2Like

Soygen

<Nazi Janitors>
Trevor Noah is "ok". The writing team is terrible at TDS now. It's just not funny and I had to remove it from my DVR line-up; something I had never done before.

• 1Like