Last Week Tonight with John Oliver

Kellim

Silver Knight of the Realm
It's kinda hard to take on all comers when one party controls every branch of government at the national level and has total control of ~50% of the state's governments.

The vast majority of the policies that are being written are Republican policies.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's kinda hard to take on all comers when one party controls every branch of government at the national level and has total control of ~50% of the state's governments.

The vast majority of the policies that are being written are Republican policies.
It's true, but unless people start criticizing the DNC for being so incompetent that they lost an election to literally 'THIS GUY' then all the complaining is pretty useless.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sigh. I used to love this show. I didn't always agree with him but the exposes were decent on avg and sometimes really good, the jokes were usually funny and the little "How is this still a thing?" stuff could be hit or miss. Overall 30 minutes fairly well spent in an age where the Daily Show is now trash, Bill Maher lost his fucking mind, and there are no other alternatives.

I was seriously hoping we would come back, maybe bitch about Trump a little(obviously we knew that would happen) but then get back in to what he does best and what people liked. Instead the entire fucking episode was a cry-baby Trump rant based in half-truths. I'll give it another episode to see if maybe he just needed to use his soap-box to get that out of his system but I won't watch a whole season of that.

I have a huge "show hole" right now for political comedy talk-shows. I don't care if people bash Trump, just make it justified and on-point. As John Stewart once commented though, I like when they just mock the absurdity of the system. Anyway, the panda is quite sad :(

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
You guys are such fags.

Did you even listen to him?

He said he will get back to those neutral pieces, but his first episode back he had to tackle Trump because hes been off since the election and its by far the biggest story of the year and the next few years.

He will be back to normal shit next week. You guys cannot hear a single bad thing about trump without turtling and being fags.

My wife hates trump. Im on the trump train. We both found his piece funny without being overly pandering. the whole commercial thing is fucking hilarious no matter what side you end up on. Even if you are Pro trump you can admit he has flaws, No one is perfect. And that shit was funny.

You sound like Twitter lib fags whining about someone at the Grammys.

Man the fuck up. For people thowing shade at SJWs for how weak they are, this thread seems like something they would do.

"OH NOES HE COMPLAINED ABOUT TRUMP MY FEELS"

Im goingto go back to Cowboying

the show is LAST WEEK TONIGHT

What the fuck else is he goin to cover that happened in the last week? And as a return episode they started prep weeks ago.

My guess is next week is a bit about Dams and such.

• 5Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 6 users

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
No it isn't.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
No it isn't.
The show also jumped the shark early last year, when Obama was still in office. This isn't really new, it was literally all of the last season.

And Gunnar, you might have a better point if every fucking show last season wasn't him bitching about Trump. That's all they fucking did. Will they return to regular shit? Maybe. But a lot of us are spent on it and won't be around to find out.

• 1Like

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
My favorite John Oliver segment was when he said that if the french don't import millions of muslim migrants, then they'll all be dead in the future because of low birth rates and then like a month later a bunch of Muslims slaughtered 150 people in the nation's capitol.

Good stuff from Johnny trigger warning.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
The show also jumped the shark early last year, when Obama was still in office. This isn't really new, it was literally all of the last season.
And Gunnar, you might have a better point if every fucking show last season wasn't him bitching about Trump. That's all they fucking did. Will they return to regular shit? Maybe. But a lot of us are spent on it and won't be around to find out.

LOL. You are so dramatic.
Below is a list of the segments.

30 fucking episodes and the main segment was about trump twice, at the start of his season and the end. Add in one segment on the RNC, and one about him and hilary's controversies. But he was the main target twice. If you cant take a joke or two in the open about him you are a pussy. Itsa comedy show and the presidential race was a goddamn gold mine.

List of Last Week Tonight with John Oliver episodes - Wikipedia
verall No. in
season
Main segment Original air date

60 1 Voter ID laws in the United States February 14, 2016 1.02
Other segments: Death of Justice Antonin Scalia and the Thurmond Rule, food safety issues at Chipotle restaurants, Steven Joyce getting hit in the face with a dildo
61 2 Abortion in the United States February 21, 2016 0.92
Other segments: South Carolina Republican primary, 2016 United States Supreme Court vacancy, Hollywood whitewashing of movie roles
62 3 Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016 February 28, 2016 0.70
Main article: Donald Trump (Last Week Tonight)
Other segments: Egyptian economic crisis, President Obama's attempts to close Guantanamo Bay
63 4 Special-purpose districts March 6, 2016 0.82[71]
Other segments: 2016 Republican Party presidential primaries, Gloria Steinem's interview with Lands' End
64 5 FBI–Apple encryption dispute March 13, 2016 0.96[72]
Other segments: 2016 United States presidential election, International Women's Day, Switzerland's Day of the Sick
65 6 Proposal for a border wall between the U.S. and Mexico March 20, 2016 0.93
Main article: Border Wall (Last Week Tonight)
Other segments: 2015–16 protests in Brazil and Petrobras scandal, Merrick Garland Supreme Court nomination
66 7 Congressional fundraising April 3, 2016 0.95[74]
Other segments: 2016 Nuclear Security Summit, 2016 Opening Day in baseball and the New York Yankees
67 8 Credit scores in the United States (Equifax, Experian, TransUnion) and background checks April 10, 2016 0.91[75]
Segments: Panama Papers, Alabama Governor Robert Bentley's alleged ethics violations
68 9 Flint water crisis and lead poisoning April 17, 2016 0.85[76]
Other segments: Vladimir Putin's annual call-in show, reactions to the Panama Papers in the United Kingdom, Böhmermann affair
69 10 Puerto Rican government-debt crisis April 24, 2016 1.34[77]
Other segments: President Obama's visit to Saudi Arabia and the United Kingdom, Norway Minister of Migration's policies on asylum seekers
70 11 Scientific research and science journalism May 8, 2016 1.42[78]
Other segments: 2016 Republican Party presidential primaries, 2016 Philippine general election and candidate Rodrigo Duterte, 7th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea
71 12 911 emergency telephone number May 15, 2016 1.38[79]
Other segments: Donald Trump presidential campaign, Elizabeth II filmed calling Chinese officials "very rude", Budweiser beer renamed as America Beer, Paul LePage
72 13 Democratic and Republican presidential primaries and the primary process May 22, 2016 1.27[80]
Other segments: Ongoing Venezuelan protests, Elbowgate, Ramzan Kadyrov
73 14 Debt buying industry June 5, 2016 1.61[81]
Other segments: Legal affairs of Donald Trump, Trump University
74 15 Retirement plans and financial advisers June 12, 2016 1.21[82]
Other segments: 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting, Hillary Clinton becoming the Democratic presumptive nominee and social media in the 2016 U.S. Presidential campaign
75 16 United Kingdom European Union membership referendum, 2016 June 19, 2016 1.44[83]
Other segments: 2016 Orlando nightclub shooting, National Rifle Association, Dickey Amendment (1996)
76 17 2016 Summer Olympics and doping in sports June 26, 2016 1.53[84]
Other segments: Aftermath of the United Kingdom EU membership referendum
77 18 2016 Republican National Convention July 24, 2016 1.09[85]
Other segments: 2016 Democratic vice presidential selection, Boris Johnson being named as UK Foreign Secretary, campaign songs
78 19 2016 Democratic National Convention July 31, 2016 1.27[86]
Other segments: Voter ID laws in the United States, 2016 Turkish purges
79 20 Decline of newspapers in the United States August 7, 2016 1.01
80 21 Car finance and subprime lending August 14, 2016 0.97[88]
Other segments: Donald Trump controversies, American Petroleum Institute lobbying
81 22 Charter schools in the United States August 21, 2016 1.15[89]
Other segments: Ryan Lochte Olympic scandal, Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016
82 23 Hillary Clinton's controversies and Donald Trump's controversies September 25, 2016 0.88[90]
Other segments: Shooting of Keith Lamont Scott, Wells Fargo account creation scandal
83 24 Police accountability and police reform October 2, 2016 1.10[91]
Other segments: First United States presidential debate, Alicia Machado, Wells Fargo followup
84 25 Guantanamo Bay detention camp October 9, 2016 1.08[92]
Other segments: Donald Trump Access Hollywood controversy, Ramzan Kadyrov
85 26 Jill Stein presidential campaign, 2016 and Gary Johnson presidential campaign, 2016 October 16, 2016 1.34[93]
Other segments: Donald Trump presidential campaign, 2016
86 27 Opioid abuse October 23, 2016 1.18[94]
Other segments: Third presidential debate, Alfred E. Smith Memorial Foundation Dinner
87 28 School segregation in the United States October 30, 2016 1.03[95]
Other segments: Renewed investigation into Hillary Clinton's emails, 2016
88 29 Multi-level marketing November 6, 2016 1.05[96]
Segments: United States elections, 2016
89 30 2016 United States election results November 13, 2016 1.17[97]
Main article: President-Elect Trump (Last Week Tonight)

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah, but every single episode bitched about him. Sure, maybe he didn't only focus on Trump, but holy shit give it a rest.

I stopped watching early in the year (early Summer?) and it was every single fucking episode. Yeah, I can buy that maybe around the election you can't avoid it, but it was incessant.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
You guys are such fags.

Did you even listen to him?

He said he will get back to those neutral pieces, but his first episode back he had to tackle Trump because hes been off since the election and its by far the biggest story of the year and the next few years.

He will be back to normal shit next week. You guys cannot hear a single bad thing about trump without turtling and being fags.

My wife hates trump. Im on the trump train. We both found his piece funny without being overly pandering. the whole commercial thing is fucking hilarious no matter what side you end up on. Even if you are Pro trump you can admit he has flaws, No one is perfect. And that shit was funny.

You sound like Twitter lib fags whining about someone at the Grammys.

Man the fuck up. For people thowing shade at SJWs for how weak they are, this thread seems like something they would do.

"OH NOES HE COMPLAINED ABOUT TRUMP MY FEELS"

Im goingto go back to Cowboying

the show is LAST WEEK TONIGHT

What the fuck else is he goin to cover that happened in the last week? And as a return episode they started prep weeks ago.

My guess is next week is a bit about Dams and such.

I don't care if he talks bad about Trump. It's just the content was poor, like it has been when he went all faggot with the SJW shit. And it's getting old at this point, it's over. Sack up and deal. If he gets back to good stuff I will start watching again, I don't hold a grudge but I have no desire to tune in to that shit for 30 minutes and listen to him or anyone cry anymore. It's old.

• 1Like

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
Heaven forbid he uses a fact-based critique on the current administration, which supposedly(?) matters as it affects most of those on this forum.

• 1Like

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Don't know how people can watch this show, it's basically become CNN with shitty jokes and profanity.

• 1Like

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Yeah, but every single episode bitched about him. Sure, maybe he didn't only focus on Trump, but holy shit give it a rest.

I stopped watching early in the year (early Summer?) and it was every single fucking episode. Yeah, I can buy that maybe around the election you can't avoid it, but it was incessant.

So you literally admit that you stopped watching and didnt see alot of the episodes...yet complain it was on every one?

You sound like an ill informed protester.

Gravel is Fake News

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I don't care if he talks bad about Trump. It's just the content was poor, like it has been when he went all faggot with the SJW shit. And it's getting old at this point, it's over. Sack up and deal. If he gets back to good stuff I will start watching again, I don't hold a grudge but I have no desire to tune in to that shit for 30 minutes and listen to him or anyone cry anymore. It's old.

Please explain how he went SJW. Do you know what that means? Does not loving trump = SJW?

I dont see how you can think buying commericals on every major morning news show to "Educate" the president with hilarious spoof commercials is the same as evderyone else, or like CNN.

• 1Like

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
He did a segment on Online Abuse and cited Anita Sarkeesian and Wu Trans Clan. That kind of set the tone for me to doubt the research on the show.

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Were any of the issues he brought up about Trump incorrect?

Legitimately asking

• 1Solidarity

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Don't know. Don't watch. Dipped out on him and Colbert during #GG. Bill Burr should host The Daily Show.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Were any of the issues he brought up about Trump incorrect?

Legitimately asking

No. Supporters would ignore the things brought up and not think of it. But it was all fair criticism of thingsbhe says that isn't fact, and how he consumes cable news which is a known,

And had a funny clip of him on Air Force one watching fox, and then some funny bits about commercials.

• 1Like

Rangoth

Blackwing Lair Raider
Please explain how he went SJW. Do you know what that means? Does not loving trump = SJW?

I dont see how you can think buying commericals on every major morning news show to "Educate" the president with hilarious spoof commercials is the same as evderyone else, or like CNN.

As the post right below this stated, I meant "he went all SJW" about other topics, not Trump related at all and those were terrible episodes as well. I'm fine with jokes against anyone, Trump included, but I prefer unbiased, fact based content at the core. Like the episodes he did on special districts or the shitty used car sale thing, or the pyramid schemes or whatever they are called...Direct Sales I think. That's all funny. He can bash Trump and whatever stupid shit Trump does if he wants. I have no beef with that, but I don't need to hear him cry for an entire episode about half-truths and shit that doesn't even matter.

That's the general theme of the left now. It is not funny and the content is suffering because of it. As someone else said earlier in this thread, think recently, I liked how the show was originally like a modern day 60 minutes(but really only about 20 I think) but with pretty good comedy mixed in. It went from that to political(100%) and it's lame.

• 1Like