Let's build some pools!

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
That looks really small, what are the dimensions on that? Who is it for, a family of hobbits?
All that that backyard could handle. It might have been 9-10k gallons. Here's a normal size one I plastered last week. Looks nice, little swim up bar.
IMG_20230803_111801185.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Finished that little play pool a few weeks ago.
View attachment 486083

That looks amazeballs. Great pool in limited space, and you even spiced it up with a waterfall. That's good work right there!

The white circles along the left side of the picture, are those drains?

I have the deck guys coming back right now to at least attempt to backfill it properly. If it gets fucked they will have to fix it.

They'll have to fix it. Getting that packed in right again is virtually impossible. Too bad, but not that hard a fix.

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
That looks amazeballs. Great pool in limited space, and you even spiced it up with a waterfall. That's good work right there!

The white circles along the left side of the picture, are those drains?

They'll have to fix it. Getting that packed in right again is virtually impossible. Too bad, but not that hard a fix.
Yep, when you have a tight space between an existing patio and a pool you have to add mucho drains. Everything has to drain away from the house and the pool so it's either little 4" bowl drains or channel drains. We don't usually use channel drains unless there's a big oopsie to fix because the elevation of the pool is too high or too low.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Yep, when you have a tight space between an existing patio and a pool you have to add mucho drains. Everything has to drain away from the house and the pool so it's either little 4" bowl drains or channel drains. We don't usually use channel drains unless there's a big oopsie to fix because the elevation of the pool is too high or too low.

Where does it go? Do you have to create a huge french drain somewhere, or can you put it to the street?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
How big and how much?
14x28 with a sun shelf and a water feature. We dont have a back patio per se, just a 15x15 lanai so they are also going to double the lanai space (concrete floor and extend out the roof) going out from the house and then install the pool there so it is more of a free standing structure (not connected to the house proper). Four sided screen enclosure around the pool.
$70k. the 15x30 quote drops the water feature and adds the built-in spa instead. $90k.

• 1Wow!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
14x28 with a sun shelf and a water feature. We dont have a back patio per se, just a 15x15 lanai so they are also going to double the lanai space (concrete floor and extend out the roof) going out from the house and then install the pool there so it is more of a free standing structure (not connected to the house proper). Four sided screen enclosure around the pool.
$70k. the 15x30 quote drops the water feature and adds the built-in spa instead. $90k.
Don't forget the $200 a month for maintenance and electricity!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
$70k for a pool that's about 12k gallons, screen enclosure, and extending out an existing patio cover type thing? That's not bad at all. How many square feet of decking? What exactly do you mean by "built-in" with the spa?

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
$70k for a pool that's about 12k gallons, screen enclosure, and extending out an existing patio cover type thing? That's not bad at all. How many square feet of decking? What exactly do you mean by "built-in" with the spa?
It's 3' of decking (concrete with acrylic on it). I meant one of the spas that attach to it and drop the water into the pool.

Pool guy said these type of spas aren't therapeutic, the jets just sort of move the water around. He said that he honestly doesn't recommend people get them if they want a therapeutic spa he suggests adding a stand-a lone jacuzzi style pool and having the $20k or in our case using the savings to add stuff like water features.

Edit: it's a salt pool.

• 1Like

TheBeagle

JunkiesNetwork Donor
It's 3' of decking (concrete with acrylic on it). I meant one of the spas that attach to it and drop the water into the pool.

Pool guy said these type of spas aren't therapeutic, the jets just sort of move the water around. He said that he honestly doesn't recommend people get them if they want a therapeutic spa he suggests adding a stand-a lone jacuzzi style pool and having the $20k or in our case using the savings to add stuff like water features.

Edit: it's a salt pool.
Sounds like a good price to me. The acrylic deck is nice, looks good and is cooler on your feet than bare concrete, but only having 3' around it is unusual where I'm at. Maybe a regional thing. Did you get a bid from Blue Haven by chance? If yes, you should PM me. I heard they used to do the 3' decking thing back in the day.

You 100% want the pool/spa. You will end up using your spa more than the pool.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Sounds like a good price to me. The acrylic deck is nice, looks good and is cooler on your feet than bare concrete, but only having 3' around it is unusual where I'm at. Maybe a regional thing. Did you get a bid from Blue Haven by chance? If yes, you should PM me. I heard they used to do the 3' decking thing back in the day.

You 100% want the pool/spa. You will end up using your spa more than the pool.
I am out in the boonies so only a couple of local options for builders available. We are leaning toward skipping the built in spa and going with a stand-alone next to the lanai and doing a nice elevated 360 deck around it. I will DM you the 3-d drawing they gave us.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Don't forget the $200 a month for maintenance and electricity!

power bill depends on location obviously but ive got a 25k gallon salt pool i maintain myself and counting new filters every two years and a new salt cell every five im at probably 30-40 bucks a month max. Add another 10 bucks for power (variable speed pumps save you a lot).

i said it before but dialed in salt pools are almost zero work unless you build it between a shit ton of constantly shedding trees or something