Losing your Job

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What do you like to do? Do you have a "dream job" that you would do if you could go back?

Mine would be cryptography. Those were my favorite classes in school. I did really well and I loved the math. If I could go back and be 18 again, 100% that is what I would do. I like what I do now, though.

Have you ever read The Black Chamber by Herbert Yardley? If not, that will be RIGHT up your alley as it is all about turn of the 20th century cryptography and it gets really technical. I highly recommend it.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Never too late to be in school. People here in their 50s are getitng PhDs, MBAs, etc...

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Speaking of school shit, I want to start collecting a few additional useful certifications to eventually have other options in my career path. Basically every position I look at in my realm of interest requires PMP and/or more often Six Sigma (usually lean rather than motoriginal flavor).

I can't get a PMP right now due to project management requirements not quite at where they need to be. However, I do want to get lean green. Has anyone done this online and/or any recommendations? I don't trust these "$300 test today" sites but I'm rather uninterested in paying 3 grand as well.
I took an online Six Sigma Green Belt Masters Certificate course through Villanova a few years ago, largely because my company was willing to pay for it. Just like any other online program, it's really what you make of it. I found myself hurrying through the content just to pass the tests after a while, and I much prefer classroom instruction where I can get away from family and other distractions when it's "school time." One thing about Six Sigma, though - the test is just one part of it. In order to earn an actual Green or Black Belt, you have to successfully participate in and/or lead some improvement projects and apply for actual accreditation (similar to PMP).

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I took an online Six Sigma Green Belt Masters Certificate course through Villanova a few years ago, largely because my company was willing to pay for it. Just like any other online program, it's really what you make of it. I found myself hurrying through the content just to pass the tests after a while, and I much prefer classroom instruction where I can get away from family and other distractions when it's "school time." One thing about Six Sigma, though - the test is just one part of it. In order to earn an actual Green or Black Belt, you have to successfully participate in and/or lead some improvement projects and apply for actual accreditation (similar to PMP).

Yea that I can do, just don't have the amount of work over years for PMP.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
It helps with jobs, but as my current boss said, if a place doesn't hire you for a PM position without one, you don't want the job because people there are too stupid to read a resume.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
I find the worst thing about those kinds of credentials is the continuing education requirements

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Six sigma is such fucking trash

I'm convinced it was designed by an undergrad business major as a means to appear like they had any idea what they were doing.

• 1Solidarity

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I've been given homework for the second interview at the hospital next week:

Fifteen minute presentation on your perspective of eLearning Strategies and Best Practices in a multi-disciplinary healthcare environment

I can do that.

I do have a question for you homies. I want to create a fun PPT template for my presentation. Something with stylized character art. Are there any (free-ish) online tools that could help me put together fun stuff kinda like this:
HiRes.373by2803.png

I cooooould do them by hand, but if there's something out there where I can just create a bunch with a sweet tool, then that's what I'd rather use.

Pemulis

Not Woke
<Bronze Donator>
Can the people look like bananas? I might have just the guy who can help

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I dont know bisi. I turn down interviews for companies with assignments like that. It's essentially free work and possible material they are going to take. I say you want to pay me, assess my skills in an interview and then hire my ass.

Ao-

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
<WoW Guild Officer>
I've been given homework for the second interview at the hospital next week:

Fifteen minute presentation on your perspective of eLearning Strategies and Best Practices in a multi-disciplinary healthcare environment

I can do that.

I do have a question for you homies. I want to create a fun PPT template for my presentation. Something with stylized character art. Are there any (free-ish) online tools that could help me put together fun stuff kinda like this:
View attachment 127894

I cooooould do them by hand, but if there's something out there where I can just create a bunch with a sweet tool, then that's what I'd rather use.
make it yourself bro. Time and effort for a custom detail (like the hospital name on a gown or something) would go a long way.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Have been working freelance for the last two years, projects dried up recently. Being on the job hunt sucks. Timed, automated tests with no feedback are apparently the new hot shit in development. I've had two companies ask me to take 75 minute tests on HackerRank and another that had me do a 45 minute supervised coding challenge that I got correct but "failed" due to the technical equivalent of using the wrong color pen.

Fuckin sucks just getting to the in-person interview stage these days.

• 1Solidarity

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Coding tests really piss me off.

I've been coding professionally for 4 years, and before that I was coding in school for another 4. I've worked at a fortune 500 company, a defense contractor, and a startup (sort of)... what do you gain seeing how I'd solve some stupid ass algorithm question about some topic covered in my 3rd year algorithms course?

I think coding tests are useful for junior engineers fresh out of school, but it's insulting after that level. No other jobs are like that.

• 1Solidarity

LulzSect

Well-Known Memer
<Banned>
Another final round elsewhere later today. No word on last weeks final round (probably no at this point). At least the interviews keep coming in. So at least I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I used to have a coworker that loved to ask applicants out of college to draw logic devices (like a counter) from memory on his whiteboard. Always thought that guy was a jackass. I'm much more interested in finding out what a person is like and if they will fit in with the job than seeing if they can remember some random fact from their sophomore year digital devices class.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I used to have a coworker that loved to ask applicants out of college to draw logic devices (like a counter) from memory on his whiteboard. Always thought that guy was a jackass. I'm much more interested in finding out what a person is like and if they will fit in with the job than seeing if they can remember some random fact from their sophomore year digital devices class.
Yeah I had a guy ask me to draw a logic diagram of the 16bit risc machine we made two years prior. Like. Really man?