Marvel Universe stuff

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Can't recall 100% but I think I remember the Russo Brothers addressed this in an interview. Thor was actually more powerful when he fought Thanos alongside Cap and Iron Man during Endgame.

They did say that, but the actual movies don't show that at all.

In Infinity Wars, Thor comes in at the end and essentially kills Thanos who has the full gauntlet, then in Endgame he and Cap get beat by Thanos who doesn't have any stones

Chris

Potato del Grande

In Infinity Wars, Thor comes in at the end and essentially kills Thanos who has the full gauntlet, then in Endgame he and Cap get beat by Thanos who doesn't have any stones
Thanos is the same power level with and without the stones if he isn't actively using them (specifically Power Stone).

So a surprise axe in the chest is doing the same damage in either scenario.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
There's no way Endgame Thor is more powerful than IW Thor. In IW he's still at peak physicality and has a strong mental focus on vengeance, in Endgame he's a fat drunken slob in complete mental disarray regardless of the small pat on the back the borrowed Mjolnir gave him.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Thanos is the same power level with and without the stones if he isn't actively using them (specifically Power Stone).

So a surprise axe in the chest is doing the same damage in either scenario.

Where does it ever say that? When he takes the axe to the chest its suggested he dies but because of the soul stone he's able to come back

Chris

Potato del Grande
Where does it ever say that? When he takes the axe to the chest its suggested he dies but because of the soul stone he's able to come back
We are told what each stone does in the various movies they debut in and see them in action.

They don't make your skin harder or combat abilities better like stats on RPG gear, you use a stone and it does it's power.

Thanos shot a laser at Thor with the stones and Stormbreaker was able to deflect it because of it's Bifrost powers. That doesn't mean that in melee combat Thor would be beating him.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
its suggested he dies but because of the soul stone he's able to come back
The Soul Stone brought Tony and Thanos to the Way Station to deal with an unresolved issue, in both cases it happened to be guilt over their daughters. Had nothing to do with dying, Thanos was just strong enough to survive using the stones with an axe in his chest.

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I thought Thanos used the time stone to reverse the axe to the chest, I could have sworn there was green magic stuff indicating this.

Hmm, rewatched the scene, guess that was in my imagination.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I thought Thanos used the time stone to reverse the axe to the chest, I could have sworn there was green magic stuff indicating this.

Hmm, rewatched the scene, guess that was in my imagination.
thanoschest.png

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
The Soul Stone brought Tony and Thanos to the Way Station to deal with an unresolved issue, in both cases it happened to be guilt over their daughters. Had nothing to do with dying, Thanos was just strong enough to survive using the stones with an axe in his chest.

Had no idea wtf you were talking about until I looked it up and saw there was a deleted scene.

Figured it was related to death because Gamora's death, but obviously Tony's daughter never died so I guess not

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Had no idea wtf you were talking about until I looked it up and saw there was a deleted scene.

Figured it was related to death because Gamora's death, but obviously Tony's daughter never died so I guess not
In fairness I only learned about it myself like yesterday.

Even with finished CGI and less wooden dialogue I don't think the scene would have worked, so I understand the decision to cut it. Banner talking to Nat might have been interesting and wouldn't have destroyed the pacing like Stark's scene would have, but then the lack of a scene for Stark would have seemed weird.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Banner and Stark didn't have to sacrifice someone they loved like Thanos or Hawkeye in order to get the soul stone either

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty sure Banner loved Natasha more than Hawkeye did
Eh. They obviously got close in the time leading up to Age of Ultron but his disappearance to Sakaar ended that relationship and I don't see any sign in Endgame that they got back together during the time leading up to the blip. I'm sure he still considered her a very close friend but not as close as her and Clint. He's obviously still torn up with survivor's guilt during the TV show.

If we were gonna get a Way Station scene with Stark, I think Yinsen would have been better than a grown-up Morgan.

• 1Like

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
Eh. They obviously got close in the time leading up to Age of Ultron but his disappearance to Sakaar ended that relationship and I don't see any sign in Endgame that they got back together during the time leading up to the blip. I'm sure he still considered her a very close friend but not as close as her and Clint. He's obviously still torn up with survivor's guilt during the TV show.

If we were gonna get a Way Station scene with Stark, I think Yinsen would have been better than a grown-up Morgan.

I'm not really clear on what the Way Station is for. If it's who you'll miss the most, then Morgan is by far the best choice and as a father it's by far the most moving.

And another reason for Banner is he doesn't really have anyone else while Clint has a wife and several kids. She's, at most, #5 or so on his list of people he cares about

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

in Ragnarok, there is that scene where Thor is arguing with the ship's password computer that he was the "strongest Avenger" and the computer kept telling him that wasnt his password (Hulk was strongest).

in Infinity War, Hulk went full tilt against Thanos who promptly schooled Hulk and he never used his Power Stone.

Thanos is just that powerful on his own, he really only needed the NES Power Glove to enact his plan of cutting the population of the universe in half.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I mean Thanos solo's Iron Man, Thor with Mjolnir and Stormbreaker, and Cap in Endgame. He does this without any of the stones.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Ambiturner

Ssraeszha Raider
in Ragnarok, there is that scene where Thor is arguing with the ship's password computer that he was the "strongest Avenger" and the computer kept telling him that wasnt his password (Hulk was strongest).

in Infinity War, Hulk went full tilt against Thanos who promptly schooled Hulk and he never used his Power Stone.

Thanos is just that powerful on his own, he really only needed the NES Power Glove to enact his plan of cutting the population of the universe in half.

Thor also beat Hulk in that movie.

You also have Wanda shit stomping Thanos as well.

So like all superheroes their power level is whatever the writer wants it to be at any given moment

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member

So like all superheroes their power level is whatever the writer wants it to be at any given moment
well, Wanda was always a wild card, nobody knew the limits of her powers, probably not even her. in Ultron she was extremely dangerous to everyone.

that Hulk v Thor fight i think was more him being outsmarted than being overpowered

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>

Even taking into account this is made up shit, "power levels" are never just a X > Y as if two dudes are at a carnival hitting the strength machine with a hammer. Combat encounters always involve a ton of variables, someone who is technically more powerful objectively can lose to someone weaker for a variety of reasons.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users